Pulkkinen's Blast

Pre-season

Disappointing, but let's face it, not surprising that Andreas Athanasiou was sent down today.

Yeah, Larkin and Callahan still on the list. I like that. But I swear if Larkin gets sent down to make room for Cleary on the roster, Ken Holland should be fired, and no, I am not kidding. I don't know what the hell is with this Cleary thing. It's very strange. The team should also just flat-out release Franzen. The whole cap thing makes it so ridiculous. That guy is finished. Walk away, Mule.

....and I really want to see how Ericsson looks. He was BRUTAL last year, especially in the 2nd half (as was Kronwall). Then we hear "he was hurt". Well by the second half aren't they all hurt? Ericsson takes up a spot that one of the up and comers could have. It will be interesting to see if Blash takes the shackles off Kindl. Seems to me that when he finally got some time to play late last year, Babcock let him loose a little bit and he played very well. They have a logjam right now in a few spots, I could see a sizable trade coming for a sniper, something they still lack.

Larkin has made the team, Blashill just said this morning.

This has me so hyped!

The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 38s38 seconds ago

Should Dylan Larkin play Friday, he'll be the first #RedWings teenager in 25 years (Mike Sillinger) to make his NHL debut on opening night.

Pretty crazy. I expect Cleary to go on the IR with some random injury (should just read that he's terrible, that last game against the Leafs he was so brutal). Athanasiou should be on the team too. I think I would rather have him on the Wings than someone like Helm even, same speed but better hands/hockey sense/finishing. But like you said not surprising he went down. The Wings future looks exciting, I would love to have that Bertuzzi - Athanasiou - Mantha line in the NHL right now even.

I watched 5 minutes of Wings-Leafs on Saturday. Is it my imagination or are the names on the Wings jerseys in a different font this year?

Ok, thanks. I attended a Habs-Wings pre-season game at the Joe about 5 years ago and the 1st half of a Lions pre-season game at Ford Field a couple of years ago. Other than that, i don't think I've watched more than 2 hours total of exhibition games of any of the sports since the '90s.

Pretty sure practice lines were

Larkin-Zetterberg-Abdelkader

Franzen-Sheahan-Nyquist

Tatar-Richards-Jurco

Miller-Glendening-Andersson

Love it so much. Not shocked Pulkkinen is in the box for game1. He'll get his chances. Finally a scoring third line. Richards and Tats had chemistry. Gus can be the puck mover. Larkin and Abby are the wheels and grit for Z. Hopefully Z eventually moves to the wing.

TSN Top 50 Players

Crosby No. 1 for sixth straight year on TSN's Top 50 list - Article - TSN

Datsyuk down to 23 from 17 last year.

Zetterberg down to 47 from 27 last year, the biggest drop on the list

I can't argue with either, given injuries of the past couple of years.

Too high, IMO: Crosby, Toews, Benn, Bergeron, T.Johnson, Pavelski, Quick, McDavid,

Too low, IMO: Ovechkin, Malkin, Nash, H.Sedin

Toews is a generational overrated player. My god. Sergei Fedorov and Pavel Datsyuk are winners, better two-way players. Toews' only PPG season is the lockout while playing with Kane/Hossa at all times with Saad or Sharp on the opposite wing.

Disagree with you on Sid being overrated. Another similar season by Price and he may be #1 though

I'm not a Sid-hater by any means. I think he is the best player of this generation. But THN has named him #1 for, I believe, 7 straight years. He wasn't the #1 player in the NHL last year and given his injury history I'm not certain he will be the best player this year. I felt this year would have been a good chance to bump him down to #2 or #3 behind Price and/or Ovechkin.

Not disagreeing with the suspension or trying to justify Raffi's actions, but Silfverberg needs to have his head up as well as move that puck a hell of a lot faster than he did in the future or he is going to continue to be blown up.

Did anyone hear the interview this morning with Henrik Zetterberg on 97.1? I know it goes along with what he said previously about Babs needing a fresh start and so did the players, but it sounds like he realllly did not like the guy. I was kind of shocked considering how polite and reserved Hank is.

The plan all along was to send Cleary to Grand Rapids. He was placed on waivers with the intent of sending him to GR where his salary wouldn't count towards the cap. The only reason to be happy is if by some miracle some other team claims him and he was actually gone for good.

Dan Cleary, thanks for your service and your efforts in helping the Red Wings win a Stanley Cup - 7 YEARS AGO. Enjoy the money the Wings are gifting you and good luck coaching (Actually, I think he'll make a good coach).

His goal against Anaheim won bone of the tightest and most tense 7-game series I can recall. But he hasn't been useful in years and I'm not even sure he's that nice of a person or that smart.