Mr.TaterSalad

The Front Office Thread

As of September, Forbes has has Lions valued at 1.44 Billion. That's up from 960 million in 2014. That ranks them 30th in the NFL, ahead of the Raiders and Bills. At this current value each of the four siblings is looking at 360 million or more, depending on how long OLF lives. It would cost any of the siblings a minimum of a billion to buyout the other three. I'm starting to think a sale could eventually be possible. I hope I live long enough to see it.

It bugs me when people use the term Ford family with regard to the Lions. It was WCF. No family. Now it's his wife. When I hear Ford family I think of the auto company.

yes I realize that the Lions only belong to WCF but issue they face wrt their B shares is the same as for the whole family so I made no distinction there.

Also gehringer...maybe you know this but class B shares can only be in the family. If someone wants to sell they must first be offered to another member. If no buyers they can then be converted to common. I am not sure that ever happened. Things got tight before Mulally. Emergency meetings. Distant cousins with different last names living in Colorado saw their trust funds drying up.

exactly. And that is the thing with the Lions. At least for the Firestone girls, that is some value that they would have a chance to convert to do with what they want. It's easy to see how that could have a huge pull for some one who has chafed under the family discipline wrt the B shares. It's a case were it really only takes one of them to upset the apple cart.

This is just the equivalent of Kremlin Wall watching, but it is interesting that after his father's death Jr stepped out of his roles with the Lions. To me the most likely possible explanations for that are either that he never wanted to be there in the first place - that FoMoCo is his first and only business interest, but he was doing out of obligation to requests by Sr. OR - a family decision has been made and Martha is playing out the string until the team is sold. I suppose there is a third possibility - that Martha wants to manage the Lions personally and didn't want WCF Jr's help. That would be seem odd but who knows? Like they say, the rich aren't like us.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I admit coming off last season, I was all in. I predicted 13-3, Division Champs, Super Bowl appearance. I have been a huge proponent of Jim Caldwell, mostly because I see him much in the same way as Tony Dungy. A couple of things have become abundantly clear.

1. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

2. The Lions need new ownership, new leadership, new players. Everything. Rip it all up.

Here is a list of potential GM candidates for the Lions per NFL.com and ESPN.com . . .

NFL general manager candidates: new names and familiar faces - NFL.com

A capsule look at Chicago Bears general manager candidates - NFL Nation - ESPN

First and foremost, I want an independent search panel setup to find both a new GM and Team President. I don't want Martha Ford or any other person directly tied to the organization in-charge of hiring the new management. They've proven too inept to do it and I hope they would have the sense to recognize their own failures (ha!). Maybe, for once, this team can manage to get out of its own way.

I want the organization and the search panel to ensure all candidates that they will have full authority over on-field, football operations. Those persons need to be given full authority to hire and fire anyone else they want within the front office and add/subtract any player or coach on the roster. Martha Ford cannot handcuff a new regime with loyalty to a particular scout, coach or player (including the QB). If the new GM wants to blow it all up completely they need not worry that management is going to step in and veto their decisions. That is the only way you will attract the best candidates for the job.

As for the lists posted above, there are a few names that in my ignorant mind, stick out as potentially credible, capable hires.

1. Tom Heckert, director of pro personnel, Denver Broncos

2. Scot McCloughan, football consultant (Used to work with John Schneider in Seattle and with Harbaugh in SanFran)

3. Eric DeCosta, assistant GM, Baltimore Ravens

4. Terry McDonough, vice president of player personnel, Arizona Cardinals

5. Nick Caserio, director of player personnel, New England Patriots

6. Matt Russell, director of player personnel, Denver Broncos

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I admit coming off last season, I was all in. I predicted 13-3, Division Champs, Super Bowl appearance. I have been a huge proponent of Jim Caldwell, mostly because I see him much in the same way as Tony Dungy. A couple of things have become abundantly clear.

2. The Lions need new ownership, new leadership, new players. Everything. Rip it all up.

I really don't think anyone could have predicted how terrible this team has performed this season. I am shocked. They have been pure garbage.

......2. Scot McCloughan, football consultant (Used to work with John Schneider in Seattle and with Harbaugh in SanFran)......

