ROMAD1

Why not hire Gardenhire?

Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ron Gardenhire be the next Tigers manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if all better options are exhausted (explain)

Because he is a ****ty manager.

Or are we hiring him to be a garden gnome? If so, then yes.

Would we have to give a low level prospect to Travelocity in that case?

Because he is busy doing Travelocity commercials and isn't a very good manager. And yes, I do know that he sent Inge a bottle of champagne once.

I realize that nobody is obligated to provide evidence for their assertions. Might help the discerning reader if you did.

I think he can be a good manager in the right situation. The Twins team and ballpark were perfectly designed for small ball. The Tigers are not, so I could see him having the same kinds of problems that Ausmus is having trying to force them to be a running team. Then again, I'm a big believer that managers don't matter too much and that players win games, so I won't get upset too much either way.

And doesn't handle young players well. If people don't like paint by numbers Ausmus, they will really hate Gardy. He is all old school rhetoric in an overweight garden gnome. Just how I see it in the land of Twinkies. It wasn't a surprise when he was fired, and there wasn't fan outrage when it happened either.

I think he was trying to play to the strength of the team he had been given. I've seen the Twins play the Tigers too many times IMO, but I can't ever remember seeing Mauer or Morneau laying down a bunt when they were in their prime.

Consenquently, I think there is absolutely no chance you see Gardenhire calling for a bunt with Cabrera, or the Martinez'z at the plate and little to no chance you see him calling for a hit and run with Cabrera or V-mart on 1st.

I think he is flexible and smart enough to play to the strengths the team he is given

And doesn't handle young players well. If people don't like paint by numbers Ausmus, they will really hate Gardy. He is all old school rhetoric in an overweight garden gnome. Just how I see it in the land of Twinkies. It wasn't a surprise when he was fired, and there wasn't fan outrage when it happened either.

I discount the idea that a manager who coordinates the activities of a .2 billion payroll is insignificant over the course of a season that runs from February to mid-October. The difference between a John Lucas and a Lucian Truscott or a George McClellan and a William Tecumsah Sherman is not insignificant.

However, if you say that he's bad with young players and that you had the chance to observe that from up in the MSP area...i'll buy that.

I would wonder what Jack Morris or others who had direct observation of good managers like Sparky and Gardy would say about him.

The 2014 twins only attempted 34 sacrifice bunts.

The 2014 rays attempted 70.

The 2014 tigers attempted 40.

I think he was trying to play to the strength of the team he had been given. I've seen the Twins play the Tigers too many times IMO, but I can't ever remember seeing Mauer or Morneau laying down a bunt when they were in their prime.

Consenquently, I think there is absolutely no chance you see Gardenhire calling for a bunt with Cabrera, or the Martinez'z at the plate and little to no chance you see him calling for a hit and run with Cabrera or V-mart on 1st.

I think he is flexible and smart enough to play to the strengths the team he is given

I agree with this but you have to remember that the majority of this board despises bunting in any situation ever.

What qualifies as a young player and what exactly did he do that qualifies as not handling them well?

I think ausmus is a bad manager. I think he's shown multiple times that he is in over his head. It appears that he is not in control of the clubhouse.

I don't think gardenhire is a "good" manager necessarily, but I think he's a not bad manager so I'd be fine with hiring him. He did win quite a bit prior to his final three seasons so we know he can handle a talented team. I also think he would command respect in the clubhouse from the veterans, the same way it seemed that leyland did when he came in.

I don't know. There is something about having a manager with a long track record and an extended period of proven success.

At least it feels like he won't screw it up. I don't know if I can say the same thing about a rookie manager or a guy with a couple years of experience.

However, if you say that he's bad with young players and that you had the chance to observe that from up in the MSP area...i'll buy that.

It's secondary observation, as I heard it from my Twins fan friends for years. He seemed to like to throw Hicks under the bus continually in the media. He seems to be a guy like Leyland wrt to veteran players though. I remember a bit of friction when Gomez was here, and would have some concern about a Gardy/Iglesias relationship. To be honest though, I would take any manager that just doesn't do stupid **** on a nightly basis at this point.

I don't know enough about either of these guys, but...

How would you compare Gardenhire with Manny Acta?

I just liked the sound of Acta being favorable to analytics and his earlier losing teams being mainly a function of really crappy rosters...

Any opinions?

I agree with this but you have to remember that the majority of this board despises bunting in any situation ever.

Most situations.

I think Gardenhire is a bad manager

However, he's better than Ausmus

However, I don't want to look at his fat red alcoholic jowls all season

so I'm not in favor of this move

I discount the idea that a manager who coordinates the activities of a .2 billion payroll is insignificant over the course of a season

I would argue that the the players making the .2 billion coordinate most of their own activities. I wouldn't say a managers role is insignificant, just less significant than a lot of fans make it out to be.

There's a classic .gif of Ron Gardenhire calling for a bunt in every situation mixed in with pictures of the Khmer Rouge and various other worldwide atrocities. It's all I can picture in my head thinking of him as the Tigers manager

There's a classic .gif of Ron Gardenhire calling for a bunt in every situation mixed in with pictures of the Khmer Rouge and various other worldwide atrocities. It's all I can picture in my head thinking of him as the Tigers manager

That sounds hilarious in a 4chan sort of way

I think Gardenhire is a bad manager

However, he's better than Ausmus

However, I don't want to look at his fat red alcoholic jowls all season

so I'm not in favor of this move

Yeah, he would be tough to look at, but no more difficult than listening to Allen and Impemba. The radio is good.

If Gardenhire is the guy Avila wants after a full on search and multi-candidate interview process, I'd be fine with it. Clint Hurdle was a Gardy-like retread before coming to the Pirates and was then reborn, under Huntington as a progressive/analytic friendly guy. I think Gardenhire can do the clubhouse leadership/commanding respect thing fine, if he can adapt to the times and what we hope is a more analytic-friendly team under Avila, maybe he can be the next Hurdle.

What makes me uncomfortable are the rumors that how he is an Illitch favorite and his hire being such a foregone conclusion that talks are already underway. This is not a Joe Madden situation and I really hope the rumors treating it like one are BS.