Mr.TaterSalad

The Front Office Thread

To answer the questions:

0. SELL TEAM

1. Dump Mathew and Lewand

2. Do this right after the loss on thanksgiving.

3. I would be disappointed if Xanders got the job. Go outside of the organization for the new leadership.

FIFY

I've always been under the belief that Mayhew's (and team ownerships) strategy was to try and recreate exactly what the St. Louis Rams had in the late 1990's and early 2000'. I think he (and team ownership) always wanted to have a turf-based football team that beat its opponents by putting up offensive numbers that almost nobody could match. A Rams type team, i.e. one with a flashy, air-attack offense, would also please management by putting butts back into seats, ratings on the TV screens and jerseys on the backs of fans. That's why he picked so many high-end offenseive players in Stafford, Pettigrew, Williams (Derek), Best, Leshoure, Young, Broyles, Ebron, Abdullah.

Up until last offseason, I believed the way forward for the Lions to be successful, was to build a world beating defense ala the 2000's Ravens. Last year they came somewhat close to achieving that goal and then had their Ray Lewis (Suh) walk out on them. Last off-season and this though, I gave up on that idea, as I realized that Mayhew wasn't going anywhere as a GM and the general drafting strategy wasn't going to change; though I became a little hopeful that with Brian Xanders in town it would start to change. I gave into Mayhew's philosophy of flash on offense with tons of yards and touchdowns. I gave into the idea that good or bad, right or wrong, this was Stafford's team and not Suh's or not a balanced attack. This team was built for Stafford and the offense to lead the charge and win games. It's the reason I through my hands up and said go get Stafford as many wapons as the cap would allow. Watkins, Evans, Lee or Beckham were the guys I incorrectly wanted the Lions to target when I should have been pleading for Aaron Donald in 2014.

Now, I'm just done. No, not done with the Lions as a franchise but done buying into anything Mayhew has to sell. I don't think he deserves a chance to build the roster all over again and continue to lead this team. I don't think that being the "Greatest Show On Turf 2.0" is a winning model for putting together a team. I want new leadership. I want a front office philopshy that tries to move forward by finding a better QB that Stafford. I want one that buildswith a more balanced approach. As I said earlier, I'm giving him the rest of the season and then I want he and his cohort Tom Lewand out of the organization.

The greatest show on turf had kurt warner and we dont.

G_2. Re. 0. Sell the team. That goes without saying.

We all know that's not gonna happen.....unless there is a battle between Jr. And his sisters when they inherit the team after Old Lady Ford passes on

G_2. Re. 0. Sell the team. That goes without saying.

We all know that's not gonna happen.....unless there is a battle between Jr. And his sisters when they inherit the team after Old Lady Ford passes on

Interesting question. WCF loved owning the Lions, but he was not a competent owner and his inability to judge people/talent/management doomed the team for 50 years. I haven't seen nor heard anything that would make me think one of the daughters has any passion to take the team over and we know running the Lions is not a life ambition of WCF Jr, so maybe there will be a sale when when Mrs Ford passes. Till then, the team will remain a mess unless they luck into hiring a new, competent GM.

I, maybe mistakenly, have always assumed Jr. has been biding his time and would love to have final control. When he brought in Mullaly to run FMC, it gave me hope he could do the same with Lions

I'm under the impression current ownership is not involved with the Lions, and in effect the inmates of the front office are running the asylum.

Is there a franchise other than the Detroit Lions whose front office has such safe and secure jobs with little pressure to put a competitive product on the field?

No point in firing the front office now...no point in not putting out feelers for the day you do fire them, which I assume will be the day after the season ends

The greatest show on turf had kurt warner and we dont.

I get that, but Martin Mayhew doesn't. I've long contended that Mayhew either wanted (or had an edict from ownership to) build an electric offense. He (and/or ownership) wanted to win with, put butts back into the seats with and move merchandise with a high powered, high scoring offense. The philosophy was flawed from the get go because, as you said Stafford isn't Warner. Mayhew can't or hasn't been willing to change course from this idea.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I get that, but Martin Mayhew doesn't. I've long contended that Mayhew either wanted (or had an edict from ownership to) build an electric offense. He (and/or ownership) wanted to win with, put butts back into the seats with and move merchandise with a high powered, high scoring offense. The philosophy was flawed from the get go because, as you said Stafford isn't Warner. Mayhew can't or hasn't been willing to change course from this idea.

I dont mind the philosophy of having an electric offense. Mayhew has done a very poor job of creating said electric offense.

