ROMAD1

Why not hire Gardenhire?

Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if all better options are exhausted (explain)

This season, Brad made a lot of terrible moves that were beyond explanation.

Being able to prevent catastrophe wasn't possible. That doesn't also mean he himself didn't do a terrible job as well.

I don't understand why people find it so hard to evaluate a manager past what the players do.

Yeah, I don't think it is difficult to understand.

I'm indifferent on Ausmus returning. I can understand if they feel they need to make a change because he has made some puzzling moves. Even if he made those moves the right way, he can't overcome all of the player performance issues and flip the standings.

I'm not sure having a lame duck manager for the next, what, 3 1/2 weeks, is a good idea. Actually, its probably a ******** idea now that the news is out there.

I think it is very ironic that the Tigers leadership will be leaving Ausmus on the job longer than rational outsiders think he should be. I'll bet Anibal Sanchez is giggling to himself about that.

Shane Greene would only grunt and not giggle but he might also express some inner mirth.

Nobody is saying that Ausmus is good. People are saying he is receiving too much blame and attention.

He seemed to be asking why Brad should be fired...

Yeah, I don't think it is difficult to understand.

I'm indifferent on Ausmus returning. I can understand if they feel they need to make a change because he has made some puzzling moves. Even if he made those moves the right way, he can't overcome all of the player performance issues and flip the standings.

I'm not sure having a lame duck manager for the next, what, 3 1/2 weeks, is a good idea. Actually, its probably a ******** idea now that the news is out there.

It is a ******* idea to leave him there. It's disrespectful to Ausmus and the team.

Given the loss of Scherzer, Verlander's injury, Miggy's injury, I don't know that any manager could have prevented the ship from sinking. However, you cannot perform like the Tigers have in the 2nd half & expect to keep your job.

As far as Gardenhire, I'm not sure he's a fit. I do believe it depends greatly on what other moves they make player wise in the off-season.

I really don't care if Ausmus twists in the wind for three weeks. I think he has earned that, candidly. But he had to be fired. Price didn't like him. He criticized Cueto, who may be a free agent we are targeting. And he was the worst tactical manager we have had since Pujols.

It is a ******* idea to leave him there. It's disrespectful to Ausmus and the team.

They also make themselves look bad for letting this leak out. The organization seems to be a mess right now.

He seemed to be asking why Brad should be fired...

Yes I was.

If the Tigers had any other manager this season, could he have done dramatically better than Ausmus?

and I wondered what we'd talk about today.

1. Chicken, Egg, Egg, Chicken about the bullpen and starters

2. Baserunning philosophy that has run smack dab into predictability and piss poor execution

3. Is Gardenhire even the right guy? Are there better options?

4. Is leaving-Ausmus-hanging-out-to-dry what is happening if this is only a DSR idiot and Weekend at Bernies rumor?

5. How good is lame duck to eat? Is it as greasy as regular duck?

Yes I was.

If the Tigers had any other manager this season, could he have done dramatically better than Ausmus?

Tactically? Yes. Dealing with players? Possibly, if not probably. Even a pretty reasonable argument to be made that they would have won more games. Not enough to make a difference, but he didn't help the team one bit and may have hurt it quite a bit.

I have $20 on Brad quitting or officially being fired today. Anyone wanna take this?

They also make themselves look bad for letting this leak out. The organization seems to be a mess right now.

This to me is a reflection of an owner who is no longer able to set the right tone in the organization.

Avila is going to have humongous task to right the ship, and that goes way beyond the roster issues.

3. Is Gardenhire even the right guy? Are there better options?

I hope they do a thorough search and don't pigeon hole themselves with someone.

I don't know that any of the retreads inspire me much. Gardenhire's last few seasons were losing seasons. He gets replaced by a first time manager, and they've won more games this season than last with 25 games left to go. A lot of 2014's team was held over to this season, although they did add Hunter and have promoted wonderkid Sano. I'm not sure that that is favorable for Gardenhire.

