ROMAD1

Why not hire Gardenhire?

Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if all better options are exhausted (explain)

Excellently put. I own a small business, and there is no question that the success of my business is largely dependent upon me directing employees, working with them, motivating them to an extent and knowing when to say what to which employee. If I don't put them in the best position to successfully do what I've hired them to do, that's on me. And it will show in our productivity, or lackthereof.

With all due respect your employees probably aren't as skilled at what they do as what professional baseball players are at what they do. Millions and millions of people play baseball yet only like 600 or so play professionally. So they are the absolute best of the best.

With all due respect your employees probably aren't as skilled at what they do as what professional baseball players are at what they do. Millions and millions of people play baseball yet only like 600 or so play professionally. So they are the absolute best of the best.

I own a professional baseball team.

I own a professional baseball team.

Looking at the Richmond location. His team may be called the Flying Squirrels

yes, they also added Zumaya and Rogers. It was a very different team. I don't think it's possible in baseball to make that kind of improvement just with a new manager. Dramatic improvement is always going to involve better players and healthier players. That's not say a manager can't help at all. It's just that a manager's impact is not as dramatic as some are making it.

05-06 is exactly what we have to hope for going into '16. Two stars to come back and give us full seasons (Verlander, Cabrera), some highly touted young players with potential for break out years - Castallanos, Norris, Wilson, Rondon, Fulmer, to go with whatever moves the FO can make.

Edited by Gehringer_2

05-06 is exactly what we have to hope for going into '16. Two stars to come back and give us full seasons (Verlander, Cabrera), some highly touted young players with potential for break out years - Castallanos, Norris, Wilson, Rondon, Fulmer, to go with whatever moves the FP can make.

It's a good comparison. The new manager would probably get all the credit, but that's fine.

The entire Tigers organization has become a ****ing clown car. I know we haven't seen anything substantial from him yet, but I'm starting to wonder whether Al Avila is a pity hire. You know, the guy who's been carrying water for the team so long it's like, hey, let's give the job to him because he's been such a good soldier. A good organizations would never make hires for such a stupid reason, but at this point I can't be at all sure that the Tigers wouldn't. And Avila père seems jazzed enough by his new job that he can't help but title-drop when he gets the opportunity.

In my opinion, if our new Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations and General Manager had even a passing familiarity with decency, he would fire Brad Ausmus immediately instead of letting him stumble through the rest of the season like an uninterested zombie with the ability to infect the rest of the clubhouse with his malaise (if he hasn't done so already).

This franchise is on the verge of becoming a complete s***show. They're at the fork in the road where they decide whether they're going to wander in the desert for the next dozen years, just like before, or do a complete overhaul of philosophy and approach a la Chicago Cubs. I can't predict now which way they will go, but I can tell you this: if we are talking about their lack of direction at this time next year, we will know then that they have taken the former path.

The entire Tigers organization has become a ****ing clown car. I know we haven't seen anything substantial from him yet, but I'm starting to wonder whether Al Avila is a pity hire. You know, the guy who's been carrying water for the team so long it's like, hey, let's give the job to him because he's been such a good soldier. A good organizations would never make hires for such a stupid reason, but at this point I can't be at all sure that the Tigers wouldn't. And Avila père seems jazzed enough by his new job that he can't help but title-drop when he gets the opportunity.

In my opinion, if our new Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations and General Manager had even a passing familiarity with decency, he would fire Brad Ausmus immediately instead of letting him stumble through the rest of the season like an uninterested zombie with the ability to infect the rest of the clubhouse with his malaise (if he hasn't done so already).

This franchise is on the verge of becoming a complete s***show. They're at the fork in the road where they decide whether they're going to wander in the desert for the next dozen years, just like before, or do a complete overhaul of philosophy and approach a la Chicago Cubs. I can't predict now which way they will go, but I can tell you this: if we are talking about their lack of direction at this time next year, we will know then that they have taken the former path.