If he could bring Harbaugh with him, he gets the position.

It would be great if after this season, 90 year old Mrs. Ford fires the whole front office and becomes GM. She would make every decision for the Lions. She probably wouldn't do worse than Mayhew/Lewand as GM.

Edited by nd1377

It would be great if after this season, 90 year old Mrs. Ford fires the whole front office and becomes GM. She would make every decision for the Lions. She probably wouldn't do worse than Mayhew/Lewand as GM.

And then they could make a Bad News Bears/Mighty Ducks type movie out of it, where Mrs. Ford is played by Betty White! Love it.

And then they could make a Bad News Bears/Mighty Ducks type movie out of it, where Mrs. Ford is played by Betty White! Love it.

Given that the Lions franchise has been one big circus for a long time, nothing would shock me.

Just wait til you are 50% older.

They will beat your optimism down.

I find myself engaging in apathetic optimism.

I was right there with you. Looking back on it, we had no idea that the subtractions from the O-Line were going to be so dramatically bad. I mean, a predictable offense is one thing, a predictable offense that turns the ball over 33% of the time is quite another. But with our Offensive Coordinator being told, weeks ago, that other teams knew what plays we were running before we ran the play? And the Monday Night boys saying things like "The Lions are so predictable, I mean look at this formation, here comes a run play"? And still he's too stubborn to make the much needed changes? Or he's not capable, which is worse. Maybe his offense was dynamic in New Orleans but the opposing defenses caught up to it like they do on every offense. Just figure it out and how to defend it. Against the Lions, it's pretty simple. The Lions will try to throw 3 yards passes and go down the field. Just give them the underneath plays, they will eventually screw it up. And the Lions do, at an alarming rate. It's on Caldwell now, he sees the offense struggling and doesn't seem to do much about it. Beat the Bears this week, go ahead. And then tell us everything is better? Yeah, right. But wow, lose to the Bears and things may get really, really ugly. Maybe Golden Boy Tate will wish there were ANY fans there to boo.

Upon further review, I did some research and Golden Boy Tate seems to have gotten it. Here is the latest quote from him;

"I kind of went back and did some research," Tate said today. "Like you said, I've only been here for two years and there's been One Pride fans for 55 years, 60 yards (I think it was a typo, it means years), however many years. That was kind of when it was put into perspective, they've been waiting for a long time and I've been here for 1 ½ years."

Golden Tate backtracks on criticism of Detroit Lions fans

He got it! We've been waiting for generations for even a single championship type team. Super Bowl 50, coming up. It's not easy being this bad for 50 years, the Lions are the BEST in the league at being bad. Where is the credit for that? 50 straight years of emptiness and the fans still support us? We even have 2nd and 3rd generation suckers.....errrr....FANS that are sending us their hard earned money. And sell this cash cow? I don't think so.

No wonder we still have a team. Wouldn't it be much better if they packed up in the middle of the night and moved to L.A.? We could start over with a new franchise with an owner who may want to win, over anything else? Sort of like that owner the Wings and Tigers have? It's been at least 25 to 30 years I have heard people complaining about our owner. He even passed away and it's more of the same. Just a sad, laughingstock of a franchise. We can unload them on L.A. and sit back and laugh at THEM for awhile.

So, with Ebron hurt and now Pettigrew questionable (allegedly due to tripping over carpet at the hotel) I thought it would be an interesting time to bring up a player Mayhew just got rid of/miss-managed to showcase the difference between successful GMs/franchises and the Lions.

So we drafted Michael Williams (one of Norman's favorites) as a TE (he was a tackle in college) which was an interesting and inspired move. Obviously he was going to be a block-first TE with very little value in the passing game. We develop him, but then decide to resign Pettigrew as our Y-TE and draft Ebron as our F-TE leaving no real spot on the roster for Williams who we decide to move back to tackle. Then, Mayhew and company realize that since we have three starting caliber tackles on the roster (Reiff, Waddle, and Lucas) we could afford to ship Michael Williams away for what will certainly be a very low seventh round pick. Now, not only are the Lions desperate for a tackle who could step in and provide SOMETHING on the right side, but our TE situation is so bleak that we could realistically be stuck with Tim Wright as our only TE suiting up for the game.

