hail2mich

GDT: UNLV at Michigan 9/19/2015

Even a few times where they followed the ball they zoomed in way too far. Could see the field.

Rudock misses a wide open 4 yard swing pass and Michigan punts. I don't believe he is the best QB on the roster. Doesn't seem possible.

If Rudock is clearly the #1, I'm really worried about BYU and the B1G schedule. The defense can only do so much, and I'm still not sold on Michigan's running game yet.

I know we're up 21-0, but the offense doesn't feel that great to me today. (I know doom and gloom)

Rudock is not adding anything today, but this still no comparison to a Hoke team.

just the fact that the special teams have been great makes it clear Brady has left the building.

They're facing a glorified HS team and can't move the ball consistently on offense. Obviously the rest of the team is improved, so I should have specified the offense part.

But then, maybe they just need more talent to handle these 230 LB d-linemen they're faced with today.

And Rudock misses another wide open deep ball

Totally forgettable 2nd half for the O, but the D is not letting them back in the game. In fact after the lopsided time of possession last week, having the D on the field a little more isn't the worst thing.

Wait for the announcement after the game or on Monday that Rudock had some kind of practice injury this week.

In any case, three to four more losses in their future unless the passing game improves one way or another. Obviously a better D playing up as tight as UNLV and they wouldn't have have been able to run either. For instance the Isaac run got a big boost from the far side safety being hopelessly behind the play.

But it's not like anyone should have been expecting 10-2

Edited by Gehringer_2

Pretty crazy that Michigan couldn't continue to roll in the second half, but to be sure they prolly tack on a TD if they keep the first team in instead of handing the keys to Speight and the second-teamers halfway through the fourth. Speight has a big arm but was definitely looking for the deep ball. Refs missed a PI on that drive, as Canteen's defender had a fistful of jersey for a good 10 yards before the ball arrived.

To be sure, we won't see Morris unless Rudock gets hurt and that's fine. Rudock did a good job of getting outside of the pocket when he felt pressure, but unfortunately he continues to have problems throwing an accurate ball on the run. He needs to tuck it and go a little more and he showed us some of that today.

The defense showed really good intensity all through the first half, especially the DL. Clark's INT in the 3rd quarter was so good of an adjustment it makes me think it is a shame he's not playing WR for us at 6'4+.

Harbaugh showed a little more of the offense today but by no means did he empty out the playbook. I doubt we'll see the power sweep used as liberally again with the exception of when we're curb-stomping Maryland or something. Expect to see a lot more Play action/TE usage next week, as BYU will likely be hyper-aggressive with their front 7 and SS.

Isaac's big run was great to see, but I definitely wonder about how significant it truly was. As tall, big and fast as he is he definitely give me Justin Fargas flashbacks even if he isn't quite the strider Huggy Jr was during his all-too-brief AA stay.

Drake Johnson looked like his old self, showing good burst and vision. Had Isaac not broken that monster run he probably gets another series of carries. To be sure, Smith's carries are going to drop and deservedly so . . . although I expect him to remain the starter as long as he's healthy.

Derek Green showed burst and power during garbage time, but then again he was also the highest recruited offensive player on either team. Hard to say where he fits in if Smith stays healthy.

The WRs looked OK enough, with Chesson's reverse going for a TD being a pleasant surprise. Who knew?

Offensively, it is hard to take much away from this game with the exception that Isaac probably earned more carries going into next week and Houma looked like he could handle being the starting FB given the chance.

Rudock didn't do anything to lose the game, nor did he do anything to augment the size of the win. For those of you who can't accept this as good enough this year, you'll continue to call for his replacement. For those of you who still think Morris is who Scout.com tried to tell you he was, you may even be a little heartbroken. Word is that he'll take his RS this year and maybe even graduate early--not sure if the latter is true but the former almost certainly is. For Malzone fans, expect him to transfer. Are there any Speight fans? O'Korn fans will get two years of him unless Brandon Peters really is the next Andrew Luck. Likely, Gentry will redshirt this year and Peters will do the same in '16 and Michigan will be set at QB for several years. Think Driesbach, Griese, Brady, Henson.

