Shinma

9/13/15. Lions at Chargers. Week 1.

35-17 Lions

Eric Ebron is the headline.

I just saw that SD only gave up two TDs to tight ends all of last season, so it might be tough sledding for him Sunday.

They're pretty good vs. the pass,though probably not elite. They should definitely be a team we can run on. That could be the key to this game.

Just like you said michigan was going to blowout utah and you couldnt understand how anyone would think otherwise?

Still hard to believe, right?

You know me, bullishly optimistic til the end. But serious talk, Lions are going to win. Sucks that Levy is out, easy to concede that is a big loss. Offense needs to have a big game and win the opener on the road. Stafford needs to step up, make the throws that are the there and continue to limit the TO's. Go get it.

Levy,Waddle,Warford,Ebron and Reid all dealing with injury and not practicing. Not a great sign. We can probably live without all in this particular game, but it won't make things easier.

Still hard to believe, right?

You know me, bullishly optimistic til the end. But serious talk, Lions are going to win. Sucks that Levy is out, easy to concede that is a big loss. Offense needs to have a big game and win the opener on the road. Stafford needs to step up, make the throws that are the there and continue to limit the TO's. Go get it.

Is Levy actually out for Sunday? I know he's nicked up

Birkett seems to have some conflicting news:

Dave Birkett

‏@davebirkett

To calm everyone's fears on Levy: I'm told his hip is improving, no surgery necessary and he's run without setbacks this week.

Report: Lions' DeAndre Levy out against Chargers, has 'possible internal damage' | MLive.com

Detroit Lions linebacker DeAndre Levy won't play in the season opener against the San Diego Chargers, and he could be headed for surgery.

Optimism dwindling. I thought the defense would struggle even healthy but with Ngata still not 100% in all likelihood, Reid nicked up and Levy looking to miss substantial time, the D is going to get torched this season. Better hope for the offense to put up 30 ppg or we'll be talking draft halfway through the season.

Levy,Waddle,Warford,Ebron and Reid all dealing with injury and not practicing. Not a great sign. We can probably live without all in this particular game, but it won't make things easier.

Do you think the chargers suck or that the lions are so talented that missing four starters and a key reserve makes no difference.

Do you think the chargers suck or that the lions are so talented that missing four starters and a key reserve makes no difference.

I mean, lets be clear that I said "we can probably live without all in this particular game", not "we're going to go out there and whoop their *** no matter what" first and foremost.

We're going out west and the Chargers are a decent team. They can certainly beat us. That said, I think we are probably still more talented than them even without those players. Our depth at the particular positions helps. Seems like 4/5 have a shot to play as well. It would be nice to have Waddle and Reid particularly IMO.

QB - Rivers/Stafford - I'd call it a wash

RB - Similar trios here. Stud rookie, veteran grinder(Joique probably the better of the 2) and smallish pass catching 3rd down guy.

WR - We are better.

TE - Without Gates, I probably give it to us even without Ebron.

OL - Both have some issues. THeir right side struggles to pass block a lot. Due to our health I call it a wash.

Run D - They weren't particularly good here last year and I still think we are damn good here. Even if Ngata drops off a decent amount, he's likely at the least a stud run stuffing NT and Tulloch is back. Bynes can play the run if nothing else as a Levy fill in and we play 2 LBs a ton.

Pass D - They probably get the edge here,as they were pretty strong here last year. Their CBs are quite small which Calvin should be able to take advantage of though. I'm not quite sure what to think of ours, but we have some elite talents in this department with Quin,Slay and Ansah IMO. Mathis not falling apart and Wilson handling the nickel job will be key, as well as pass rush from the other DL spots.

So its close IMO. I think we run on them and stop their run, we both probably pass on each other a similar amount. Could come down to the TO battle or having the ball last. My general feeling about this season is that our offense will feast on any non- elite D it faces and that's what I see in SD. I'm just not sure they can keep up,as their pass catchers are less than impressive to me. As long as Slay takes Allen away we should be fine. I don't think Mathis will let Floyd beat him deep.

For San Diego's TE situation, I think their backup Green is still being treated for a concussion. Their third stringer doesn't look like he's played in a game since 2012. He should catch 3 TD's against the Lions I imagine.

