belcherboy

My thoughts after game #1

I felt Michigan was in the game until the missed onside kick.

Even when they were down 2 touchdowns a couple times I felt they had a chance with Harbaugh coaching.

Utah almost never loses at home.

The INT that gave Utah their last points was the biggest mistake.

I doubt this will happen again. This has to be Michigan's worst game of the year.

I think the home crowd in Ann Arbor will be huge. That should propel them to beat BYU as I think Oregon State and UNLV should be somewhat easy wins.

A few wins will give the players the confidence. Harbaugh was good about not acting like a loss to Utah was the end of the world. I don't think anyone will win in Utah this year.

BYU could prove tricky if they have sustained success post the Nebraska upset.

OR, Nebraska is horrible this year and BYU is still bad.

BYU could prove tricky if they have sustained success post the Nebraska upset.

OR, Nebraska is horrible this year and BYU is still bad.

BYU's starting QB and numerous other players are out injured, should help alot

Lots of ground being covered here. Just a few thoughts about Utah, personnel, and the rest of the games going forward.

--While some players in Michigan's last few classes may have been overrated, this team has plenty of talent. Whiffing with high 4 and 5* prospects like Morris, Green, Bosch and others really stings. It is quite possible that none of these three players will ever be good enough to start for a top25 program, and also possible that Morris and Green will join Bosch in transferring to a new school. Attrition is part of the game, indeed, and we will see more Hoke commits before long.

--Utah had a ton of sacks last year and our OL surrendered zero sacks. That's a big deal. The run game suffered from the lack of push from our OG tandem, as well as Smith's absolute lack of vision. There is a reason Drake Johnson turned so many heads last year, and a reason why many of us can't wait to see him back. Isaac could be a major factor by the end of the year, if he can stay healthy, but he must pick up pass pro way better. He makes Smith look like Jerrod Bunch in that regard . . . well, Smith is actually like Bunch in a lot of ways. Bottom line, Michigan's OG situation needs to improve (Dawson needs to start for sure IMO) or this team may very well end up 8-4.

--Ruddock is a game manager, period. If you ask him to win the game for you, he lacks the athleticism, ability to throw on the run and deep ball ability to do a whole lot on his own. The three INT game is, IMO, an outlier. Ruddock didn't have all spring to work with the receivers, which is kind of a big deal for a guy who lacks elite tools. But I would take him every day of the week over Morris, who throws hard but lacks touch (and a lot of other things elite 11 QB are supposed to have). It has been said that one QB has been actively talking transfer, we'll see soon enough if it is Morris, Speight or Malzone. Gentry decomitted from Texas to come here, so I think he sticks it out to the end with the easy redshirt year to start. Being a high GPA kid, I think he wants a top-notch degree or else he could have played immediately someplace like Kansas or lesser. With O'Korn almost certain to start in 16 and 17, somebody will leave. Just as certain, Ruddock will only get demoted if he completely tanks the next few games--which nobody should really expect.

--The defense, as a whole, was very good. The secondary group will be amongst the best in the country by season's end, as their collective speed confined Utah to a 15-yard field. Watch for Peppers to become an Ian Gold type rover as the season rolls on. In doing shortening the field, Morgan and Bolden were exposed as the poor coverage LBs they are. Expect a platoon there by conference play. They filled and shed just ok, and were helped by Peppers' run support. The DL was solid, especially considering the absence of Mone. This group has a little depth, and that keeps fresh legs on the field.

--The Aussie kid can really kick, we're lucky to have him this year. Our PK situation isn't quite as ready to go, all these guys are a work in progress but let's hope it isn't 2010 all over again. Yikes.

--The receivers are a bit of a mixed bag this season, but overall it is a better situation at the position than in recent history. Darboh and Chesson aren't burners, but rather traditional West Coast Offense outside receivers. They are big, physical targets that can run just enough to be respected. Drake Harris, Brian Cole and Grant Perry have more talent than their older counterparts and they'll get their chance to contribute as the season unfolds. Word is that rumors of Canteen's demise were exaggerated, we'll see. Does anything really need to be said about Butt? Protypical pass-catching TE about sums it up.

--Expectations were all over the map with this year's team, and they still are. Saturday will tell us more, but what we know is this year's team played an experienced team rated just outside of the Top 25 very tough on the road. Oregon State is under a new coach as well, and is ripe to be beaten soundly. Oh, and what about our new coach? I don't think you'll have to worry about the guy who won NCAA and NFL COY in successive years.

