hail2mich

GDT: Oregon State at Michigan 9/12/2015

The most disconcerting thing was watching the 1st quarter of the MSU/Oregon game. It was like they were a couple of 78 recordings but the UM/OSU game had been played back at 33 1/3.

Much of that may have had to do with Oregon's demanding offensive tempo, which MSU has the athletes to deal with on defense.

Oregon State centered its entire game plan around its tailback, who just wasn't ready for prime time billing. They didn't appear comfortable stretching the field against the Michigan secondary, which is something we haven't heard much of over the last decade.

Saw definite improvement from game 1.

Rudock went through progressions on more than one occasion, been a while since a UM QB has shown that ability.

OL created some holes and RB found them.

Defense was good; Wormley is looking real good

Nice to see adjustments by a coaching staff during the game, not just at half time.

yes it was Oregon State, however sad it may be to say, it has been a while since UM dominated a team in this fashion, even an Oregon State type opponent.

Need more talent but staff is doing a good job with players they have.

Much of that may have had to do with Oregon's demanding offensive tempo, which MSU has the athletes to deal with on defense.

Oregon State centered its entire game plan around its tailback, who just wasn't ready for prime time billing. They didn't appear comfortable stretching the field against the Michigan secondary, which is something we haven't heard much of over the last decade.

I'm sure that did add to the impression, but I'm also talking about speed on the field within individual plays. It looked to me that MSU and O (i.e. - two teams already where M is trying to get) both have much more speed on the offensive side of the ball than M. And not like that is any surprise, we've known/suspected it from the beginning, it just brought you down to earth to see it after the nice win earlier in the day.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I'm sure that did add to the impression, but I'm also talking about speed on the field within individual plays. It looked to me that MSU and O (i.e. - two teams already where M is trying to get) both have much more speed on the offensive side of the ball than M. And not like that is any surprise, we've known/suspected it from the beginning, it just brought you down to earth to see it after the nice win earlier in the day.

No doubt about it, team speed was not a priority for Hoke like it was for RR. I think Harbaugh meets the two in the middle, even if it will take another 12-20 games to show. Players like the two Drakes and maybe even Canteen may be able to bridge the gap until Harbaugh gets guys like Higdon and Cole up to speed--two guys that IMO have "Oregon" type of athleticism and ball skills. Until then, I think we are going to look a lot like the Wisconsin teams of the past three or four years on offense and rely on our defense to win tough ballgames.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the stable of RBs with the return of Drake Johnson, who is pretty much everything Mike Cox could have been. With Freddie Jack gone, I have faith that the best backs will play and that there will--for the most part--be a fresh back in the game. Wheatley, as good as he was, was a part of a rotation of backs for most of his time at Michigan with Jesse Johnson, Ricky Powers, Ed Davis and Biakabutuka. Hopefully he remembers the benefits of fresh legs.

I actually thought Chesson showed some unexpected quickness taking a couple of hitches and beating his man on both. Butt seems to be able to get open at will and Darboh seems to be able to get behind and use his body to make catches--he and Rudock just have to get on the same page and have refs call bear hugs.

But I agree our RBs still look especially slow. Smith ran really hard, but he's not going to break any gains with jukes or speed. Green and Isaac still look like they're running in mud.

Let's see some more fullback dives. Those were sexy.

Interesting comment from Speilman that teams that face a lot of spread/read option offense will probably not defend the fullback well because the play happens faster at the point of attack than anything they are used to defending.

EDIT: also - JH has his players channeling Bo. This quote from Bolden on the running game:

"If you keep executing over and over again — if you keep doing what you do best at your highest level — in my opinion, no matter how (well) somebody executes against you, if you have the answer, then they're not going to win," Bolden said.

I don't know how many times I heard Bo say that almost verbatim.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I actually thought Chesson showed some unexpected quickness taking a couple of hitches and beating his man on both. Butt seems to be able to get open at will and Darboh seems to be able to get behind and use his body to make catches--he and Rudock just have to get on the same page and have refs call bear hugs.

