Mr.TaterSalad

The Front Office Thread

Can't I dream that we have some outside help come in and preform an independent, exhaustive search for a new GM and Team President? Must you should down my hopes and dreams so quickly?

You are a lions fan. These are rhetorical questions.

The coaching staff has shown no ability to adapt and make changes in or out of the game. Caldwell is insisting on living and dying by his OC Joe Lombardi and it has to stop. When you factor in that Martin Mayhew is responsible for hiring these guys (or at least Caldwell), you have to get rid of the three of them.

I wish 90 year old Mrs. Ford would be able to see and/or comprehend this.

I wish 90 year old Mrs. Ford would be able to see and/or comprehend this.

Estelle Getty Ford isn't awake enough hours of the day to read three or four sentences in a row. Once she gets her Ovaltine, she's right back to her nap.

Ford always viewed the Lions as a balance sheet. Russ Thomas was GM for 22 years and had six winning seasons. Six. That was perfectly fine with WCF because he made money. Chuck Schmidt, the bean counter, had a legend in Barry Sanders to build a winner around, yet completely wastes his career and drives him into early retirement. And Ford only let Millen burn the entire franchise to the ground before deciding to make a change – and it wasn’t due to a profound flowering of wisdom on his part, but fan pressure applied from the outside.

No reason to believe the old lady is any different. The Fords are a disease. Junior Millen isn’t going anywhere

Ford always viewed the Lions as a balance sheet. Russ Thomas was GM for 22 years and had six winning seasons. Six. That was perfectly fine with WCF because he made money. Chuck Schmidt, the bean counter, had a legend in Barry Sanders to build a winner around, yet completely wastes his career and drives him into early retirement. And Ford only let Millen burn the entire franchise to the ground before deciding to make a change – and it wasn’t due to a profound flowering of wisdom on his part, but fan pressure applied from the outside.

No reason to believe the old lady is any different. The Fords are a disease. Junior Millen isn’t going anywhere

Completely false.

The Fords continually spent big money on the Lions front office and players. The problem wasn't that Ford was cheap, it's that he didn't know what he was doing and was loyal to a fault (because he didn't know anything about how to run a successful business).

Ford was a lot of things, cheap wasn't one of them.

They've got to clean house now! As MCS said in the game day thread, give the reigns to Brian Xanders and Teryl Austin respectively.The search for new leadership needs to start now!!!

What's the point of firing everyone now? The season is over. Why take the supposed best coordinator you have (Austin) and take him away from doing what he does best? Why promote a guy in an unsuccessful front office to the role of head man in charge?

And if you are really a Lions fan, you know if your heart that this isn't going to happen. If Caldwell is fired, I would be stunned. Happy, but stunned.

Any real Lions fan knows that it is 50/50 whether Caldwell and Mayhew get contract extensions...

Completely false.

The Fords continually spent big money on the Lions front office and players. The problem wasn't that Ford was cheap, it's that he didn't know what he was doing and was loyal to a fault (because he didn't know anything about how to run a successful business).

Ford was a lot of things, cheap wasn't one of them.

Agreed.

Why promote a guy in an unsuccessful front office to the role of head man in charge?

you know if your heart that this isn't going to happen. .

No guy in the Lions unsuccesful front office has ever been promoted...

martin-mayhew.jpg

I love the story millen tells of when he was fired by ford millen basically told him that mayhew should be the next gm. Basically strong armed him into it.

I hope its true, because it explains so much about ford and this franchise. They finally fire the most incompetent gm in the history of the league and what do they do? THEY TAKE THE GUYS ADVICE ON WHO TO REPLACE HIM!

Only the lions. Only the fords.

I love the story millen tells of when he was fired by ford millen basically told him that mayhew should be the next gm. Basically strong armed him into it.

I hope its true, because it explains so much about ford and this franchise. They finally fire the most incompetent gm in the history of the league and what do they do? THEY TAKE THE GUYS ADVICE ON WHO TO REPLACE HIM!

Only the lions. Only the fords.

Who was the guy who used to be the Tennessee GM that lobbied for the job in Detroit? I kinda wanted him, but yeah, promoting from within, especially if it was Millen's advice... that's so Lionesque that it just had to have happened.

So, this proves my point. Correct? He was a primarily blocking TE in 2014 "de facto extra tackle" playing as a TE and then once Ebron, Pettigrew, and Fauria stepped up he was moved over to OT (not TE) on the line. I was arguing all along that we should have kept him as insurance as a TE or possibly even an OT.

Seems more like he was always on the way to being an OT. I wouldn't mind having him in the role you speak of, like I mentioned, but he certainly wasn't moved because of Ebron.

I would be all in for firing Mayhew, but I can't come up with a slam dunk candidate to replace him right now. Same goes with the coach, although I like Gase who is OC with the Bears right now.

Give me someone named Shanahan as coach.

Not sure who as GM. Give Pioli his second shot? Just hire someone from a strong front office one way or the other, whether Seattle,GB,NE,Pitt or Balt

Give me someone named Shanahan as coach.

Not sure who as GM. Give Pioli his second shot? Just hire someone from a strong front office one way or the other, whether Seattle,GB,NE,Pitt or Balt

Shanahan was 20 years ago. Seattle, GB, NE and Balt are pretty much run by one person. Pitt is run by former Lions personnel.

Here were the articles I posted earlier in the thread about potential GM candidates . . .

A capsule look at Chicago Bears general manager candidates - NFL Nation - ESPN

NFL general manager candidates: new names and familiar faces - NFL.com

I know nothing about NFL Front Offices, but if I were to pickup the phone and call anyone Eric DeCosta, Assistant GM, Baltimore Ravens, would likely be my first choice. I'm sure the guy has a ready made job once Ozzie Newsome steps aside, but I'd at least reach out anyways.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Shanahan was 20 years ago. Seattle, GB, NE and Balt are pretty much run by one person. Pitt is run by former Lions personnel.

It would be funny if they brought ron hughes back.

Not surprised it's JBC. He went to the sideline and Stafford starting airing the ball out again.

The way they were going they weren't playing Stafford's strengths and the way that O-Line was mishandling things they were going to get him hurt - that's a lot of money to pay one guy to get beat up.

I think Caldwell and Mayhew could both get axed if they lose in London, I really do. I don't think Martha's very happy.

Can you just imagine a 90 year old woman watching that 3rd and 13 play and saying WHAT THE (BLEEP) ARE THEY DOING?