This is a flawed team, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good team.

I'm all for giving him a chance to succeed here, but why wouldn't we talk about making a change? (and I hope Michigan's staff is discussing it as well) How much time do you give Rudock? The difference between a "free agent in the pros" is that we can keep the free agent for many years to come if we want. We don't have the option with Rudock. I'm not saying we need to demote him yet, but if he gives another below average performance and shows signs of struggling early in the next few games, why wouldn't you begin investing game time in the guys that will be here next year at QB?

If Rudock was the clear winner in camp, which I believe he was, who else do you play over him? Please don't tell me Morris. I trust JH's judgment here, you should too. It's been one game, they lost by one TD on the road to a pretty good school. They will improve. IMO a Hoke-lead team would have lost that game by 3 td's or more. UM finally has a good coaching staff, give them time.

I'm all for giving him a chance to succeed here, but why wouldn't we talk about making a change? (and I hope Michigan's staff is discussing it as well) How much time do you give Rudock? The difference between a "free agent in the pros" is that we can keep the free agent for many years to come if we want. We don't have the option with Rudock. I'm not saying we need to demote him yet, but if he gives another below average performance and shows signs of struggling early in the next few games, why wouldn't you begin investing game time in the guys that will be here next year at QB?

O'Korn will be QB next year i'd bet. Trouble is he cant suit up right now. No one else worth playing. Morris is a lost cause, and why burn the red shirts on Malzone or Gentry when you have a perfect transitional QB in Rudock?

O'Korn will be QB next year i'd bet. Trouble is he cant suit up right now. No one else worth playing. Morris is a lost cause, and why burn the red shirts on Malzone or Gentry when you have a perfect transitional QB in Rudock?

If Smith either gets better (doubtful) or is replaced by a better performing runner that will be half the battle for Rudock. He was accurate with the short and intermediate throws, didn't give up the ball or yards in the backfield. JH even defended the first of the long throws as on the money if the receiver doesn't slow down after the ball went up (which on the replay did appear pretty obvious). The other thing that has not been critiqued much is that JH was pretty much stuck in run mode on 1st down. That's OK 1st time out of the gate I guess, but this team certainly doesn't yet have the OL line you need to run successfully on 1st down if they don't mix it up a little more.

Lots of ground being covered here. Just a few thoughts about Utah, personnel, and the rest of the games going forward.

--While some players in Michigan's last few classes may have been overrated, this team has plenty of talent. Whiffing with high 4 and 5* prospects like Morris, Green, Bosch and others really stings. It is quite possible that none of these three players will ever be good enough to start for a top25 program, and also possible that Morris and Green will join Bosch in transferring to a new school. Attrition is part of the game, indeed, and we will see more Hoke commits before long.

--Utah had a ton of sacks last year and our OL surrendered zero sacks. That's a big deal. The run game suffered from the lack of push from our OG tandem, as well as Smith's absolute lack of vision. There is a reason Drake Johnson turned so many heads last year, and a reason why many of us can't wait to see him back. Isaac could be a major factor by the end of the year, if he can stay healthy, but he must pick up pass pro way better. He makes Smith look like Jerrod Bunch in that regard . . . well, Smith is actually like Bunch in a lot of ways. Bottom line, Michigan's OG situation needs to improve (Dawson needs to start for sure IMO) or this team may very well end up 8-4.

--Ruddock is a game manager, period. If you ask him to win the game for you, he lacks the athleticism, ability to throw on the run and deep ball ability to do a whole lot on his own. The three INT game is, IMO, an outlier. Ruddock didn't have all spring to work with the receivers, which is kind of a big deal for a guy who lacks elite tools. But I would take him every day of the week over Morris, who throws hard but lacks touch (and a lot of other things elite 11 QB are supposed to have). It has been said that one QB has been actively talking transfer, we'll see soon enough if it is Morris, Speight or Malzone. Gentry decomitted from Texas to come here, so I think he sticks it out to the end with the easy redshirt year to start. Being a high GPA kid, I think he wants a top-notch degree or else he could have played immediately someplace like Kansas or lesser. With O'Korn almost certain to start in 16 and 17, somebody will leave. Just as certain, Ruddock will only get demoted if he completely tanks the next few games--which nobody should really expect.

