Game One of Three (if necessary)

Whitecaps Starting Pitcher 642142.jpg Jeffrey Thompson

Lugnuts Starting Pitcher TBD

Cooley Law School Stadium and the Lansing Lugnuts

Welcome the Midwest League Eastern Division Championship

LL_PLAYOFFS_vs_WM_pn4w3n62_z1rlsinr.jpg

Game Two

The Lansing Lugnuts (1-0) will be led by Starlyn Suriel 622450.jpg

And the visiting Whitecaps (0-1)will have 592499.jpgArtie Lewiki on the mound.

Sunday, September 13, 7:05 PM

Wx: Sunday Night 09/13 0% / 0 in. Game time temp 61°.Mostly clear skies. Low 49F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Lansing, Mi hosts their Lugnuts with the challenging Whitecaps

Game Three with the teams tied at one game each

Monday, September 14th; 7:05 PM

On the mound for West Michigan: 543758.jpg Ross Seaton

And for Lansing: 621402.jpg Shane Dawson

Wx: Monday Night 09/14 0% / 0 in. Game time temp 70°.

Clear to partly cloudy. Low 58F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Seaton didn't make it out of the 4th, but his teammates have picked him up big time.

1 in the 3rd, 2 in the 4th, 3 in the 5th, 5 in the 7th (still batting) and it's 11-5.

Gerson Moreno with 2.1 IP of 1 run ball to help out.

Barring a rare bullpen collapse, looking good to make it to the championship series.

Whitecaps Take Division!!

West Michigan 14 @ Lansing 5 Final

W: Moreno, G (1-0, 2.45); L: Dawson (0-1, 9.00)

HR: WM: Kengor (1). LAN: Carlson (1)

West Michigan vs. Lansing - September 14, 2015 | MiLB.com Box | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

The Caps now advance to the best of 5 championship against Cedar Rapids, this Thursday @ 6:35 PM. The first two games will be at Fifth-Third Field.

Edited by hueytaxi

There's probably a bunch of guys (Gerber, Jimenez, Scivicque, Kivett, etc.) that will be given a chance in spring training to earn a spot in Erie, so I wouldn't plan on this roster showing up next year.

First game is actually Wed, 2nd game is Thurs.

Micro, I've noticed a lot of the Whitecaps relievers tend to go 2+ IP when they pitch. Is that a new philosophy or was I just not paying attention before? And do you think they'll keep doing that with guys as they move up the org ladder?

First game is actually Wed, 2nd game is Thurs.

Micro, I've noticed a lot of the Whitecaps relievers tend to go 2+ IP when they pitch. Is that a new philosophy or was I just not paying attention before? And do you think they'll keep doing that with guys as they move up the org ladder?

It's need this late in the season, and there's some developmental benefit. I wouldn't expect it to continue.

Does this mean the Flying Tigers will be good next year ?

Larry

I can't believe you asked that question Larry, lol, too funny my friend.

Mark, we are used to that. Kind of curious of the developmental benefits of having a productive 23 year old (Kivett and Gerber) spend the entire season in Low A. It has become increasingly clear it is more important to field a winning team in West Michigan than to properly promote deserving players. Can see a couple of the starters skipping us though. Word has spread through the stadium that playing in a lower division college field next year will affect players assignments.

Yeah Jim, there was a comical aspect to that. Congrats on getting rid of Amaro.

Larry

Unfortunately, I can see Graham skipping Lakeland too.

Larry, you hit it with you second point; the Tigers control LFT and attendance will likely be on the low end even if they're competitive. If they field a strong team in WMI, they keep the in-state affiliate happy with winning teams and big attendance numbers.

It's certainly not ideal from and LFT fan perspective, but its also not terribly destructive from a developmental perspective; meaning it is likely to continue.

2,800 last night for a championship game. Dismal for the 'Caps. I thought about Andrew skipping Lakeland as I wrote it.

2,800 last night for a championship game. Dismal for the 'Caps. I thought about Andrew skipping Lakeland as I wrote it.

That is actually pretty normal and possibly a decent figure for the office. A Wednesday evening when school is in session and no between-innings-shenanigans equals low attendance.

Mark, I agree that people would think that skipping a level shouldn't matter. Since I am a LFT season ticket holder I follow this closer than most. In 2009, the following players played at WM and skipped Lakeland : Alex Avila, Casper Wells and Jon Kibler. This decision comes down to if you think Alex Avila is an average major leaguer.

In 2010 Casey Crosby skipped Lakeland. We all know that he had command problems at WM and then had surgery. That decision didn't work out that well for him.

In 2011 Jamie Johnson skipped Lakeland. Not only did he play in Erie in 2011, he also player in Erie in 2012, 2013 and 2014 before retiring. Skipping Lakeland didn't work out to well for him.

The next couple years were non-eventful except for Andy Oliver who skipped both WM and Lakeland. His pitching career became a train wreck. During this time all prospects seem to go through Lakeland including Nick Castellanos, Avisail Garcia, Jacob Turner, among others. Lakeland even won a title.

In 2014 Buck Farmer and Joe Mantiply both started the season at WM and skipped Lakeland going to Erie. I have never seen Farmer pitch in person but his results don't match his stuff. I feel he has never learned how to pitch.

This year three players skipped Lakeland. Wynton Bernard, Chad Green and Aaron Kubitza all played in Erie. Bernard being the more experienced player did well but Kubitza and Green struggled. Interestingly, Kevin Ziomek, who was a higher draft pick in the same class as Green and Kubitza didn't skip Lakeland. He had a rough stretch in the middle of the season but ended the season almost untouchable. It will be interesting how these three pitchers careers play out.

Part of our complaint in Lakeland is that college players who are usually from better Division 1 schools succeed in WM but are not promoted to Lakeland at the all star break like most organizations do. Our better players at Lakeland are promoted around this time but replaced with lesser players who are usually part time players at WM or come over from Extended. In 2014, Crawford, Ziomek, Kubitza and Green were all high draft picks from high profile college program and were dominating the Midwest League. Most organization would have promoted some of them to a High A affiliate.

There is no way of knowing if any of the above mentioned players would have succeeded if they had not skipped Lakeland. Common sense would dictate that if the organization is skipping Lakeland that they are attempting to fast track a player to the majors.

Larry

That is actually pretty normal and possibly a decent figure for the office. A Wednesday evening when school is in session and no between-innings-shenanigans equals low attendance.

Yeah, it's pretty common--school is a huge obstacle.

But even when the Griffins were in the championship finals, attendance was way down over regular season games, simply because it's not on the schedule so you can't plan outings ahead of time, corporate or personal. You get a couple days of sales vs. months and months.

Tomorrow night for all the marbles! Would love to see the Whitecaps win the championship.

Fantastic the guys won it. Tried to listen in on Tune In radio but couldn't get the signal. Checked the score first thing this morning. I enjoy watching this level of the minor league system.