Shinma

9/13/15. Lions at Chargers. Week 1.

I just think it's a scenario where people would miss him if he was gone, and it is such a team sport, the QB shouldn't always get the blame. The OL struggled, it looked like he and Tate were working from different playbooks a few times as well. Also lets not forget SD ran almost twice as many plays as DET. So it was tough to get any kind of rhythm.

If they get spanked MIN this weekend I will be in panic mode about this team, especially with the games coming up. I am interested to see how they look after the deflating loss.

And hopefully a few of the injured starters can return.

We would only miss him if he were gone and replaced by someone like Dan Orlovsky. Think Packers fans miss Favre now that Rodgers is at the helm, or 49 fans missing Alex Smith now that they got Kaepernick, or Colt's fans missing Manning with Luck around? It is all relative, no one is saying we should cut Stafford and protect the pick with Dan Orlovsky running the team into the ground (and out of the back of the endzone), but that doesn't mean we can't explore some options in the draft and see if we can find someone else who puts us in a better position to win.

We would only miss him if he were gone and replaced by someone like Dan Orlovsky. Think Packers fans miss Favre now that Rodgers is at the helm, or 49 fans missing Alex Smith now that they got Kaepernick, or Colt's fans missing Manning with Luck around? It is all relative, no one is saying we should cut Stafford and protect the pick with Dan Orlovsky running the team into the ground (and out of the back of the endzone), but that doesn't mean we can't explore some options in the draft and see if we can find someone else who puts us in a better position to win.

It's too bad the QB class sucked so bad last draft cause I would've advocated drafting one if a good one fell to us. I mean I don't think the Packers would've taken just anybody in the first round, but Rodgers and Smith were considered to be pretty close going into that draft but somehow Rodgers dropped all the way to them so they had to take him. That's the type of situation where I think the Lions would have to take a QB.

Not enough offensive possessions, too few plays. Basic conclusion - the D needed to get them the ball back more.
Lions had 11 possessions on Sunday, Chargers 12. http://espn.go.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=400791558

NFL average is 12. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64441086/nfl-statistical-analysis-average-nfl-game

The offense had too few plays because they did not execute. Sadly, the defense this year does not look good enough to bail the offense out.

I wouldn't mind if they explored a QB option at the draft but it would have to be in the lower rounds because they're going to need to use the other picks to fill one of the many needs elsewhere especially with a lot of the older players on defense likely moving on after this season.

Also, those other situations aren't remotely similar. Favre was nearing the end of his career, the Colts weren't sure if Manning was ever coming back healthy again plus Luck was a no brainer and Smith was pretty much a bust, a game manager who was expendable. Say what you want about Stafford, and I too have questions about his ability to lead this team to the promised land, but he's the best option they have by far unless they tanked and ended up with a top 3 pick and chose a franchise QB to push him. Think about all the teams that have been looking for even decent QBs for years (Houston, Buffalo, Jets, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Oakland, Minnesota, Waahington and several others). The Lions are actually lucky to have a top 15 QB all things considered.

Edited by NYLion

This is a ridiculous post, but I think you know that and are just being cheeky. I even said in the post I was only taking half of Fluellen's numbers due to the fact that he was a situational player so not sure where you get, "he was apparently better than Suh". He got more pressure at a higher rate (due to smaller sample size) than Suh.

I also don't think it's quite that easy, I don't think that all the players we lost are necessarily interchangeable parts. I think we will be lucky if Walker produces at the same level Fairley did, or if Reid/Wright are able to provide 500+ solid snaps like Mosley did, or if Hunt is able to replicate a 6+ sack/39 total pressure season like Johnson. I don't think any of those scenarios are "sure things" which is what I would expect from someone who was nothing more than an interchangeable part.

Oh no, I understand. However, I think even if the Lions kept all of those guys they'd be far from a sure thing to replicate performance. They played most of their relevant games without Fairley anyway, and Moseley, Fluellen, and Johnson are all guys who seem unlikely to replicate their performance, and two of them drew middling if any interest from other teams.

I just think losing Suh is a game changing thing. It's like if the Seahawks lost Richard Sherman, or the Patriots lost Tom Brady. There are certain players who make an entire offensive or defensive unit more effective simply by existing. He's one of them. That to me was the only big difference from last year. Hunt got a sack, that pretty much filled Johnson's spot. The run defense was 'ok' considering the heat and that they were facing a strong o-line and couldn't stop the pass.

I'm honestly not overly concerned with the pass rush either, sure they weren't getting pressure on Rivers, but that's probably mostly because he was releasing the ball in about 2 seconds in the 2nd half. Almost no team is ever going to get pressure in that situation. They were simply giving up way too many short/wide open passes for the d-line to do anything about it.

