RedRamage

You're wrong coach: It is a sprint!

I know, probably not worth of it's own thread, but this is one that I hear all the time and it REALLY bugs me:

"It's a long season... it's a marathon, not a sprint."

Caldwell said it at one point yesterday. He's not alone of course... may coaches say it. But I think it's just so dead wrong in football. Look, I get that it's a long season what is all the practices and 17 weeks including the bye and all that... but there are only 16 games. That's not a marathon. 162 games? That's a marathon. 82 games? That's a pretty long race. 16 games? That's a sprint. 6.25% of the season is done in just three hours of game play. Losing the opening game is the numerical equivalent of opening the baseball season with 10 straight losses.

I get that one game does not a season make. I get that it's still possible for the Lions to have a really super good year starting out with a loss. But I hate this "meh... it's just one game... we'll get the next one." sort of mentality that comes off when a coach tries to play off a loss as just one little part of a long marathon.

16 games is a VERY short playing season. Sure, the time line is long, but the actual number of games is very very small. The NFL season is a sprint, not a marathon.

I know, probably not worth of it's own thread, but this is one that I hear all the time and it REALLY bugs me:

Caldwell said it at one point yesterday. He's not alone of course... may coaches say it. But I think it's just so dead wrong in football. Look, I get that it's a long season what is all the practices and 17 weeks including the bye and all that... but there are only 16 games. That's not a marathon. 162 games? That's a marathon. 82 games? That's a pretty long race. 16 games? That's a sprint. 6.25% of the season is done in just three hours of game play. Losing the opening game is the numerical equivalent of opening the baseball season with 10 straight losses.

I get that one game does not a season make. I get that it's still possible for the Lions to have a really super good year starting out with a loss. But I hate this "meh... it's just one game... we'll get the next one." sort of mentality that comes off when a coach tries to play off a loss as just one little part of a long marathon.

16 games is a VERY short playing season. Sure, the time line is long, but the actual number of games is very very small. The NFL season is a sprint, not a marathon.

I agree and I like the way you compare it to 10 baseball games.

It's one of the reasons I never liked winning an ugly game. Sure, it's a win but it masks the teams problem areas. This Lions team is going to need to earn everything they get, no lucky breaks for them. This schedule just seems so unfair. Last 3 out of 4 on the road after starting the season the same way, 3 out of 4 road games. Ugh...

It's one of the reasons I never liked winning an ugly game. Sure, it's a win but it masks the teams problem areas. This Lions team is going to need to earn everything they get, no lucky breaks for them. This schedule just seems so unfair. Last 3 out of 4 on the road after starting the season the same way, 3 out of 4 road games. Ugh...

That's funny, because it's precisely the reason I don't mind winning ugly games at all. Sure it doesn't mean the team doesn't have flaws, but when 1 game matters so much winning matters more.

The Lions are better than this. They don't have to earn everything. I think this will blow over later in the year. It wasn't even a conference game, and won't matter in the tie-breaker formulas. The Lions just need to get healthy, and play in better weather. I don't think weather will be as much of a problem from now on. That was a freak game. They missed Levy.

What a warped view. I know it's not intentional, but I firmly believe some people's minds invent reasons to be upset. Even when their favorite team wins. This is a classic example of this.

ALL football teams win ugly games. It's often what separates the playoffs from non-playoffs. You should be thrilled when your team wins one.

As a lions fan, you should be thrilled when they win ANY game.

Beggars cant be choosers.

I don't mind the use of the cliche.

I do mind comparing it to 10 straight losses in baseball. Sure, it's accurately from a percentage of the season aspect. But it doesn't have the same effect. You can very much go out and win the next week and even things up. If you lose 10 straight in baseball your season is probably over.

I think he should come out and say that. "Look boys...we just did the equivalent of losing 10 games in a row in baseball. Get your act together!"...he is just using coach speak...for MANY reasons. Keep the fans interested as long as possible and do not kill the teams spirit. i think the point is that one game does not make or break the season. It COULD, of course, come down to one game, but we have seen teams start 0-4 or 0-5 and end up making the playoffs.

I think he should come out and say that. "Look boys...we just did the equivalent of losing 10 games in a row in baseball. Get your act together!"...he is just using coach speak...for MANY reasons.

I understand that and I know it's used by lots and lots of people... but I just find the cliche annoying because I really don't think it applies in football given the very small number of games.

I do mind comparing it to 10 straight losses in baseball. Sure, it's accurately from a percentage of the season aspect. But it doesn't have the same effect. You can very much go out and win the next week and even things up. If you lose 10 straight in baseball your season is probably over.

Granted, it isn't an accurate comparison... but the point I guess I'm trying to make is when saying 1 NFL game = 10 MLB games is how much short the NFL season is in terms of number of games.

If the Tigers started out the year losing their first 10 games, no one would be throwing in the towel on the team... but they also won't just dismiss it and say. "Meh... it's a marathon. No big deal." And I don't think that Caldwell really thinks that... I'm sure he's upset and looking for the problems and ways to correct them.

I just it comes down to this: I just really don't like that cliche when applied to football.

That's fine. But I'm also not sure we need to compare it to other professional sports. I agree that baseball is more of a "marathon" than football. But I don't think it follows that football isn't also a "marathon."

16 games over four months is not a "sprint" in my opinion.

I think Caldwell is correct in applying the cliche because it is just one game. They are one game behind the league leaders. To continue the metaphor, the finish line is still very far away, and they are still in the pack of runners with 24.5 miles left to go.

I understand that and I know it's used by lots and lots of people... but I just find the cliche annoying because I really don't think it applies in football given the very small number of games.

I get it, but I think the marathon thing comes from the season...which includes practices etc. We only see one game a week, but they are studying, practicing, working out and playing games just about every day of the week. The whole thing takes over 4 months. 4 months is not a sprint. One game would be a sprint because you would have practices, working out, studying, game planning etc and then ONE game to determine the overall outcome. You do that 16 times with a week off mixed in and it seems more of a marathon to me.

A Lions season is like a biathlon: a lot of huffing and puffing while going around in circles, interrupted periodically by shooting at missed targets.

Didn't the Tigers start out 3-0 by NFL standards? Now see where they are. Both seasons are long.

Marathon or sprint, it was easy to see a scenario in which the Lions were 1-4 in the first five games, but also still had an outside shot at a wild card.

The Lions lost on the road to a good team. Minnesota is probably not as good as people have been saying, Denver's offense may not be nearly as good as it was last year, and Seattle may still be struggling to replace Kam Chancellor when we get a crack at them.

I cannot believe the offense will not improve this season as the OL has a chance to gel and the running game develop. On the defense, we better hope Levy gets healthy fast, Slay stays healthy, and Ansah continues to develop.

Valenti brought up a stat today that of 80 something teams to start 0-2 over the past decade, only 5 have went on to make the playoffs.

Kind of misleading. Most of the teams that start 0-2 are terrible.

How many playoff teams have a stretch where they lost two games in a row?

It doesn't really matter if the 0-2 happens at the start or the middle or the end of the season.

Kind of misleading. Most of the teams that start 0-2 are terrible.

How many playoff teams have a stretch where they lost two games in a row?

It doesn't really matter if the 0-2 happens at the start or the middle or the end of the season.

Other then green bay, everyone in the nfc playoffs lost 2 games in a row. Indy started 0-2nd, Baltimore lost 2 in a row, cincy lost, tied then lost again. Carolina lost 2 games, won a game tied a game then lost 6 straight. A 7-8-1 playoff team is not the norm tho.