Pulkkinen's Blast

Pre-season

Couple weeks away. Anything you guys want to see?

Personally,

Nick Jensen playing often. Last year he was the best kid in preseason. He was the #1 defenseman in Grand Rapids and has leaped Ryan Sproul. Want to see more of him against NHL talent.

Thomas McCollum getting games. Goalies come up later. McCollum has gotten better and again seeing if he has an NHL future is something that is needed. Also of course have to see who the starter is.

Dylan Larkin playing an energy role (could see him on the fourth line in the playoffs for this year) and with talent. Prefer him a year in the AHL developing his offensive game but checking out his ability to come up now in a defensive role is possible, specifically in the playoffs like Helm in the past.

Overall finding some line combinations which needs to help the third line which has been pretty medicore for years besides some stretches. Need a consistent third line. Pulkkinen and Jurco need to step up.

Zetterberg on the wing each game. Time for him to play there every single game. Not huge on him in the middle, controlling the play as I think he at times slows down the offense trying to do too much and slowing down the pace of Gus for example

Personally for the first two games maybe

Gustav Nyquist-Riley Sheahan-Tomas Jurco

Darren Helm-Joakim Andersson-Tomas Tatar

Tyler Bertuzzi-Luke Glendening-Mitch Callahan

Tomas Nosek-Andy Miele-Mark Zengerle

Danny DeKeyser-Mike Green

Brendan Smith-Nick Jensen

Xavier Ouellet-Ryan Sproul

Petr Mrazek

Tom McCollum

Henrik Zetterberg-Brad Richards-Justin Abdelkader

Drew Miller-Dylan Larkin-Teemu Pulkkinen

Dan Cleary-AA-Anthony Mantha

Marek Trvdon-Landon Ferraro-Martin Frk

Nikas Kronwall-Jonathan Ericsson

Kyle Quincey-Alexey Marchenko

Jakub Kindl-Robbie Russo

Jimmy Howard

Tom McCollum

-Usually odd lines, some responsible forwards mixed around. Looking at lines that are wanted in the regular season. Seeing prospects.

I'd love to see Sproul get an opportunity in the pre season, he hasn't been given a great chance, and could be a nice addition as a big right handed shot on the pp.

I'd love to see Sproul get an opportunity in the pre season, he hasn't been given a great chance, and could be a nice addition as a big right handed shot on the pp.

I think that's his own doing, he hasn't been very good in Grand Rapids.

Jensen is in a tough spot.

The established guys are

Green, Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Quincey and Smith and then ahead of him on the depth chart are Kindl, Ouellet, Marchenko.

I would be glad to see Ericsson and Smith out of the picture in a trade because Marchenko, Ouellet and Jensen really don't have much more to gain playing in Grand Rapids.

Have any of you ever gone up to Traverse City in September.? My uncle and I are seriously thinking of doing so next year. Good mix of prospects and NHLers in action up close.

DRW Training Camp

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0079/0393/2015_DRW_Ticket_Order_Form_Fax_Sale.pdf

Never. Some legit prospects playing so it could definitely be neat. I think it's like ten bucks a day for all games.

Jensen is in a tough spot.

The established guys are

Green, Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Quincey and Smith and then ahead of him on the depth chart are Kindl, Ouellet, Marchenko.

I would be glad to see Ericsson and Smith out of the picture in a trade because Marchenko, Ouellet and Jensen really don't have much more to gain playing in Grand Rapids.

See I agree. The feeling is Marchy and Ouellet have a higher ceiling, and there's already 7 NHL 1-way deals at the moment. Nick Jensen looked somewhat NHL ready last year. His skating alone should get him in the NHL.

I think that's his own doing, he hasn't been very good in Grand Rapids.

This, and add on how Grand Rapids looks loaded again on the backend. With 7 defenseman up already, which isn't including Marchenko and Ouellet GR is looking like

Nick Jensen

Nathan Paetsch

Xavier Ouellet

Alexey Marchenko

Robbie Russo (anyone ever watch him?)

Brennan Evans

Brian Lashoff

Ryan Sproul

Russo intrigues me, mostly because he's new but the reports seem good.

Everyone seems to overrate their prospects and think they're the best and can do a better job right now. I mean in 13/14 I heard all about how Landon Ferraro could come up and out perform Drew Miller. Miller, an elite PKer where Landon looked awful that season.

I try not to fall crazy with prospects. I've never watched Robbie Russo, but his numbers are truly something.

22 years old.

RHD

PPG for Notre Dame

Captain

Why wouldn't the Islanders re-sign this guy? I really can't figure that out whatsoever. I can't wait to read about him at the Traverse tournament.

