Mr.TaterSalad

The Front Office Thread

I disagree. The Fords have never threatened to leave Michigan. I would prefer it stay in the family, and have long term stability.

If there was some Michigan born man or woman that bought the Lions, do you really think he would want to move the Lions?

If some rich dude from another country came in and bought the Lions, it could be a whole other story about the Lions moving.

If Sheldon White is just handed the job I think I'm done..

This is not out of the question, but I agree that there is simply no earthly reason for them to hire White as their permanent GM, and overwhelmingly good reasons to hire someone without any current/past association with this organization.

Above poster is correct as some people claim the Lions have NOT hired a search firm.

Lions GM

......The Lions have not commented on their search since team owner Martha Firestone Ford said a national search began last week. Two people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press the Lions have not hired a firm to assist them with their search for new executives, contrary to published reports. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the topic.

Detroit seems likely to look outside the organization for a GM because the last time an assistant was promoted it didn't go very well.....

If Sheldon White is just handed the job I think I'm done..

That will do it for me too. If they pull a Mayhew 2.0, I may be out. They are lucky both Mayhew (and if they decide to promote him) White are black, otherwise they'd be in violation of the Rooney Rule.

Above poster is correct as some people claim the Lions have NOT hired a search firm.

Lions GM

This is pretty ridiculous to have yes/no speculation out there on an important decision...Martha and her peeps need to set this story straight ASAP.

This is pretty ridiculous to have yes/no speculation out there on an important decision...Martha and her peeps need to set this story straight ASAP.

In the first story, Josh Katzenstein cited Gil Brandt, who was with the Cowboys front office until 1988. Yes, he retired from the NFL almost 30 years ago. Brandt now gets trotted out on NFL Radio to tell stories (which always last well into the commercial break) about draft prospects from the 1960s and 1970s.

In retrospect, I'm not sure Gil Brandt has any deep knowledge of the situation, though I initially took the story at face value.

Katzenstein's story:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/11/10/brandt-lions-hire-firm-help-find-new-leadership/75557622/

...Martha and her peeps need to set this story straight ASAP.

I agree. Why can't they say they hired a search firm? I don't think it would hurt anyone. Do they want to give White hope that he is the next GM of the Lions?

There have been a lot of terrible moves in the history of the Lions, but promoting White to full time GM would rank up there with all the other stupid moves.

I agree. Why can't they say they hired a search firm? I don't think it would hurt anyone. Do they want to give White hope that he is the next GM of the Lions?

There have been a lot of terrible moves in the history of the Lions, but promoting White to full time GM would rank up there with all the other stupid moves.

Yep

I've gotta think that fans would revolt if White was just up and promoted to GM, with or without a search having been conducted. If he was promoted and it became public knowledge that the organization lied to us and never bothered conducting a search, the situation could get real, real ugly for the franchise and would be a PR disaster of titanic proportions.

I like to think they can't screw it up that bad.

So what youre saying is you havent been paying attention to the lions for the last 50 years?

If they wanted to make White the GM, they should have simply done so. The idea that the Lions winning some games (or not) at the end of the season would tell us anything about his abilities is ridiculous.

Sounds like they're just looking for an explanation for when they give him the job to me

I've gotta think that fans would revolt if White was just up and promoted to GM, with or without a search having been conducted. If he was promoted and it became public knowledge that the organization lied to us and never bothered conducting a search, the situation could get real, real ugly for the franchise and would be a PR disaster of titanic proportions.

I really don't think they would. All during the last 15 years the fans have continued to support this franchise. If the first ever 0-16 season doesn't drive the fans away in droves I can't see anything doing so.

There have been protests and crying on talk radio and the Internet, but 65k still show up on Sunday.

A financial analyst laid out how it would be foolish to sell the team before Martha passes. Basically the capital gains tax is the culprit. If she sells then she pays the gains tax. Some billion dollars would be subjected to it. Then she she passes those proceeds if passed to heirs get taxed again thru inheritance taxes. If she keeps it and passes it on to her kids at death they only pay the estate tax. Could be a $300 million difference.

A financial analyst laid out how it would be foolish to sell the team before Martha passes. Basically the capital gains tax is the culprit. If she sells then she pays the gains tax. Some billion dollars would be subjected to it. Then she she passes those proceeds if passed to heirs get taxed again thru inheritance taxes. If she keeps it and passes it on to her kids at death they only pay the estate tax. Could be a $300 million difference.

Doesn't it depend on whether she and Sr owned the team jointly or Sr did singly? If she has already *inherited* a team that was wholly owned by Sr, then isn't the Cap Gains basis already reset? I've never been completely clear how the law applied to surviving spouses if property is not in joint tenancy...

Doesn't it depend on whether she and Sr owned the team jointly or Sr did singly? If she has already *inherited* a team that was wholly owned by Sr, then isn't the Cap Gains basis already reset? I've never been completely clear how the law applied to surviving spouses if property is not in joint tenancy...

I believe among spouses it's not applicable. This analyst was legit.

If they wanted to make White the GM, they should have simply done so. The idea that the Lions winning some games (or not) at the end of the season would tell us anything about his abilities is ridiculous.

Sounds like they're just looking for an explanation for when they give the job to me

This I could get behind

If they are married at the time of his death and presuming there is no specific language in his will giving the team to someone else, doesn't it just pass to her automatically without paying estate taxes?

If they are married at the time of his death and presuming there is no specific language in his will giving the team to someone else, doesn't it just pass to her automatically without paying estate taxes?

Biggs - My question more specifically was not whether she pays estate tax now but what capital gains basis she gets. I know for certain that other than spouses, cap gains basis resets with inherited capital goods and that at least in some cases also for spouses, but I don't make any claim to sufficient knowledge of the tax code to know for sure whether in this particular case Martha got the team with her inherited value at 1.5 billion or just a few million. Obs is pretty firm it's the former and I have no reason to dispute that.

The reason I asked is because if Martha inherited the team and was still liable for all the cap gains, then she would be a fool to sell, she'd be taking tens of millions out her children's inheritance paying a cap gain they would not be liable for. If the cap gains basis reset when she inherited, it makes no difference to the value of her estate to her children if she were to decide to sell it and pass on the cash. Though TBH, she sure doesn't show any sign of being interesting in selling so moot point probably.

Edited by Gehringer_2