I mean, lets be clear that I said "we can probably live without all in this particular game", not "we're going to go out there and whoop their *** no matter what" first and foremost.

We're going out west and the Chargers are a decent team. They can certainly beat us. That said, I think we are probably still more talented than them even without those players. Our depth at the particular positions helps. Seems like 4/5 have a shot to play as well. It would be nice to have Waddle and Reid particularly IMO.

RB - Similar trios here. Stud rookie, veteran grinder(Joique probably the better of the 2) and smallish pass catching 3rd down guy.

WR - We are better.

OL - Both have some issues. THeir right side struggles to pass block a lot. Due to our health I call it a wash.

Run D - They weren't particularly good here last year and I still think we are damn good here. Even if Ngata drops off a decent amount, he's likely at the least a stud run stuffing NT and Tulloch is back. Bynes can play the run if nothing else as a Levy fill in and we play 2 LBs a ton.

Pass D - They probably get the edge here,as they were pretty strong here last year. Their CBs are quite small which Calvin should be able to take advantage of though. I'm not quite sure what to think of ours, but we have some elite talents in this department with Quin,Slay and Ansah IMO. Mathis not falling apart and Wilson handling the nickel job will be key, as well as pass rush from the other DL spots.

So its close IMO. I think we run on them and stop their run, we both probably pass on each other a similar amount. Could come down to the TO battle or having the ball last. My general feeling about this season is that our offense will feast on any non- elite D it faces and that's what I see in SD. I'm just not sure they can keep up,as their pass catchers are less than impressive to me. As long as Slay takes Allen away we should be fine. I don't think Mathis will let Floyd beat him deep.

Hopefully, but if its close i would favor the home team. Turnovers will always be the key. To me the key to the season on defense is whether ansah develops into a pass rushing force. If not, the lions are going to have trouble getting to the qb unless they blitz.

Hopefully, but if its close i would favor the home team. Turnovers will always be the key. To me the key to the season on defense is whether ansah develops into a pass rushing force. If not, the lions are going to have trouble getting to the qb unless they blitz.

Completely agreed, particularly on Ansah. I have a lot of faith in him. Taylor and Hunt combining for 8 sacks or so would be really nice as well. I'm actually not overly worried about DT, if Reid can get healthy.

I'm with Nas on that we have good enough depth for this week's current injuries... but it's a bit precarious.

Manny Ramirez will be fine backing up Warford for a week. Not as good, obviously, but good enough.

Same with Lucas covering for Waddle.

But the next injury is what scares me. Reiff or Lucas going down puts Corey Robinson in there, who struggled badly in preseason. Ramirez or Tomlinson or Swanson getting nicked up puts Bond in the game. I know he did well in preseason... but I think regular season game will be a different animal for him.

Until Waddle and Warford come back, I'm worried about the current O-Line depth. Once they're back, I'll breathe easier.

Cornerback depth is a spot that worries me, simply based on Mathis's age. If he's lost for a few games it's a major step-down to the next CB that plays on the outside. At least until Carter is brought up to speed, which might not even happen this year. I'm not worried about the Nickel at all, but Outside CB...?!

I'm not worried about D-Line depth. Same with the LB'ers. Although until Levy gets back, I'm worried at weak-side. And it's a step down from him to Bynes.

Like I said, I don't think it's a worry this game if there are no further injuries. We can even cover Waddle/ Warford/ Reid/ Levy; I'm not worried. Anything more than that, especially the O-Line, gets me started...

WR - We are better.

Wow you call Rivers and Stafford a wash? Stafford is more of a middle tier QB in the NFL. At this point in his career he's not at the level Rivers is – whom I consider top 10

Id give Rivers the nod over Stafford but I think it's close enough that you could call them a wash for a single game, especially since Rivers is without Gates.

Id give Rivers the nod over Stafford but I think it's close enough that you could call them a wash for a single game, especially since Rivers is without Gates.

Pretty much my thoughts. The Sando rankings had them 8th and 12th(and in the same tier), which seems pretty reasonable to me. So ya, you'd have to say Rivers is better, but I think calling it a wash for a one game sample is pretty fair.

Edited by Nastradamus