Bottom line, you don't get rid of a tier 2 QB unless you have at least another guaranteed tier 2 QB in hand, and more than likely a tier 1 QB. Sure, you can draft guys in the 3rd round and beyond and develop them, hoping they turn in to Wilson or Brady. Nothing wrong with that though.

Its funny how we discuss Stafford, especially in comparison to Rivers having just played him. This is exactly how people talked about Rivers at the same age Stafford is now.

They definitely should draft and develop a backup QB. Who knows what can happen in the future. But right now, Stafford is not the reason the team loses games. This board is ridiculous with that. Defense gets shredded all day, people still blame the guy. He gets blindsided in about a half second after the snap, its his fault. You get my point. It's only been 1 game into this season and people already want him gone. It's crazy to me. They should watch some other NFL games and see what a bad QB really looks like.

Its funny how we discuss Stafford, especially in comparison to Rivers having just played him. This is exactly how people talked about Rivers at the same age Stafford is now.

Hopefully stafford can someday be as good as rivers. Because he's not now.

We all want to see Stafford succeed. You can see the talent. He has a cannon for an arm. He's a likable kid - I'm grateful he's not a total headcase like Cutler. I think most are just frustrated with his accuracy issues, which don't seem to be improving. Rivers was averaging close to 100 QB rating at this point in his career. Stafford is nowhere near that. A career completion % below 60 is pretty shaky for any NFL QB, let alone a #1 pick in the draft. If he could just stop throwing behind his receivers, or at their feet, or over their heads, he'd take his play to the next level. Fingers and toes are crossed hoping he gets there, but one wonders at this point in his career if he'll ever fix his accuracy issues. Every time he drops back to pass he makes me nervous - I don't know if he's going to make a great play or a boneheaded throw

Edited by number20

We all want to see Stafford succeed. You can see the talent. He has a cannon for an arm. He's a likable kid - I'm grateful he's not a total headcase like Cutler. I think most are just frustrated with his accuracy issues, which don't seem to be improving. Rivers was averaging close to 100 QB rating at this point in his career. Stafford is nowhere near that. A career completion % below 60 is a pretty shaky for any NFL QB, let alone a #1 draft pick. If he could just stop throwing behind his receivers, or at their feet, or over their heads, he'd take his play to the next level. Fingers and toes are crossed hoping he gets there, but one wonders at this point in his career if he'll ever fix his accuracy issues. Every time he drops back to pass he makes me nervous - I don't know if he's going to make a great play or a boneheaded throw

Fair, but I still think he can be a damn effective QB without changing his accuracy a ton. He completed 63% last year and his INT% is actually pretty low most of the time. I think Caldwell and Lombardi need to let him cut loose a bit more.

Fair, but I still think he can be a damn effective QB without changing his accuracy a ton. He completed 63% last year and his INT% is actually pretty low most of the time. I think Caldwell and Lombardi need to let him cut loose a bit more.

Agreed - dink and dunk throws are a waste of his talent. I do miss when he used to heave up punts for CJ. However I don't miss when he'd nearly get CJ killed sometimes with his erratic throws

I wonder how people talked about Brees at a younger age when the Chargers were drafting Rivers to replace him.

Right, and every time a team takes a knee to end a half it counts as a possession when calculating the league average too.

The Chargers took a knee to end the game. These things are already factored into the average.

Exactly. Thank you. My point was, simply, that the Lions offense was not efficient with the possessions it had. That's why they only got the ball for something like 22 minutes, and made the defense spend 38 minutes on the field. As many question marks as this year's defense has, no defense will be successful paired with an offense that executes so poorly.

Edited by Jason_R

Exactly. Thank you. My point was, simply, that the Lions offense was not efficient with the possessions it had. That's why they only got the ball for something like 22 minutes, and made the defense spend 38 minutes on the field. As many question marks as this year's defense has, no defense will be successful paired with an offense that executes so poorly.

So the defense couldn't cover a screen pass, cover a crossing route, or tackle anybody, because of the offense? Maybe they were tired, but they played like ****. They have to execute themselves, if they want to be successful.

Can you guys learn how to block quote correctly? Thanks.

Crap like this makes people not want to post at all. Thanks.

Crap like this makes people not want to post at all. Thanks.

That's all it took to make you never post again? Youre welcome.

I'm close to giving up on van noy.

Hard to believe that we've found an area on the Lions that I'm more critical of than you. I gave up on Van Noy this preseason. He was awful. No reason to believe he is any better now. So frustrating.

I give nastro credit, he's a member of the kool aid brigade (kinda sorta but not really) who actually shows up to talk lions after they lose. :)

As a member of the aforementioned brigade, I'm not trying to duck the conversation when I'm wrong -- I often work on Sundays and record the game to watch later. I don't come here until I've watched it, and if we lose, I may need to watch it again to try to understand what caused the loss. I'm too much into it the first time I watch to be sensible. Not sure I made too much sense out of that game -- I kept wondering why we couldn't throw quick slants since they were -- but I did try.