hail2mich

GDT: #22 BYU at Michigan 9/26/2015

Incredible. The most encouraging thing today was listening to the wolverine.com pod cast and it appears that Harbaugh's offensive play calling is a potential x factor. While Rudock sucks, the kernel of hope we have is that an offensive mastermind is calling the shots. It is true, at times I felt like "how can these guys be so wide open" and then I realized it's all about how we're setting up the little plays we do have. I like our coach's chances against their coaches every single Saturday. That is something new. Not sure I've even felt that in my lifetime. (27 years).

Incredible. The most encouraging thing today was listening to the wolverine.com pod cast and it appears that Harbaugh's offensive play calling is a potential x factor. While Rudock sucks, the kernel of hope we have is that an offensive mastermind is calling the shots. It is true, at times I felt like "how can these guys be so wide open" and then I realized it's all about how we're setting up the little plays we do have. I like our coach's chances against their coaches every single Saturday. That is something new. Not sure I've even felt that in my lifetime. (27 years).

Rudock has certainly struggled a bit so far, but he's still a better QB than we've had since Henne. Denard obviously being the exception in that he was incredibly effective as runner.

And Rudock still has plenty of opportunity to improve, like basically everyone else on the team has week to week. Quarterbacking a new offense is more complicated than about anything else in football, so even with Jim coaching him, it might take a bit longer.

Also, Moeller's offense was pretty spectacular, maybe that was just before your time.

Also, Moeller's offense was pretty spectacular, maybe that was just before your time.

hard to forgive Moeller for being a drunk :wink: Probably cost M a championship or two. He is a great football coach.

hard to forgive Moeller for being a drunk :wink: Probably cost M a championship or two. He is a great football coach.

I still can't believe he got run out of town for that. He must have been an absolute prick towards the alums that had pull.

I really liked what Moeller did with the program transitioning from Schembachler.

I still can't believe he got run out of town for that. He must have been an absolute prick towards the alums that had pull.

I really liked what Moeller did with the program transitioning from Schembachler.

To me, the 1992 9-0-3 season--which included a tie with OSU--was Mo's chance at permanence with Michigan. That football team was one of the best I've ever seen in AA, no excuse for three ties that year. Wasn't it true that his alcoholism/drunk driving were ongoing problems?

Wow -- what a different good coaching can make. I don't expect Michigan to beat the likes of Ohio State or Michigan State, but we now have a competent and competitive football team that is actually fun to watch.

.... Wasn't it true that his alcoholism/drunk driving were ongoing problems?

Yeah - From the buzz around town at the time, it would be easy to conclude the episode that he was dismissed over was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

To me, the 1992 9-0-3 season--which included a tie with OSU--was Mo's chance at permanence with Michigan. That football team was one of the best I've ever seen in AA, no excuse for three ties that year. Wasn't it true that his alcoholism/drunk driving were ongoing problems?

What I've always heard about that was Michigan asked him to go to some rehab program as a condition of keeping his job. He refused. I don't know if that's true though.

I obviously have no clue whether or not Moeller turned down rehab instead of keeping his job, but I personally find it hard to believe he chose being fired over going to rehab.

Wow -- what a different good coaching can make. I don't expect Michigan to beat the likes of Ohio State or Michigan State, but we now have a competent and competitive football team that is actually fun to watch.

I have doubts about the offense but I think it's reasonable to expect them to beat the State team we've seen so far. Rudock has to be better, more like his first half BYU performance though because I don't see them getting it done on the ground. Both teams will have the opportunity to improve before the game so we will see.

I have doubts about the offense but I think it's reasonable to expect them to beat the State team we've seen so far. Rudock has to be better, more like his first half BYU performance though because I don't see them getting it done on the ground. Both teams will have the opportunity to improve before the game so we will see.

Rudock is a placeholder for this season, yet despite his faults he is the best passing QB we've had since Henne. If he can manage games like he did against BYU then our offense should be able to put up enough points -- especially if our defense continues to be as dominant as it has been.

Given that OSU and MSU have loft expectations and have dominated UM for essentially a decade, I wouldn't be surprised if the UM game will be a trap game for at least one opponent.

Rudock has certainly struggled a bit so far, but he's still a better QB than we've had since Henne. Denard obviously being the exception in that he was incredibly effective as runner.

May the Forcier be with you

Rudock is a placeholder for this season, yet despite his faults he is the best passing QB we've had since Henne. If he can manage games like he did against BYU then our offense should be able to put up enough points -- especially if our defense continues to be as dominant as it has been.

Given that OSU and MSU have loft expectations and have dominated UM for essentially a decade, I wouldn't be surprised if the UM game will be a trap game for at least one opponent.

Seems unlikely to me either OSU or MSU will view UM as an unworthy opponent if UM strings together a bunch of wins.

Seems unlikely to me either OSU or MSU will view UM as an unworthy opponent if UM strings together a bunch of wins.

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting OSU and MSU would view UM as being an unworthy opponent; yet I would suggest years of dominance over UM would taint any sense of primal rage those opponents have had in the past.

In other words, OSU and MSU have dominated UM for so long they take impending victory for granted, thus dampening the emotional aspect of the rivalry.

After the first 3 games, I wasn't sure what we had learned yet about this Michigan team. But surely the lesson from Saturday is to never underestimate the immediate impact that a jolt of inspiration from an iconic leader who oozes class can have on a team:

CP1oW9xWgAAb749.jpg

My co-workers who are Buckeye fans appeared nervous this morning. I'm sure the MSU fans I know are simply filled with the usual grinding hatred of M

My co-workers who are Buckeye fans appeared nervous this morning. I'm sure the MSU fans I know are simply filled with the usual grinding hatred of M

They're all hoping for the Colts to go winless for the rest of the season, b/c Hardballs cannot possibly resist an NFL job.

To me Rudock has put together one good half and while I agree that performance was good enough, I'm not confident yet.

As for State...they just haven't looked good this season. Judging by their message boards at least some of their supporters are noticing. Apparently they had a lot of starters out Saturday so maybe that was part of the issue. Anyway, I don't think Dantonio will ever look past a Michigan game.

To me Rudock has put together one good half and while I agree that performance was good enough, I'm not confident yet.

As for State...they just haven't looked good this season. Judging by their message boards at least some of their supporters are noticing. Apparently they had a lot of starters out Saturday so maybe that was part of the issue. Anyway, I don't think Dantonio will ever look past a Michigan game.

I honestly have no idea what to expect from the M/MSU game. This is a good thing.

I mean Tate was great for a few games iirc. But otherwise pretty bad. My memory might not be that great tho.

Somewhat related, I went back and looked at Moeller's seasons closer and they weren't as good as I remembered.

What I've always heard about that was Michigan asked him to go to some rehab program as a condition of keeping his job. He refused. I don't know if that's true though.

I thought it was the reverse- he had been asked to get his drinking under control for years prior to the incident and that was the final straw b/c they felt it publicly embarrassed the university. Plus, Carr was seen as his equal or close to it and there probably wasn't going to be a drop off.