hail2mich

GDT: #22 BYU at Michigan 9/26/2015

I'm feeling a little bit more optimistic about the Michigan State game now. They still have a long way to go in order to give MSU a scare, but if they continue to keep improving each week, we may just see a couple of ranked teams playing each other when Michigan plays Michigan State. Especially if Utah and pull the upset today and beat Oregon.

So far:

* Rudock is playing a very smart game, and that is all you want from him. He has had some great runs, and accurate passing!

* The defense has been simply amazing today. They really look good. This defense can lead this team to big wins if they continue improving each week like they have.

* The offense as a whole (RB's, Receivers, OL) have had a great game as well. It's hard to find anything to be critical of today.

Bottom line, BYU isn't a push over team, and Michigan is whooping their tails. Great day for Michigan and the Harbaugh regime!

And the shutout is complete. Michigan again went vanilla in the second half.

BYU had 12 possessions and punted on 11...they didn't punt on the 12th because the game ended. Seven...SEVEN 3 and outs. Top 5 defense. This is fun. 3-1 with two winnable games coming up.

I'm feeling a little bit more optimistic about the Michigan State game now. They still have a long way to go in order to give MSU a scare, but if they continue to keep improving each week, we may just see a couple of ranked teams playing each other when Michigan plays Michigan State. Especially if Utah and pull the upset today and beat Oregon.

So far:

* Rudock is playing a very smart game, and that is all you want from him. He has had some great runs, and accurate passing!

* The defense has been simply amazing today. They really look good. This defense can lead this team to big wins if they continue improving each week like they have.

* The offense as a whole (RB's, Receivers, OL) have had a great game as well. It's hard to find anything to be critical of today.

Bottom line, BYU isn't a push over team, and Michigan is whooping their tails. Great day for Michigan and the Harbaugh regime!

I don't think State has looked that dominant. Their run defense looks good but their pass defense not so much. Of course that's probably a plus for them against Michigan.

I don't think State has looked that dominant. Their run defense looks good but their pass defense not so much. Of course that's probably a plus for them against Michigan.

Yeah, since Oregon, they have looked a little flat footed. Still, comparing both teams right now, I think they are easily 10+ point favorites when they play Michigan. We'll see. That NW team looks pretty good so far, and I'll be interested in seeing how Michigan does against them in a few weeks. That should be a pretty good measuring stick in determining Michigan's chances of victory against MSU this year.

The last time these two teams played it was when byu was #1 and michigan was in its worst season under bo.

I was at that game. Traffic jam at the stadium was epic, took longer to get there and get in than to watch the game, which itself turned out to be a total waste of an evening.

And the shutout is complete. Michigan again went vanilla in the second half.

BYU had 12 possessions and punted on 11...they didn't punt on the 12th because the game ended. Seven...SEVEN 3 and outs. Top 5 defense. This is fun. 3-1 with two winnable games coming up.

yeah - at the end of the half I was ready for a Jim Price "Wow", but the O-line was uninspiring in the 2nd half and Rudock suddenly looked wrong footed again. I wonder if Harbaugh threw some stuff at the O they hadn't worked on a lot. Also the power sweep was notably absent from the game plan.

The D looks for real though. They haven't had the corners to play this kind of man-to-man since the days of Woodsen and Law. It's not a glamour position anymore but I'm still surprised coaches don't push harder to get great athletes to play corner - it just opens up a world of options for a defense to have good corners.

Edited by Gehringer_2

yeah - at the end of the half I was ready for a Jim Price "Wow", but the O-line was uninspiring in the 2nd half and Rudock suddenly looked wrong footed again. I wonder if Harbaugh threw some stuff at the O they hadn't worked on a lot. Also the power sweep was notably absent from the game plan.

The D looks for real though. They haven't had the corners to play this kind of man-to-man since the days of Woodsen and Law. It's not a glamour position anymore but I'm still surprised coaches don't push harder to get great athletes to play corner - it just opens up a world of options for a defense to have good corners.

I get the sense that Harbaugh has no qualms about closing down the playbook when the game is at hand, with this defense doing what it's doing.

That said, I didn't watch the 2nd half very closely so maybe it was more of a lack of execution rather than having the guys play on hard mode.

I get the sense that Harbaugh has no qualms about closing down the playbook when the game is at hand, with this defense doing what it's doing.

That said, I didn't watch the 2nd half very closely so maybe it was more of a lack of execution rather than having the guys play on hard mode.

I imagine it's a little difficult to give the same energy and effort when you have a 31 point lead to start the second half. On top of that, I don't know a whole lot about Harbaugh's coaching technique, but I imagine he becomes vanilla on purpose, when there is a big lead in the second half.

Might also mean our depth isn't good.

I don't think they got to that until deep into the last quarter.

I just watched the 2nd half on DVR. The offense had 4 real drives and they didn't put points up on any of them, but they got at least a first down on all 4 and could have had points on the last drive if they wanted. They had some mistakes that killed drives, but never really tried to attack either.

All in all nothing really to worry about.

WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO **** THAT FELT GOOD.

Awesome. Don't care what happens this year. What happens when JH has 4 and 5 * recruits.

Love it.

LOVE IT.

Let's play some connect the dots, because why not?!?

Utah is looking solid on the road against Oregon. UCLA (who barely beat BYU last week) is whooping on our friend Rich in Arizona.

Utah blowing out Oregon 41-13, on the road, in the 3rd quarter. Michigan will be a ranked team tomorrow.

yeah plus if it turns out Oregon sucks, there's a bit of a ding in MSU's aura. CMU gave them all they could handle for 3 quarters, but the game is four. They finished well enough that today won't hurt them I think.

Edited by Gehringer_2

What Utah is doing tonight to Oregon is remarkable. It's a full beatdown. They are going to put up 60+ tonight easily.

Honestly, can you make a better case for any team in the country right now? Maybe Ole Miss after beating Alabama last week.

Edited by hail2mich

What Utah is doing tonight to Oregon is remarkable. It's a full beatdown. They are going to put up 60+ tonight easily.

Honestly, can you make a better case for any team in the country right now? Maybe Ole Miss after beating Alabama last week.

62 with 10 min left! Utah special teams have been a clinic. "fake" fair catch produces TD runback. Next punt downed at the 2 leads to turnover and a 1st and goal from the 6 --> easy touchdown.

But what a collapse by the Ducks as well. Goes to show that putting up 60 against cupcakes really don't mean a thing.

WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO **** THAT FELT GOOD.

Awesome. Don't care what happens this year. What happens when JH has 4 and 5 * recruits.

Love it.

LOVE IT.

The Wolverines depth chart (2 deep) is more than half full of 4-5*. It won't be long.

Michigan moves up to #22 in the AP Poll. Utah up to #10.

Nice. The BYU coach said Michigan is the best team they have faced this year. I am still not confident in their offense but their defense appears to be legit.

Michigan moves up to #22 in the AP Poll. Utah up to #10.

And Oregon drops out. But that's just more disrespect of MSU D'Antonio to grouse about..:wink:

Yeah, since Oregon, they have looked a little flat footed. Still, comparing both teams right now, I think they are easily 10+ point favorites when they play Michigan. We'll see. That NW team looks pretty good so far, and I'll be interested in seeing how Michigan does against them in a few weeks. That should be a pretty good measuring stick in determining Michigan's chances of victory against MSU this year.

ESPN;s FPI has UM favored in every game now until OSU.

MSU is very beatable. Especially at home, and especially with UM's defense.