Weird commentary since our D looked strong last night and obviously last year. That said, Mayhew has made enough mis-steps in the last year plus to deserve all scrutiny he gets.

I can't fathom why the Fords would think, "hmmm, let's keep Matt Millen's right hand man."

Clean them all out.

I'm still trying to figure out where to lay blame at this point. There's certainly enough to go around. Two things keep sticking in my head since Monday: Tate saying that he wished they could play with 4th-quarter Stafford all game long, and the sideline reporter saying that in her conversation with Caldwell at halftime he said they needed to stick with the run. These are both playcalling issues that are destroying the offense (that and a lack of blocking, although the pass blocking is improving.) I am done with Caldwell after that statement. I would like to see the Lions fire Caldwell and Lombardi yesterday and appoint Austin the interim head coach for the remainder of the season -- after all, the defense is improving and played well throughout the game on Monday despite losing starters. Then we can axe the front office in the offseason if Austin can't make a difference and start over. I still think there's talent on this team, but the team is playing to its weaknesses and avoiding its strengths. That's unacceptably stupid.

The question now is who is calling the shots? Is Lady Ford the one handing out the pink slips? I am finally fully on board, every one most go. The whole front office needs to be changed over. I am not sure anyone in the Ford Family feels the same way or not.

The whole product stinks.

As I said in today's gameday thread, I have changed my tune. The embarrassingly bad football team lays on the shoulders of Tom Lewand Jr. and Martin Mayhew. Forget Caldwell, forget Lombardi and forget Stafford for a minute and take care of the root of the problem first. Tom Lewand Jr. and Martin Mayhew should be dismissed tomorrow and the search for a new Team President and GM should start Tuesday morning.

As I said in today's gameday thread, I have changed my tune. The embarrassingly bad football team lays on the shoulders of Tom Lewand Jr. and Martin Mayhew. Forget Caldwell, forget Lombardi and forget Stafford for a minute and take care of the root of the problem first. Tom Lewand Jr. and Martin Mayhew should be dismissed tomorrow and the search for a new Team President and GM should start Tuesday morning.

I honestly don't care what the order is. They all need to go.

I would not mind seeing Teryl Austin as interim HC this season; God knows we are going to lose him as DC this offseason, one way or another.

Edit: I'm hoping like a kid on Christmas Eve to wake up and see the headline, "The Detroit Lions have called a press conference for 1pm today". I know it won't happen, but a fellow can hope.

Edited by Jason_R

Article from Yahoo on winners and losers:

NFL Winners and Losers

......LOSERS

The winless Detroit Lions and Jim Caldwell: One of the reasons Caldwell got the job as Lions head coach was that he was the one who would "fix" Matthew Stafford. Well, no. Stafford is playing the worst football of his career.

Caldwell told Stafford at halftime against the Arizona Cardinals that he was benching him if he threw another interception. Stafford threw another interception in the third quarter and Dan Orlovsky came on. Caldwell said after the game that Stafford is still his starter because duh, but it's not like there's some light at the end of this tunnel.

Stafford has six touchdowns and eight interceptions this season. The guy with maybe the NFL's strongest arm rarely completes anything downfield anymore. The terrible offensive line factors into that, but Stafford isn't providing much value to the offense. He's not good at being a safe quarterback and is not making any plays anymore either. The coach who was supposed to fix Stafford hasn't done it.

And now what of Caldwell? His flat-line sideline demeanor has always been held against him in public opinion, but the Lions seemed to take on that persona in a listless blowout loss. They're 0-5, the only winless team in the NFL. Will it get worse from here? Stafford is getting paid too much for the Lions to move on from him. Will they just find someone else who can "fix" Stafford if Caldwell can't get his team to play better the rest of the way? It might depend how bad it gets. And judging by Sunday, it might get really bad.....

Another article:

Caldwell calls the Lions play trash

.....First there was the coach, Jim Caldwell, who broke from his typical mild-mannered disposition to really light into the team after its 42-17 drubbing against Arizona (4-1).

"This is trash," Caldwell told the team, according to safety James Ihedigbo. "This is unacceptable."....

What about the coaching staff? They have been pure garbage.

Edited by nd1377

Caldwell will go down with the ship if he does not get rid of Lombardi and quick.

I hope so because I think he is the type of coach that is loyal to his assistants and will stick with them until the end. Even a 90 year old Ford woman should be able to see how terrible every part of the Lions organization is right now.