Team Delvecchio

Helm - Richards - Franzen

Nosek - Sheahan - Tatar

Marsh - Glendening - Nastasiuk

Tangradi - Zengerle - Verrier

(Campbell, Datsyuk inj.)

DeKeyser - Green

Lashoff - Sproul

Nedomlel - Sczarnowczan

Stanton - Nightingale

Mrazek

(Mancina)

--------------------------------------

Team Howe

Jurco - Miele - Pulkkinen

Mantha - Larkin - Callahan

Bertuzzi - Athanasiou - Svechnikov

Tvrdon - Turgeon - Cleary

Rechlicz

Quincey - Ouellet

Kindl - Russo

Paetsch - Jensen

Prochno - Lemcke

McCollum

Coreau

Ingram

---------------------

Team Lindsay

Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Miller - Andersson - Ferraro

Hoggan - Etchegary - Frk

McGlynn - Aubry - Betz

(Polei, Grant inj.)

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Marchenko

Hicketts - Saarijärvi

Meyer - Chatfield

Howard

Paterson

Team Delvecchio

Helm - Richards - Franzen

Nosek - Sheahan - Tatar

Marsh - Glendening - Nastasiuk

Tangradi - Zengerle - Verrier

(Campbell' date=' Datsyuk inj.)

DeKeyser - Green

Lashoff - Sproul

Nedomlel - Sczarnowczan

Stanton - Nightingale

Mrazek

(Mancina)

--------------------------------------

Team Howe

Jurco - Miele - Pulkkinen

Mantha - Larkin - Callahan

Bertuzzi - Athanasiou - Svechnikov

Tvrdon - Turgeon - Cleary

Rechlicz

Quincey - Ouellet

Kindl - Russo

Paetsch - Jensen

Prochno - Lemcke

McCollum

Coreau

Ingram

---------------------

Team Lindsay

Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Miller - Andersson - Ferraro

Hoggan - Etchegary - Frk

McGlynn - Aubry - Betz

(Polei, Grant inj.)

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Marchenko

Hicketts - Saarijärvi

Meyer - Chatfield

Howard

Paterson[/quote']

Interesting to me.

Zetterberg skating at centre.

Team Howe having 2 regulars (Jurco/Quincey), all kids, worst of the three goalies, bad defense

Nosek could be last year's Nesty. I've been super impressed with him

Saw a TSN I believe it's point predictions for the top 300 scorers this year. Larkin made the list at 70GP 30P~

If Z's in the middle, Abby and Nyquist make sense. Starting the year out with this looks cool

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco/Pulkkinen

Helm-Richards-Franzen

Helm separated his shoulder on the first day of practice. Also going trough concussion protocols. Why don't they just keep him in bubble wrap until the season starts?

I wonder if he's going to hang out with Reggie Bush while he's rehabbing.

Helm separated his shoulder on the first day of practice. Also going trough concussion protocols. Why don't they just keep him in bubble wrap until the season starts?

I wonder if he's going to hang out with Reggie Bush while he's rehabbing.

He generally always comes into the season with an injury. Kind of mentioned the possibility of Larkin making the team with Helm becoming injured, which he surely did a week later.

I'm really thinking Larkin has a chance of grabbing that #3C spot.

Gus-Z-A

Jurco-Richards-Tats (apparently this line was awesome) but Sheahan where Jurco is for defensive purposes)

Jurco-Larkin-Franzen

Miller-Glendening-Pookie

Only saw highlights of the game last night, Mantha looked good on his goal. Dug the puck out of the corner, made a move on a forward near the blueline and dropped the puck back to his point. He then floated unseen into the slot and ripped a one timer. I'm also surprised the Wings took the Hawks to OT, it was basically the Griffins + Wings grinders vs. the Hawks.

Really impressed with the young talent. Larkin looked great last night, that whole line looks like its ready to play (Pulk/Larkin/Bertuzzi) on a top line for the Wings. I wonder what the Wings could get for Pavel this year, because Larkin looks so good. They need to move whatever they need to do to keep him up in Detroit. I thought Sproul had a decent game against the Penguins. He needs to shoot more, especially on pp.

Really impressed with the young talent. Larkin looked great last night, that whole line looks like its ready to play (Pulk/Larkin/Bertuzzi) on a top line for the Wings. I wonder what the Wings could get for Pavel this year, because Larkin looks so good. They need to move whatever they need to do to keep him up in Detroit. I thought Sproul had a decent game against the Penguins. He needs to shoot more, especially on pp.

