ROMAD1

Why not hire Gardenhire?

Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if all better options are exhausted (explain)

One of the summers I was in MN, there was an in-depth about all the work they were doing with Punto, who was having moderate success that season - or at least more than was his norm. I remember being impressed at the level of commitment in the org and from Gardenhire to in-depth coaching. It sounded much different than anything I had ever heard the Tigers doing with any player. Now the fact is that Punto didn't get that much better, and some the difference might simply be the quality of the sports journalism. We know the baseball writers in Det are too lazy to get off their asses and actually do any of that kind of reporting so maybe it goes on under Detrtoit's managers and we don't read about it.

And doesn't handle young players well. If people don't like paint by numbers Ausmus, they will really hate Gardy. He is all old school rhetoric in an overweight garden gnome. Just how I see it in the land of Twinkies. It wasn't a surprise when he was fired, and there wasn't fan outrage when it happened either.

This is my feeling as well....Leyland was old-school but it seemed like he gave a lot of leash to younger players. In fantasy baseball I learned to never pick a young Twins player because I knew that Gardy would **** with the guy's PT endlessly.

This is a good argument in favor of Gardy over Ausmus.

I still prefer someone else tho.

One of the summers I was in MN, there was an in-depth about all the work they were doing with Punto, who was having moderate success that season - or at least more than was his norm. I remember being impressed at the level of commitment in the org and from Gardenhire to in-depth coaching. It sounded much different than anything I had ever heard the Tigers doing with any player. Now the fact is that Punto didn't get that much better, and some the difference might simply be the quality of the sports journalism. We know the baseball writers in Det are too lazy to get off their asses and actually do any of that kind of reporting so maybe it goes on under Detrtoit's managers and we don't read about it.

Teams have so much $$$ and time invested in players it is hard for me to believe they aren't actively trying to coach up players that they believe are close to a breakthrough.

HaHa - JL got a negative grade across his 2500 games.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Teams have so much $$$ and time invested in players it is hard for me to believe they aren't actively trying to coach up players that they believe are close to a breakthrough.

Exactly. But then OTOH, you have that old school idea - "Don't think, just hit" which actually seems to work for some guys also - so who is right and when beats the hell out of me.

Or then you have guys like Nick - who was working on a bunch of technical stuff and then - if what we hear is correct - sort of had to take a step back and let it fall into place. But that doesn't mean the technical work didn't help, maybe only that at some point he had to let the part that learned become 'thoughtless' to him.

Exactly. But then OTOH, you have that old school idea - "Don't think, just hit" which actually seems to work for some guys also - so who is right and when beats the hell out of me.

Or then you have guys like Nick - who was working on a bunch of technical stuff and then - if what we hear is correct - sort of had to take a step back and let it fall into place. But that doesn't mean the technical work didn't help, maybe only that at some point he had to let the part that learned become 'thoughtless' to him.

You also have the possibly apocryphal tales of the Twins trying to turn David Ortiz into an inside out go the other way kind of hitter. Coaching is weird

I would argue that the the players making the .2 billion coordinate most of their own activities. I wouldn't say a managers role is insignificant, just less significant than a lot of fans make it out to be.

QFT. A manager is important in that it gives fans someone to hate when a team doesn't perform to their expectations. Other than that, not so much.

QFT. A manager is important in that it gives fans someone to hate when a team doesn't perform to their expectations. Other than that, not so much.

Waiting for the team to not have a manager to prove you guys right. Save that cash for player salaries and improving the quality of the post game meal.

There's a classic .gif of Ron Gardenhire calling for a bunt in every situation mixed in with pictures of the Khmer Rouge and various other worldwide atrocities. It's all I can picture in my head thinking of him as the Tigers manager

Please find that!

Waiting for the team to not have a manager to prove you guys right. Save that cash for player salaries and improving the quality of the post game meal.

How are we supposed to know about the post game meal if we don't have a manager to eat it on camera?

Please find that!

I haven't found it, but there are some gems when you google "Gardenhire bunt gif", like this.

iglesias_hbp2_8-16-13.gif

Why not to hire him:

• He was a Twin and therefore is evil.

• Most posters on this board don't think he is a good manager.

• His last 3 seasons were pretty atrocious.

Why to hire him:

• He will have the Leyland effect and guys will play hard and know they have a strong leader.

• He had a prolonged run of success with a crappy organization that should have been contracted.

• He had zero talent on his roster his last three years and therefore shouldn't be judged on that.

I could go either way. I think he is a good manager who has always held the Tigers organization in high regard and at some point as I recall, it almost seemed like he was lobbying for the job here. That said, I could go for a guy like Acta or Renteria, too.

Why not to hire him:

• Most posters on this board don't think he is a good manager.

Why to hire him:

• He will have the Leyland effect and guys will play hard and know they have a strong leader.

• He had a prolonged run of success with a crappy organization that should have been contracted.

• He had zero talent on his roster his last three years and therefore shouldn't be judged on that.

I could go either way. I think he is a good manager who has always held the Tigers organization in high regard and at some point as I recall, it almost seemed like he was lobbying for the job here. That said, I could go for a guy like Acta or Renteria, too.

You forgot:

• He’s not Ausmus.

Why not to hire him:

Most posters on this board don't think he is a good manager.

Why to hire him:

I probably should have included a poll.

I'm still in the pre-primary data gathering phase. I suspect that the concerns of data nerds should be evaluated and included as a interview point if he makes it that far. Like asking Jeb about (political subject matter) or Hillary about (insert political snark).

Edited by ROMAD1

You forgot:

• He’s not Ausmus.

Well, I figured that was an automatic plus for any candidate we are considering, be it Gardenhire, Acta or the Easter Bunny.

Well, I figured that was an automatic plus for any candidate we are considering, be it Gardenhire, Acta or the Easter Bunny.

It is likely the biggest thing that he has going in his favor here.

Not being as provably bad at his job as Ausmus would be a positive for any prospective candidate. I hope they put that in the newspaper ad.

Not being as provably bad at his job as Ausmus would be a positive for any prospective candidate. I hope they put that in the newspaper ad.

Heh.

The first question I would ask of any candidate if I were Avila is "What is your opinion of Joba Chamberlain?"

That should be an easy way to weed out the pretenders from the contenders.

The first question I would ask of any candidate if I were Avila is "What is your opinion of Joba Chamberlain?"

I'd immediately hire any candidate whose first question was about the benefits and paid time off because he has a couple kids who tend to get sick a lot.

Well, he's no Alex Wilson, that's for sure. Do I get the job?

Well, he's no Alex Wilson, that's for sure. Do I get the job?

Not quite yet, but you would advance to the second round of interviews. And things would be looking pretty good for you.

The next question would be:

"Provide at least two reasons why you might pinch run for Miguel Cabrera on third base with no one out, leading 2-1 in the top of the 10th inning."

(If you are unable to provide any reasons, you advance to the third round.)

My poll answer was "if better options didn't exist'

Better options are always the best bet.

Not quite yet, but you would advance to the second round of interviews. And things would be looking pretty good for you.

The next question would be:

"Provide at least two reasons why you might pinch run for Miguel Cabrera on third base with no one out, leading 2-1 in the top of the 10th inning."

(If you are unable to provide any reasons, you advance to the third round.)

That's not a fair criteria until you have heard my response.