Firing or leaving Ausmus has been hashed to death, but the slam on Avila is a little rough. A GM really doesn't have anything public to do from the deadline to the end of the season - anything useful Avila is doing in this period is going to be mostly scouting and evaluation stuff we are not going to see any results from until he starts making off-season moves. Avila's evaluation doesn't really come until we see the team that takes the field next April.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Firing or leaving Ausmus has been hashed to death, but the slam on Avila is a little rough. A GM really doesn't have anything public to do from the deadline to the end of the season - anything useful Avila is doing in this period is going to be mostly scouting and evaluation stuff we are not going to see any results from until he starts making off-season moves. Avila's evaluation doesn't really come until we see the team that takes the field next April.

I can see where it looks like I am being a little rough on the guy, but to be clear, I didn't say Al Avila was a pity hire. I'm saying that I don't know that he's not. Until he starts making his mark on the team, I don't think any of us can know either way.

And I'm not saying he has no decency—I'm saying that if he does, he would fire Ausmus now instead of letting him twist in the wind for the next three weeks and making the rest of the team wonder why the hell it's not being dealt with now.

Here's a question for you: Based on what you know of what's going on inside, if you were a player on the Tigers, how much confidence would you have in the organization right now? I wouldn't have much.

A GM in a normal situation might not have anything public to do from the deadline to the end of the season, but would you not agree that the Tigers are not in a normal situation? Whether they intended it or not, a very public situation has been created concerning their manager that demands to be dealt with immediately, because otherwise, from now until he's actually fired, Brad Ausmus is going to be the #1 story of the Tigers. That can't be what they actually want, can it?

The longer the Ausmus Thing goes on, the less confident I as a fan have in the Tigers.

yup, we won't know a thing until we see what kind of budget he is given and what kinds of moves he makes this winter.

Yeah it sucks so bad that it's the second week of September and instead of having a magic number thread, or talking about potential playoff rotations we are discussing hiring a former Twins manager. This is a complete nightmare.

Ausmus deserves the final month. Dude will probably better after he reflects on his failures a bit

We need to terminate this thread and see if the "Rebuild or Reload" thread is up to handling posts for the rest of the season.

Yeah you can't even compare the 06 and 05 team. They added Rogers, Verlander, Todd Jones(yeah he was all BABIP but he did get the job done in 06), a more seasoned Bonderman and Robertson, a healthy Guillen and Ordonez, more innings out of Rodney and Walker and full years of Polanco and Granderson. Plus they got a red hot Shelton to start the year. Leyland may have added something to the team but I don't think it's even fair to compare that team to the 05 team. That 06 team was so much better even without the manager.

Leyland claims that it was his decision to bring Zoom north as a converted starter in the 'pen.....I'm also pretty sure that Leyland made more/better use of Thames than another manager would have in that situation (certainly vs. Trammell in 2005 anyway). I believe his decisions/handling of those two were worth a couple of wins right there.

Everybody in the rotation did as well as you could have expected....every major piece in the bullpen worked well. The positional bench players performed well enough.

Was that all just luck/coincidence? I guess you think it was luck, or that anybody would have had the same results.....OK, everybody is entitled to their own.

I sure don't agree that Leyland "may have added something". I'm quite positive that he was the driving force behind an otherwise mediocre team being a powerhouse for 2/3rds of the season. If I had to guess I'd say he was worth at least 5-10 wins due to skillful selection and handling of players/forces. There were decisions/strategies that he made or influenced that I still disagree with (releasing Pena, making Jones the closer) but he made it work better than I could have ever expected, all of the pieces clicked, and the organization thrived for 10 years afterwards....not a coincidence IMHO.

Leyland was certainly better than Trammell, but I disagree with the popular narrative that he transformed the franchise over night. They had a much better team in 2006 than 2005. They were not as good the next four years.

Also you have to keep in mind that the 05 White Sox were one of the most dominating teams of that time, and the TIgers had to play them 18 times in 05. While they were good in 06 they weren't close to the level they were in 05. So that's extra wins for the Tigers right there.

Leyland was certainly better than Trammell, but I disagree with the popular narrative that he transformed the franchise over night. They had a much better team in 2006 than 2005. They were not as good the next four years.

Yup, agreed.