Can someone please clear this up for me? This has been discussed before but it seems as if there are not really any clear answers. William Clay Ford was the owner of the Lions and passed away. His wife, Martha, is 90 and is supposedly in charge of the Lions. They have 4 children, 3 daughters and 1 son. Their son is William Clay Ford Jr. Does anyone know if he does anything with the Lions at all? Does any of the 3 daughters have anything to do with the Lions at all? Do any grandkids have anything to do with the Lions? What is going to happen when 90 year old Martha passes away? Who gets the Lions? Does 25% of Martha's majority share go to each child of William and Martha?

I can't fathom why the Fords would think, "hmmm, let's keep Matt Millen's right hand man."

Clean them all out.

this is really the crux of it. Making bad hires happens, but giving the incompetent extensions to extend the failure is the aspect of the Ford ownership that has been so fatal. WCF was psychologically incapable of holding his management team accountable for failure. An armchair psychologist could probably guess why this was the case but I'll just leave it there.

Who knows, maybe Mrs Ford will turn out to hold a shorter leash than her hubby.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I hope so because I think he is the type of coach that is loyal to his assistants and will stick with them until the end. Even a 90 year old Ford woman should be able to see how terrible every part of the Lions organization is right now.

Can someone please clear this up for me? This has been discussed before but it seems as if there are not really any clear answers. William Clay Ford was the owner of the Lions and passed away. His wife, Martha, is 90 and is supposedly in charge of the Lions. They have 4 children, 3 daughters and 1 son. Their son is William Clay Ford Jr. Does anyone know if he does anything with the Lions at all? Does any of the 3 daughters have anything to do with the Lions at all? Do any grandkids have anything to do with the Lions? What is going to happen when 90 year old Martha passes away? Who gets the Lions? Does 25% of Martha's majority share go to each child of William and Martha?

Bill Ford Jr. was interviewed last week & said that Martha is in charge of the team. He stated that he has little to do with the team business.

Bill Ford Jr says Martha is running the Lions now

Bill Ford Jr. was interviewed last week & said that Martha is in charge of the team. He stated that he has little to do with the team business.

Bill Ford Jr says Martha is running the Lions now

I see two possibilities with WCF Jr. The first is that he really, really is not interested in the Lions and had only taken a role in the franchise in his father's later years as a favor to his father, OR, he is interested, but the sisters have made it plain they want their money out of the team when Mom dies, so he sees no point in staying involved as there is no future for him there with the team going to auction on Martha's passing. Either way, he is out.

I see two possibilities with WCF Jr. The first is that he really, really is not interested in the Lions and had only taken a role in the franchise in his father's later years as a favor to his father, OR, he is interested, but the sisters have made it plain they want their money out of the team when Mom dies, so he sees no point in staying involved as there is no future for him there with the team going to auction on Martha's passing. Either way, he is out.

Another 2 part possibility involves the FoMoCo.

1) He knows his family's bread is buttered there so is paying attention to the Corp and really doesn't have time for the Lions.

2) He needs to be seen as being seriously involved through these contract negotiations and can't afford to have the UAW throwing "dilly dallying with the Lions" accusations at him.

I imagine we'll know soon enough what his true position/passion is.

Another 2 part possibility involves the FoMoCo.

1) He knows his family's bread is buttered there so is paying attention to the Corp and really doesn't have time for the Lions.

2) He needs to be seen as being seriously involved through these contract negotiations and can't afford to have the UAW throwing "dilly dallying with the Lions" accusations at him.

I imagine we'll know soon enough what his true position/passion is.

It is complex with the Ford family. WCF Jr has taken on the mission of trying to keep the family cats herded, that is, keep all the Class B shares in the family so that the family can keep control of the company. He has already acquired more Class B himself recently, probably buying out family members looking for more cash. In view of that, I tend to lean toward the explanation that since the family in general tries to pressure its various members not to sell any class B shares, and there are always restless folks who want to cash out, it doesn't seem unlikely at all to me that at least one or more of the sisters would just as soon sell the Lions as have one more asset they 'own' but can't use/control. And it probably only takes one that wants to sell to force the sale, unless WCF Jr wants to pony up $250million of his own to buy one of them out - and double that amount if it's more than one.

Edited by Gehringer_2

It bugs me when people use the term Ford family with regard to the Lions. It was WCF. No family. Now it's his wife. When I hear Ford family I think of the auto company.

Also gehringer...maybe you know this but class B shares can only be in the family. If someone wants to sell they must first be offered to another member. If no buyers they can then be converted to common. I am not sure that ever happened. Things got tight before Mulally. Emergency meetings. Distant cousins with different last names living in Colorado saw their trust funds drying up.