ROMAD1

Why not hire Gardenhire?

Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if all better options are exhausted (explain)

All 3 have never been in my kitchen

Was thinking about that one the other day. A true classic.

I'm not upset or worked up about anything that has happened here. This is not going to impact who we hire as our next manager or who we bring in as a free agent. There will be plenty of people anxious to get the managerial job, assuming Gardenhire isn't official at this point. And plenty of free agents will want to take our money. Sometimes a leak gets out. That's life. Avila isn't going to let a leak change his course here. Then he looks weak and small. Just ride it out for 3 weeks and fire Ausmus the day after the season. No big deal. People are trying to get up in arms about something that is not worth it.

I am not sure how you can be so confident that they won't be impacted. The Tigers don't look like a stable organization. They may be for sale, their owner may be a meddling old man not fully in charge of his faculties, the much admired Dombrowski was unceremoniously shown the door, they have an untested GM and their pitching staff is a mess. The leaking of the Ausmus firing is just more evidence of an organization in disarray.

I am not sure how you can be so confident that they won't be impacted. The Tigers don't look like a stable organization. They may be for sale, their owner may be a meddling old man not fully in charge of his faculties, the much admired Dombrowski was unceremoniously shown the door, they have an untested GM and their pitching staff is a mess. The leaking of the Ausmus firing is just more evidence of an organization in disarray.

Agreed....I understand that this is a talented team and could be turned around pretty quickly in 2016 by a competent GM with the right support and resources....I think our best hope is that Avila has the smarts and the gumption to pull this organization together around him, hire a good manager (despite the many statements made here about how little that matters, I am certain that it matters a lot), and partner with that manager to build and run a good roster for 2016...then get to work on getting the farm system back on its feet.

I think Avila can do it...however it seems to me that he will have to contend with some dysfunctional **** from the owner's office and some of the people around him.

You have to admit, it's a lot of angst, emotion and energy going into something that has very little impact on the outcome of baseball games. Not counting leadership skills. which can't be quantified, the strategic decisions Ausmus makes are not dissimilar to his cohorts, and the statistical impact of the choices, over the course of a season, don't have much impact on wins and losses. It's much ado about nothing, and I don't think it makes anyone feel better, so what's the point?

I know of no other manager who would pitch to last year's batting champ with a base open and the game on the line.

It kills me how people keep saying a manager has no effect on wins and losses. Go through these game threads; you'll see people complaining about several moves that had a direct impact on games.

Somewhere along the line, someone propagated this misconception that managers have no impact. It seems silly to me after what we've seen the past two years.

You think pulling Sanchez out of the playoff game and installing Joba had no impact on that outcome? If so, I think you couldn't be more wrong.

Somewhere along the line, someone propagated this misconception that managers have no impact. It seems silly to me after what we've seen the past two years.

They have some impact, but I don't think they have as much as you say. This comes from 47 years of watching managers go from genius to dummy based on the talent of their rosters.

I know of no other manager who would pitch to last year's batting champ with a base open and the game on the line.

It kills me how people keep saying a manager has no effect on wins and losses. Go through these game threads; you'll see people complaining about several moves that had a direct impact on games.

You think pulling Sanchez out of the playoff game and installing Joba had no impact on that outcome? If so, I think you couldn't be more wrong.

Human factors are always more important than other considerations. Leadership and culture matters more than money, it matters more than talent. if you don't have 25-40 players pulling in something resembling the same direction you will lose.

Human factors are always more important than other considerations. Leadership and culture matters more than money, it matters more than talent. if you don't have 25-40 players pulling in something resembling the same direction you will lose.

The Athletics and Yankees were two of the most dominant franchises of my youth and they had all kinds of clubhouse problems. The We Are Family Pirates were all high on cocaine and their nice guy manager just let it happen, but they won a championship. Maybe that's why I grew up thinking it's all about talent.

This is vastly overrated. Baseball is no different than any other profession. People police themselves and 99% of the time, everyone figures out how to get along. People may blow up time to time but the next day it's back to normal. I've never seen "great leadership"... I've never needed it. No adult should. Especially when you have the distraction of doing something fun every day.

How exactly do players on a baseball team pull in different directions? You get an AB, you hit the ball. A ball is hit to you, you catch it. Are players supposedly trying to prevent each other from allowing this to happen? How exactly does one pull in a different direction than another player?