Red Wing prospects generally do not start the season with the team. They seem to come up, are too good to send back down and kind of stay up from there. It's happened to Petr Mrazek, Riley Sheahan and Tomas Jurco in particular, Gustav Nyquist really, etc. Tomas Tatar and Teemu Pulkkinen were up through stretches, out of waivers. Luke Glendening and Joakim Andersson are others that come to mind.

All of these players would have to go on waivers. Here's your top nine talent

Henrik Zetterberg

Justin Abdelkader

Pavel Datsyuk

Brad Richards

Johan Franzen

Tomas Tatar

Gus Nyquist

Teemu Pulkkinen

Riley Sheahan

Darren Helm

Tomas Jurco

Bottom line

Luke Glendening

Joakim Andersson

Landon Ferraro

Drew Miller

Dan Cleary (likely waivers - GR vet)

Who do you move? I think Helm and Abby are expiring. 100% want Abby back. Richards too. Mule's almost done. Larkin is capable of a fourth line role (more to be honest) but I see zero issue with him starting with big minutes in Grand Rapids and coming up for stretches and playing that too good to return role. He still has an offensive game to continue to develop to a higher level, and Grand Rapids is probably the best development team. NHL caliber head coach who brought out the best in Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins etc.

If there's a fourth line role, I like Tomas Nosek. He looks NHL ready as well. Some can play in the NHL (Ouellet/Marchenko/Nosek/Larkin) and some are just plain completely ready. I don't see an overdone. I really think Nick Jensen should be in the NHL. He's turning like 26 this pro-season, and has elite skating and has been the best of the kids in preseason and training camp for two straight years. He was the #1 defenseman in Grand Rapids but the believe is, Marchenko and Hamhuis have a higher ceiling than Jensen which I don't really disagree with.

Ouellet I think could turn into a poor man's Dan Hamhuis without the great skating.

Marchenko I'm not really sure. I honestly don't know how much better he gets.

Jensen can make the NHL on his skating and IQ. He's the most ready for an NHL role.

Not sure I see a top pairing guy.

Start Larkin in Grand Rapids.

Waive Cleary.

Only saw highlights of the game last night, Mantha looked good on his goal. Dug the puck out of the corner, made a move on a forward near the blueline and dropped the puck back to his point. He then floated unseen into the slot and ripped a one timer. I'm also surprised the Wings took the Hawks to OT, it was basically the Griffins + Wings grinders vs. the Hawks.

Anthony Mantha seems to have struggled coming into each level before exploding. He is so fast for his size. I think he destroys the AHL this season and we end up thinking the same thing as Larkin.

My call-ups in order would be

Dylan Larkin

Tomas Nosek

Anthony Mantha

AA Greek

Mitch Callahan (assuming he passes waives which he should)

Tyler Bertuzzi

t

Defense does seem to be their main concern. Many things have to work in their favor for it to be an effective group.

I disagree. I think with Green they will play more in the offensive zone. I think the Wings had to play too much defense (in their own zone) the past two years.

Anthony Mantha seems to have struggled coming into each level before exploding. He is so fast for his size. I think he destroys the AHL this season and we end up thinking the same thing as Larkin.

My call-ups in order would be

Dylan Larkin

Tomas Nosek

Anthony Mantha

AA Greek

Mitch Callahan (assuming he passes waives which he should)

Tyler Bertuzzi

t

After last night AA is my second call up (first if Larkin makes the team obviously), the kid looks like a stud. I almost wish the Wings had a crappy roster because a lot of the young guys looked like they can hack it in the NHL and be exciting.

Defense does seem to be their main concern. Many things have to work in their favor for it to be an effective group.

I would have been interested in signing Cody Franson given how long he hung around. He would have been an upgrade if the Wings in exchange would have been able to dump the salary/roster spot of any of Smith, Quincey or even Ericsson to make room.

TSN Top 50 Players

Crosby No. 1 for sixth straight year on TSN's Top 50 list - Article - TSN

Datsyuk down to 23 from 17 last year.

Zetterberg down to 47 from 27 last year, the biggest drop on the list

I can't argue with either, given injuries of the past couple of years.

Too high, IMO: Crosby, Toews, Benn, Bergeron, T.Johnson, Pavelski, Quick, McDavid,

Too low, IMO: Ovechkin, Malkin, Nash, H.Sedin

This will give one of the GR prospects a chance to show their stuff in October

INJURY UPDATE: Per Ken Holland; Danny DeKeyser will miss 3-4 weeks with a sprained ligament in his left foot. #RedWings