ROMAD1

Why not hire Gardenhire?

Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if all better options are exhausted (explain)

Rosenthal is referring to the previous manager search two years ago.

Doesn't invalidate anything.

To your point...

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 3m3 minutes ago

On Ausmus: @DarkoStateNews first said that he will be out and that Gardenhire will replace him. We soon will learn exactly what is going on.

Rosenthal just threw the hairy troll a bone.

Who knows... maybe it's all worked out already and Brad knows and he's already going to SD next year so everybody's just doing their job until the season's over...

True. Just because some information has been leaked doesn't mean that everything has been leaked. Or that what has been leaked is actual information.

There seem to be some knowns and some unknowns, and there is probably a mixture of known unknowns and unknown knowns as well. Who knows?

Matt Dery suggested a few weeks ago that Brad would go back to San Diego. Maybe they had a meeting and Avila gave him the choice of going now or staying and he asked to stay to continue learning... I don't know... just throwing **** out there.

Well, he'd have to be an even worse financial than baseball manager to walk away from next yr's salary instead of hanging around for three weeks. He has to make them fire him if they want him gone short term.

Well, he'd have to be an even worse financial than baseball manager to walk away from next yr's salary instead of hanging around for three weeks. He has to make them fire him if they want him gone short term.

He doesn't need to hang around for three weeks. If he called up Al and said he didn't want to manage, he would still end up getting paid. Al won't force him to finish the season if he doesn't want to, especially given the circumstances of the news being picked up everywhere.

He doesn't need to hang around for three weeks. If he called up Al and said he didn't want to manage, he would still end up getting paid. Al won't force him to finish the season if he doesn't want to, especially given the circumstances of the news being picked up everywhere.

Exactly.

You are assuming the 'grumpy old owner is losing it' thesis does not apply. I have a much more open mind on that than I used to even quite recently.

How would he get paid for next year by leaving of his own will this year?

Depends what his contract says.

Depends what his contract says.

I can't imagine that his contract would say "If you quit at any time, we will continue to pay your entire salary through the duration of the contract."

Because Al would say "ok then you are relived of your duties."

Ausmus would have won with the 2012 and 2013 team. He is getting a bit of a raw deal with this ****** team, but he has hurt himself with his decisions and apparently did not do the greatest job of communicating with his players. The Price situation and the fiasco where Wilson, Avila and himself all had three different ideas about what to do in that Altuve at bat, come to mind.

I would not be surprised if he becomes successful somewhere else, but his bridges have been burned here. The best thing for him, IMO, is to go to the minors for a few seasons and get the kinks worked out of his managing style. He reminds me of a player that was brought up to the majors before he was fully developed and then proceeded to flop on his face.

Because Al would say "ok then you are relived of your duties."

Ok, gotcha. I thought you were saying something else. I agree with this.

I can't imagine that his contract would say "If you quit at any time, we will continue to pay your entire salary through the duration of the contract."

Reality isn't limited by your imagination.

It's at minimum an embarrassing, unconformable situation for Ausmus and at the the worst a very unprofessional situation that the Tigers front office has let develop.

I would think at this point a statement by Avila would be warranted.

Something along the lines of, "The Tigers and Brad Ausmus have agreed to part ways after this season. It was a decision both of us had agreed to and we both agreed it would be best for Brad to finish out the season and then release the decision. Unfortunately we have had an embarrassing breach of trust in the organization that has let this information slip out earlier then we had planned, but we want to assure the fans that we very much like and respect Brad Ausmus and feel he did a fine job for us this year with the cards he was dealt and we apologize for putting him in this akward situation."

It's at minimum an embarrassing, unconformable situation for Ausmus and at the the worst a very unprofessional situation that the Tigers front office has let develop.

I would think at this point a statement by Avila would be warranted.

Something along the lines of, "The Tigers and Brad Ausmus have agreed to part ways after this season. It was a decision both of us had agreed to and we both agreed it would be best for Brad to finish out the season and then release the decision. Unfortunately we have had an embarrassing breach of trust in the organization that has let this information slip out earlier then we had planned, but we want to assure the fans that we very much like and respect Brad Ausmus and feel he did a fine job for us this year with the cards he was dealt and we apologize for putting him in this akward situation."

WWDDD?

It is similar to the leak regarding the Scherzer contract negotiations. That left a sour taste in Max's mouth and probably some other players as well.

I'm ok with Gardenhire and frankly, the Tigers could do a lot worse than him. Ozzie Guillen is probably still thinking he's ready to manage again and I'm sure Tiger fans would be pretty excited to see if Jim Leyland would want another tour as the Tigers manager too.

On the managers I wouldn't mind wearing the english D, I doubt Tony La Russa would want to manage again, Joe Madden isn't leaving the Cubs and Mike Scioscia is seeing some strangeness from the Angels front office, so 1) I'm not sure if Scioscia wants to leave anyway and 2) I'm wondering if the Tigers would want him if he was to suddenly become available. Also I'd be fine with Terry Francona too, but again, I doubt he'd be leaving Cleveland (he's signed through 2018) so....

Reality isn't limited by your imagination.

Never said that it was. But I have never heard of a contract with that type of language, that's all.

Yes I was.

If the Tigers had any other manager this season, could he have done dramatically better than Ausmus?

I think of it this way.

Everyone would agree that the Springfield power plan is run quite poorly. Radiation leaks and near complete meltdowns are common, and the surrounding area is heavily polluted.

There is no doubt that one employee could make little difference. Few employees have any training or proper supervision, and they mostly seem to be uneducated fools. Ownership is a vengeful old man who appears to be ravaged by senility.

However, is Homer Simpson still an unqualified oaf? Yes, yes he is.

All I can say to Brad Ausmus' managing this season is, d'oh!

Never said that it was. But I have never heard of a contract with that type of language, that's all.

I know, I was ribbing you. I do not believe that the contracts are written for a role, but rather to be employed by the club. He could be fired as manager, and still be under contract. If he wants to work elsewhere, he still needs released from the contract.

The statement from Al Avila seems calculated to keep Brad on ice and uncomfortable for 3 weeks. Frankly I don't care...he's a millionaire and has led a charmed life.