But I agree our RBs still look especially slow. Smith ran really hard, but he's not going to break any gains with jukes or speed. Green and Isaac still look like they're running in mud.

I'll take a running back that averages 5+ per carry, especially when those stats aren't inflated by 1 long run. Breakaway speed is nice but positive yards in chunks of 5 is punishing and eats clock.

I'll take a running back that averages 5+ per carry, especially when those stats aren't inflated by 1 long run. Breakaway speed is nice but positive yards in chunks of 5 is punishing and eats clock.

I mean yeah, 5 yards a carry with no long runs is great, if he does that every game 11-1 here we come.

That isn't sustainable, unfortunately.

I mean yeah, 5 yards a carry with no long runs is great, if he does that every game 11-1 here we come.

Well we will see how the OL continues to develop and what sort of defenses they face. I just wasn't thinking about lack of speed yesterday. Smith had a good day.

Edited by Truth

Please quantify what a long run is. 20+ yards? 30+?

Smith is a huge underdog to break anything over 30 yards any given game due to his 4.6-4.7 range speed, but Drake Johnson and Isaac certainly are capable of a long breakaway with their honest 4.5 speed, vision and running style. Smith is getting as many carries right now as he will receive all year barring injury to other backs IMO.

If defenses really start to pack it in, they'll get healthy doses of Butt and Bunting with some play action sprinkled in--how many TE waggles did you ever see under Hoke? You would think he never coached at Michigan before.

I remember this kid's recruitment being the biggest show in the opening days of the Harbaugh recruiting drive. It isn't clear in the article why he's in New Jersey and not with the Bruins now.

UCLA REPORT: Tight end Chris Clark no longer with Bruins - LA Times

He seemed to be a little pampered and a little self-important to me then. The recruiting "Hamlet acts" must drive the coaches crazy.

I remember this kid's recruitment being the biggest show in the opening days of the Harbaugh recruiting drive. It isn't clear in the article why he's in New Jersey and not with the Bruins now.

He seemed to be a little pampered and a little self-important to me then. The recruiting "Hamlet acts" must drive the coaches crazy.

Wow. He was a big recruiting target. Hopefully Hardballs swoops in.

I noticed in that article that Cordell Broadus (Snoop's son) quit the team as well. Both Clark and Broadus were on Michigan's radar. I wonder what is happening at UCLA to cause these kids to quit their team?

I noticed in that article that Cordell Broadus (Snoop's son) quit the team as well. Both Clark and Broadus were on Michigan's radar. I wonder what is happening at UCLA to cause these kids to quit their team?

Reefer?

It seems most comments out there think this is about the players not the program. I only followed the Clark recruitment...lots of drama. He loved how "chill" Mora was. I am not sure Michigan will be interested.

It seems most comments out there think this is about the players not the program. I only followed the Clark recruitment...lots of drama. He loved how "chill" Mora was. I am not sure Michigan will be interested.

I mean, maybe after he realizes what the spirit of the bayonet is he might realize its better to be the one with the bayonet rather than the one sitting with a doob on the beach.

I mean, maybe after he realizes what the spirit of the bayonet is he might realize its better to be the one with the bayonet rather than the one sitting with a doob on the beach.

Maybe but it might be too late for Michigan to take that chance. Who knows.

B1G Apologizes to Harbaugh for the roughing the kicker penalty. Harbaugh was wrong on the PI call.

Nick Baumgardner ‏@nickbaumgardner 7m7 minutes ago

Jim Harbaugh gets apology from B1G on punt foul, but admits going 1-for-2 in sideline battles Jim Harbaugh gets apology from B1G on punt foul, but admits going 1-for-2 in sideline arguments | MLive.com

Maybe but it might be too late for Michigan to take that chance. Who knows.

Then again Snoop's kid can be that guy because he's got Dad's money. Clark might be wealthy as well.