--The defense, as a whole, was very good. The secondary group will be amongst the best in the country by season's end, as their collective speed confined Utah to a 15-yard field. Watch for Peppers to become an Ian Gold type rover as the season rolls on. In doing shortening the field, Morgan and Bolden were exposed as the poor coverage LBs they are. Expect a platoon there by conference play. They filled and shed just ok, and were helped by Peppers' run support. The DL was solid, especially considering the absence of Mone. This group has a little depth, and that keeps fresh legs on the field.

--The Aussie kid can really kick, we're lucky to have him this year. Our PK situation isn't quite as ready to go, all these guys are a work in progress but let's hope it isn't 2010 all over again. Yikes.

--The receivers are a bit of a mixed bag this season, but overall it is a better situation at the position than in recent history. Darboh and Chesson aren't burners, but rather traditional West Coast Offense outside receivers. They are big, physical targets that can run just enough to be respected. Drake Harris, Brian Cole and Grant Perry have more talent than their older counterparts and they'll get their chance to contribute as the season unfolds. Word is that rumors of Canteen's demise were exaggerated, we'll see. Does anything really need to be said about Butt? Protypical pass-catching TE about sums it up.

--Expectations were all over the map with this year's team, and they still are. Saturday will tell us more, but what we know is this year's team played an experienced team rated just outside of the Top 25 very tough on the road. Oregon State is under a new coach as well, and is ripe to be beaten soundly. Oh, and what about our new coach? I don't think you'll have to worry about the guy who won NCAA and NFL COY in successive years.

This is a flawed team, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good team.

Good post, I actually read it all.

I'm not worried about Rudock either. The 2nd CB was exposed on screens in the 1st half, someone will still need to step up there for the secondary to be complete.

We'll see, the team is still very flawed, as you said. I think we'll see a lot of improvement, especially defensively, from week 1 to week 2 And Rudock should have a good game as well. Overall, I think as long as the front 7 doesn't get exposed by athletic spread offenses, we can still have a good season.

The failure, so far, of Green,Morris,Bosch and Pipkins is tough to recover from. The injuries to the two Drakes were also tough setbacks. Good points on the rest. Really wish we hadn't lost Mone.

I think there are reasons for optimism still. It's really tough to tell what you have after one game. The two obvious weaknesses are the run blocking and the interceptions. But the interception could very well be a fluke. It's certainly not in line with rudock' track record. The run blocking is more troubling, but it could also be a result of Utah having a very good run defense.

Oregon state is not a scary team but they aren't a tomato can either. Things could look a lot better after this weekend. If we struggle in those phases of the game again, then I will start to worry.

I think there are reasons for optimism still. It's really tough to tell what you have after one game. The two obvious weaknesses are the run blocking and the interceptions. But the interception could very well be a fluke. It's certainly not in line with rudock' track record. The run blocking is more troubling, but it could also be a result of Utah having a very good run defense.

Oregon state is not a scary team but they aren't a tomato can either. Things could look a lot better after this weekend. If we struggle in those phases of the game again, then I will start to worry.

Utah packed it in and their calling card has been their DL. They also either commented or were profiled before the game as not being focused on sacks. So maybe there isn't a lot we learned about the OL in that game.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in the Big House. They are nearly a 2 TD favorite right now, and Rudock and the running game couldn't play too much worse (you can always play worse, but within reason).

I'm still pretty disappointed in many of our 4* athletes from the past few recruiting years, and feel that Hoke didn't evaluate them properly, train them well enough, or a combination of both. We dismissed another one of them today. :cry:Logan Tuley-Tillman - Yahoo! Sports

I don't know the answer to this, but how many 4* or even 5* athletes have fizzled at Michigan over the past 4 recruiting classes? (fizzled meaning that they either were dismissed, left, or were unable to break the starting lineup by their 3rd year) I may have to look up those classes if I get some spare time this weekend.

Cornerbacks are playing like I dreamed, the DL is playing better than I dreamed. OL seems to have made substantial improvements from game 1 as well.

It's just so damn nice to see Michigan get better from week to week for a change.

Cornerbacks are playing like I dreamed, the DL is playing better than I dreamed. OL seems to have made substantial improvements from game 1 as well.

It's just so damn nice to see Michigan get better from week to week for a change.