Meanwhile, Williams has looked fantastic in a Patriots uniform (they moved him back to Y-TE) and he has a +3.5 PFF rating with a +3.3 rating in run blocking (which we could sorely use). One franchise "gets it" and is able to find an excellent F-TE in the draft (without using two first round picks) and then finds complimentary blocking TE on the cheap and one doesn't. The Lions are a disaster not (just) because of Lombardi, or Caldwell, or Stafford...it's been the gross mismanagement of the front office; this is just but one example.

I've always liked that the Patriots will go to that set with a 3rd OT as their TE. Williams is perfect for it. Now, Pettigrew and Ebron don't have anything to do with him(for example, the Patriots have Gronk and Chandler in front of Williams, as true TEs), but given our RT situation and our run game issues, a player like Williams could have had some potential use. Mayhew bet on Waddle and Lucas and they haven't performed so far, so he has to take the hit for that.

I've always liked that the Patriots will go to that set with a 3rd OT as their TE. Williams is perfect for it. Now, Pettigrew and Ebron don't have anything to do with him(for example, the Patriots have Gronk and Chandler in front of Williams, as true TEs), but given our RT situation and our run game issues, a player like Williams could have had some potential use. Mayhew bet on Waddle and Lucas and they haven't performed so far, so he has to take the hit for that.

Ebron and Pettigrew shouldn't have had anything to do with him, but the fact remains that it was right after we drafted Ebron he was forced to move (by management) back to OT.

this is really the crux of it. Making bad hires happens, but giving the incompetent extensions to extend the failure is the aspect of the Ford ownership that has been so fatal. WCF was psychologically incapable of holding his management team accountable for failure. An armchair psychologist could probably guess why this was the case but I'll just leave it there.

Who knows, maybe Mrs Ford will turn out to hold a shorter leash than her hubby.

You don't understand the NFL....Mayhew is brilliant....he's hired two coaches that have taken them to the playoffs twice....how many other GMs can say that?.....he's clearly one of the best GMs in the game today.

Please, let's leave the football analysis to the experts.....StorminNorman, Nastradamus and T/P Fan....they alone understand the quality of the Lions FO and organization.

Ebron and Pettigrew shouldn't have had anything to do with him, but the fact remains that it was right after we drafted Ebron he was forced to move (by management) back to OT.

"Detroit Lions Draft noted he was a "de facto extra tackle" last summer."

Can Detroit Lions TE Michael Williams Successfully Switch to OT? | Bleacher Report

They've got to clean house now! As MCS said in the game day thread, give the reigns to Brian Xanders and Teryl Austin respectively.The search for new leadership needs to start now!!!

"Detroit Lions Draft noted he was a "de facto extra tackle" last summer."

Can Detroit Lions TE Michael Williams Successfully Switch to OT? | Bleacher Report

So, this proves my point. Correct? He was a primarily blocking TE in 2014 "de facto extra tackle" playing as a TE and then once Ebron, Pettigrew, and Fauria stepped up he was moved over to OT (not TE) on the line. I was arguing all along that we should have kept him as insurance as a TE or possibly even an OT.

They've got to clean house now! As MCS said in the game day thread, give the reigns to Brian Xanders and Teryl Austin respectively.The search for new leadership needs to start now!!!

I agree with you here.

I agree with you here.

The coaching staff has shown no ability to adapt and make changes in or out of the game. Caldwell is insisting on living and dying by his OC Joe Lombardi and it has to stop. When you factor in that Martin Mayhew is responsible for hiring these guys (or at least Caldwell), you have to get rid of the three of them.

IF Martha is going to fire mayhew, we all know xanders will be given the job. Might as well get it over with now, so he can make preparations for the draft.

IF Martha is going to fire mayhew, we all know xanders will be given the job. Might as well get it over with now, so he can make preparations for the draft.

Can't I dream that we have some outside help come in and preform an independent, exhaustive search for a new GM and Team President? Must you should down my hopes and dreams so quickly?