ROMAD1

Why not hire Gardenhire?

Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if all better options are exhausted (explain)

The statement sounded a bit awkward and uncalculated to me.

I agree. I meant the result was that he's on ice, etc.

Avila only has a job because his son is on the team.

I guess that means Bruce Fields need not apply?

This is obviously a disgruntled DD hire providing the leak.

My money is on the singing hot dog guy, Charlie Marcuse.

This whole thing is pretty embarrassing for what was a button-down organization for so many years. I think a lot of that was Ilitch taking a back seat and letting DD run the show. I don't know if it's Mr. I's patience running thin, or Chris entering the picture or what, but things have definitely changed of late, starting with, as many others have mentioned, the Max Scherzer press release which expressed a tone of bitterness.

I know that was officially from DD, but it sounds an awful lot like the press release Mr. I issued when DD was let go.

My impression is that Mr. I quickly becomes embittered by anything he sees as lack of loyalty, which is what he saw with Max, the first major FA to turn down a big offer and leave the team since the 06 renaissance.

I also think these developments lend credence to the DSR report about Ausmus/Gardy and also about why Mr. I let go of DD.

Yes, Ilitch was frustrated by the last couple seasons, but the DSR report said that DD was expecting a big raise in his next contract, something Mr. I could have easily seen as "unloyal" considering the results of the last couple seasons.

That report also said that Mr. I never wanted Ausmus and wanted him fired much earlier in the year. This whole Ausmus business isn't pretty, but I'm hoping it's just about getting that last bit of bitterness over the whole DD/Ausmus conflict out of his system and after this is over he let's Avila run the show, and conduct his own manager search.

I do think Brad should be let go immediately. Lamont is more than capable of running the show for the rest of the season. You may remember that he was the runner up for the Red Sox manager job to Bobby Valentine. That would have been another example (like Hurdle in Pitt) of a very saber FO hiring an old school/good clubhouse manager who would presumably be very open to incorporating analytics on a day to day basis.

As for replacements, I'm fine with Gardy if the thought is he can be molded into a Hurdle type. I don't think there is any chance they bring in someone without a lot of experience, so even Renteria feels like a bit of a stretch to me.

I'm not upset or worked up about anything that has happened here. This is not going to impact who we hire as our next manager or who we bring in as a free agent. There will be plenty of people anxious to get the managerial job, assuming Gardenhire isn't official at this point. And plenty of free agents will want to take our money. Sometimes a leak gets out. That's life. Avila isn't going to let a leak change his course here. Then he looks weak and small. Just ride it out for 3 weeks and fire Ausmus the day after the season. No big deal. People are trying to get up in arms about something that is not worth it.

I missed seeing any video of Al Avila discussing the Tigers managerial situation, but I imagine it looked a lot like this...

footinmouth.jpg

Getting excited about a manager is like getting excited about the difference between being poked in the eye with a sharp stick or a dull one. None of us are going to be all that happy with the results.

Does the runner-up in the manager selection get the vacant Toledo job??

I'll volunteer for the Toledo gig. At least it saves them on relocation expenses.

Getting excited about a manager is like getting excited about the difference between being poked in the eye with a sharp stick or a dull one. None of us are going to be all that happy with the results.

I hate it when that happens!

Agreed, but conversely, I think we will all agree that so long as the next manager gets the Tigers winning again, we probably will not really care who that manager turns out to be. If the Tigers hired Joseph Stalin and he got the Tigers to a world series victory in 2016, I might be tempted to overlook Stalin's politics and authoritarian management style too...

And with that being said, I really hope the Tigers would give Kate Upton some serious consideration...

kate_upton_game_of_war_hEG8uO2u.sized.jpg

I atleast like a manager that is likable and entertaining. If they're gonna suck at their job atleast be those things. Ausmus certainly isn't and from what I know about gardenhire he isn't either. Hell atleast Brad doesn't look like a garden knome so he has that going for him.

So what do we know about Rick Renteria?

I'll start. I know that his name is not Steve.

I'm going to make a dark horse prediction: Torey Lovullo.

I'd be stunned if Avila's first significant move was hiring a first time manager. Stunned!

There are plenty of reasonable candidates out there that have experience running a big league club.

Can anyone think of a recent example where a team that expected to win hired a first time manager and were happy with the results?

Matheny has done okay in StL, but he's had a significant learning curve and with that team and farm system, I doubt Ausmus would have done any worse.

Torey has managed a lot in the minors and is currently managing the Red Sox. He's nowhere near as inexperienced as Brad.

But I really have no clue if he'd be any good or not, throwing a name out there just because.

Torey has managed a lot in the minors and is currently managing the Red Sox. He's nowhere near as inexperienced as Brad.

But I really have no clue if he'd be any good or not, throwing a name out there just because.

I think the bigger issue is that would Avila want his first move be a guy cast off by his old boss?