Not trying to be a smartass, just never understood this.

In other sports I think cohesiveness and chemistry can mean something but I just don't buy it in baseball, atleast not to that big of extent. Of course I've never been in a major league clubhouse so I could be way off base. I just think in baseball it's such an individually based sport. It's you vs. the pitcher or you vs. the batter. If you hate somebody on the team it really doesn't matter they don't effect your at bat at all.

Now I think there is something to be said for a manager that is able to motivate guys(keep them in top shape, focused, watching video etc.) but even that is hard to quantify. Hell I don't even if any manager has that effect on a player, but if they do I could understand that being valuable. But the chemistry stand point I really don't buy into. And I will definitely take talent over all the other stuff.

This is vastly overrated. Baseball is no different than any other profession. People police themselves and 99% of the time, everyone figures out how to get along. People may blow up time to time but the next day it's back to normal. I've never seen "great leadership"... I've never needed it. No adult should. Especially when you have the distraction of doing something fun every day.

I've never had a job where leadership really mattered. I've had good managers and crappy managers, but all the work still gets done and people get along OK.

You people don't think this current crop of Tigers isn't already defeated before they put their cleats on? That's leadership.

How exactly do players on a baseball team pull in different directions? You get an AB, you hit the ball. A ball is hit to you, you catch it. Are players supposedly trying to prevent each other from allowing this to happen? How exactly does one pull in a different direction than another player?

Not trying to be a smartass, just never understood this.

I agree. I think that type of thing can matter in other sports where there is a flow to the game and players have to be on the same page.

But baseballs an individual sport... when the ball is hit to you you make the play. You dont rely on a pick or block or another guy to be somewhere... in the box the guys in the dugout or on base cant do anything for you.

In other sports I think cohesiveness and chemistry can mean something but I just don't buy it in baseball, atleast not to that big of extent. Of course I've never been in a major league clubhouse so I could be way off base. I just think in baseball it's such an individually based sport. It's you vs. the pitcher or you vs. the batter. If you hate somebody on the team it really doesn't matter they don't effect your at bat at all.

Now I think there is something to be said for a manager that is able to motivate guys(keep them in top shape, focused, watching video etc.) but even that is hard to quantify. Hell I don't even if any manager has that effect on a player, but if they do I could understand that being valuable. But the chemistry stand point I really don't buy into. And I will definitely take talent over all the other stuff.

I don't think 95% of professional athletes need any motivation either. Most elite athletes I've known are highly disciplined, motivated individuals who work hard at their sport. And these guys are way more elite than the people I've known.

You people don't think this current crop of Tigers isn't already defeated before they put their cleats on? That's leadership.

Aside from Kinsler, Cabrera, V-Mart and Verlander I think every player on the team is playing for something next year. Whether it's a new contract, arbitration raises or just a chance to be on the Tigers' or somebody else's radar for a major league spot next year. That amount of money is more motivation than any manager will give them.

No, I don't think they are defeated before games. I think they go into every game thinking they have a good chance to win. There are always exceptions but I believe pro athletes are generally highly competitive and confident people who expect the most of themselves.

No, I don't think they are defeated before games. I think they go into every game thinking they have a good chance to win. There are always exceptions but I believe pro athletes are generally highly competitive and confident people who expect the most of themselves.

Yeah most people are competitive by nature and don't like losing, and I'd imagine pro athletes who have been competing their whole lives are even more so. I don't think any of them like to lose or to look bad in front of thousands of people.

I think a good manager has a bigger positive impact on a team than a bad manager has a negative impact on a team, for the most part. Now, a REALLY awful manager could have a bigger negative impact than a great manager has a positive impact.

It's just like any business. You might have great people, but if there is not strong leadership at the top, those people may not know what to do, or what exactly is expected of them, or they may not be placed in the best positions to succeed. A strong leader sets the tone. A weak leader sets no tone, or a bad one.

Clubhouse stuff may have mattered years ago when players had more free time and were more likely to hang out but I think nowadays they are so focused on taking care of themselves financially and physically that they all do their own thing. They are corporations.

Maybe by the end of a 6-0 game, but that's human nature. No manager is going to rah-rah his team in that situation. And frankly, that would get really annoying. But I don't believe I've yet to see a player looking like he doesn't want to play to start the game. Certainly not the entire team.