One of the could be rookies that got a lot of publicity last offseason was Torey Lovullo. He's worked his way up through the minors, experienced as a coach and manager. John Farrell's health might make this a bit sticky, I'm not sure. He might not even be the right guy, I don't know.

This to me is a reflection of an owner who is no longer able to set the right tone in the organization.

Avila is going to have humongous task to right the ship, and that goes way beyond the roster issues.

Hell, why not go for the trifecta? Change in GM, change in manager, change in ownership. Might sound drastic on the last one, but it might be time. Ilitch may simply not have the capacity to do what is needed as the role of an owner anymore.

I have $20 on Brad quitting or officially being fired today. Anyone wanna take this?

He is under contract for 2016 so I'm not sure how that would work if he quits... depends on the language I guess. I assume if he's fired he still gets all or some of the 2016. If he quits he gets none. But who knows.

He is under contract for 2016 so I'm not sure how that would work if he quits... depends on the language I guess. I assume if he's fired he still gets all or some of the 2016. If he quits he gets none. But who knows.

I have to image at this point they're prepared to pay him for next year even if he does quit. They have to realize this is their doing. But who knows. They have to repair their reputation at this point and bickering over the contract won't help matters.

Truthfully, if I'm Brad, damn the contract. I'm out. Any other organization wouldn't hold that against him either so that shouldn't be an issue.

I would like someone to set up a poll on manager alternatives. I can't seem to from my work computer.

1. Bud Black

2. A medically rejuvenated Kirk Gibson

3. Rick Renteria

4. Ron Gardenhire

5. Alan Trammell

6. Dave Clark - because he's not in any way responsible for 23 outs at the plate in 2015

7. Manny Acta - because he's foreign

8. Dusty Baker - because an adjective can be a first name.

9. Bo Porter - always seemed to bear up well under the Astros terribleness

10. Ron Washington - Leyland liked him and people like a party animal

11. Dave Martinez - bridesmaid never bride at several stops

12. Terry Francona - if he can opt out, seemed to get along well with Victor Martinez

13. Sandy Alomar Jr. - because I saw his name on a list of manager candidates

14. Ozzie Guillen - NO NO NO NO

15. Anyone else?

Maybe we can pare this list back for an actual poll.

I have been thinking the same thing. Previuosly I thought I lot of the recent moves, I'm speaking prior to the Dombrowski release, were being made by Chris Illitch trying to get a handle on expenses vs. profitability of the team.

Now, things are starting to look like it's an impulsive, eccentric old man calling the shots and nobody has the heart to reel him in. I understand this though, when people get old and start to speak and act impulsively, out of respect it 's hard to chastise them.

What if this isn't Ilitch at all, but rather Al being a terrible GM already?

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 3m3 minutes ago

#Tigers officials flew to SD to meet with Renteria, who was recovering from hip surgery at time. Managed in MIA system when Avila was there.

Two likely candidates for #Tigers if Ausmus is out. 1. Gardenhire, who is close with Leyland. 2. Rick Renteria, who interviewed last time.

What if this isn't Ilitch at all, but rather Al being a terrible GM already?

His moves so far:

Signing 39 year old pitcher

DFA Fields

Firing Ausmus?

Future moves?

Resigning Alex Avila?

Has he made any other moves?

#Tigers officials flew to SD to meet with Renteria, who was recovering from hip surgery at time. Managed in MIA system when Avila was there.

Two likely candidates for #Tigers if Ausmus is out. 1. Gardenhire, who is close with Leyland. 2. Rick Renteria, who interviewed last time.

Best part of this...invalidates the DSR trolls and Bernie

Who knows... maybe it's all worked out already and Brad knows and he's already going to SD next year so everybody's just doing their job until the season's over...

Best part of this...invalidates the DSR trolls and Bernie

Rosenthal is referring to the previous manager search two years ago.

Doesn't invalidate anything.

So it is just a rumor...anyone who says "how can they announce this and not fire him?"