Defensively, another nice performance against a team that needed to be pinned down. The takeaways are encouraging, the tackling needs to be even better against BYU, MSU and beyond. Our DBs are fast and they hit, our starting LBs look better than they are due to the effort of the DL. I expect to see more blitzing as we get into B1G play from both the LB and the DBs.

Obviously, you want to hang 50+ on a team this physically overmatched. Maybe a highlight is that Michigan left a few TDs on the field and still won in convincing fashion. The game was never in doubt. I'll take it.

Re: Rudock

One of what appeared to be the worst of his throws was the miss in the end zone early, but on the replay it looks like he had to throw it around a defender's arm at the last second. And I agree the missed PI cost the receiver the step that could have made that a completion. Still on other long throws Chuck Long was despairing that he needed to throw outside when he threw inside and vice versa.

With luck it was just an off day. He certainly didn't seem to have this kind of trouble putting the ball on the money on the short and intermediate routes in the first two games.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Very poor game all around. Hopefully just a one off.

Buddha, even the ST and secondary play? Thought both were strong again.

Re: Rudock

One of what appeared to be the worst of his throws was the miss in the end zone early, but on the replay it looks like he had to throw it around a defender's arm at the last second. And I agree the missed PI cost the receiver the step that could have made that a completion. Still on other long throws Chuck Long was despairing that he needed to throw outside when he threw inside and vice versa.

QUOTE]

Long seems to be critical of Michigan play anyways, but he was right about throwing over the wrong shoulder. DBs with more talent pick those. It was shocking to me that he and the play-by-play were so critical of the end zone pass that seemed to me exactly what you described it as. Had he tried to hit Butt in-stride that hits the UNLV man in the helmet. A critique of waiting too late to throw it, I'm on board with that.

Very poor game all around. Hopefully just a one off.

All around? Defense was great again, RBs looked good.

Chuck Long also said something about maybe Harbaugh is sticking with Rudock because Morris still has a redshirt to burn. Does that seem nuts to anybody else?

Chuck Long also said something about maybe Harbaugh is sticking with Rudock because Morris still has a redshirt to burn. Does that seem nuts to anybody else?

He's doing Morris a major solid by doing this so the kid can transfer out and play somewhere else. O'Korn and Peters are the future of the position for Harbaugh by ALL accounts.

All around? Defense was great again, RBs looked good.

RBs looked slow.

Defense was playing against a high school offensive team.

BYU is a real opponent. Hopefully they look better against them.

UNLV is a bad offense, but I think this D can play. RBs do look slow. Rudock sucks

Rudock isn't very good, and that should tell you how bad Morris must really be. At least Rudock buys JH a year and next year will be a great competition for the spot. I know the Peters kid has looked excellent so far this year and will be enrolling early as well.

I can already see JH's type of football showing and that is exciting to see. They actually play with physicality and don't just talk about it like Hoke did. I think with the defense they have, if Rudock can just improve week to week they will be in every game with a chance to win. This Saturday will be a huge measuring stick against BYU. Can't wait.

Rudock isn't very good, and that should tell you how bad Morris must really be. At least Rudock buys JH a year and next year will be a great competition for the spot. I know the Peters kid has looked excellent so far this year and will be enrolling early as well.

I can already see JH's type of football showing and that is exciting to see. They actually play with physicality and don't just talk about it like Hoke did. I think with the defense they have, if Rudock can just improve week to week they will be in every game with a chance to win. This Saturday will be a huge measuring stick against BYU. Can't wait.

I'm not sure starting Rudock says that much about Morris beyond his lack of experience. It's pretty tough to put a guy, with a couple of games of experience, in charge of an offense under its third offensive coordinator in as many years. Rudock, who has started 25 or so games, is having enough issues adjusting to a new offense and young receivers. He's been horrible but his history says he isn't this bad. I guess time will tell if it all starts clicking for him.