What I REALLY like about it, is that both Michigan State and Ohio State haven't looked that great against inferior teams the past few weeks. It gives me a little optimism that Michigan could pull the upset against one of these teams this year....although I wouldn't bet a dime on it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in the Big House. They are nearly a 2 TD favorite right now, and Rudock and the running game couldn't play too much worse (you can always play worse, but within reason).

I'm still pretty disappointed in many of our 4* athletes from the past few recruiting years, and feel that Hoke didn't evaluate them properly, train them well enough, or a combination of both. We dismissed another one of them today. :cry:Logan Tuley-Tillman - Yahoo! Sports

I don't know the answer to this, but how many 4* or even 5* athletes have fizzled at Michigan over the past 4 recruiting classes? (fizzled meaning that they either were dismissed, left, or were unable to break the starting lineup by their 3rd year) I may have to look up those classes if I get some spare time this weekend.

If you look at Hoke's full 3 years of recruiting 23 of 36 4 and 5 stars are on the two-deep. 2 guys are medically out, 2 transferred 2 were dismissed and the rest have taken snaps this season.

If you look at Hoke's full 3 years of recruiting 23 of 36 4 and 5 stars are on the two-deep. 2 guys are medically out, 2 transferred 2 were dismissed and the rest have taken snaps this season.

That looks pretty good! I forgot to look it up, thanks for do it. Perhaps we don't need Harbaughs recruits right away. Michigan may be able to make a legit run next year with Hoke's guys after they have a full year under Harbaugh's coaching.

That looks pretty good! I forgot to look it up, thanks for do it. Perhaps we don't need Harbaughs recruits right away. Michigan may be able to make a legit run next year with Hoke's guys after they have a full year under Harbaugh's coaching.

Hoke was really hurt by the attrition in Rodriguez' classes along with the change in offensive schemes. This is why I thought anything less than 8-4 record this year would be a disappointment. The defense was better than average the last few seasons and the OL finally had some experience. Harbaugh runs what Hoke wanted to in terms of a power, clock consuming offense so a lot of the pieces are there. And unlike what he inherited, Hoke recruited to the Michigan tradition which Harbaugh is all about so he doesn't have to establish that.

I think things, outside of QB, were teed up quite well for Harbaugh. Hoke paid most of the rebuilding dues.

I'm just glad Rudock looked better today. He made better decisions with the football. I'm still not convinced he's all that good, & it looks to me like he waits too long to make a decision, but at least he wasn't making mistakes today. While I'm thrilled with the last 3 wins, we must remember the competition level. This was not MSU/OSU. They'll do okay against the 2nd tier of the Big Ten, but they still have a ways to go.

It looks like Utah may just be a playoff team right now. With the way they smoked Oregon last night, the MSU game is looking better and better for Michigan.

With four weeks in the books, and three games against power 5 conference teams, I think it's fair to say that this Michigan team is actually pretty good, and all the hang wringing after game 1 was for naught.

MSU and OSU will still be very tough games, but there aren't any other ones on the schedule where I think we wont be favored.

We might even end up favored against MSU seeing as it is a home game, but that will depend on how each team looks over the next few weeks.

We might even end up favored against MSU seeing as it is a home game, but that will depend on how each team looks over the next few weeks.

Put down that pipe Shelton!

:laugh:

Hoke was really hurt by the attrition in Rodriguez' classes along with the change in offensive schemes. This is why I thought anything less than 8-4 record this year would be a disappointment. The defense was better than average the last few seasons and the OL finally had some experience. Harbaugh runs what Hoke wanted to in terms of a power, clock consuming offense so a lot of the pieces are there. And unlike what he inherited, Hoke recruited to the Michigan tradition which Harbaugh is all about so he doesn't have to establish that.

I think things, outside of QB, were teed up quite well for Harbaugh. Hoke paid most of the rebuilding dues.

yup. I think Hoke's legacy is going to be tempered a good deal if/when (and the 'if' doesn't look that iffy already) JH starts winning with his guys. Brady is one of those guys who apparently can sell refrigerators to Eskimos. But the thing is, in the end, he could not have kept it up unless the rest of his coaching and management skills had rapidly caught up to his recruiting skill, because no matter how good you are with the recruit in his living room, you can't sustain high level recruiting if you keep losing. Outside of bringing in Mattison, he didn't do much else at a high level beyond the recruiting.