belcherboy

My thoughts after game #1

My thoughts:

1) Much of Michigan's recruiting the past 3-4 years is VERY overrated. Even if Hoke and Company didn't develop them properly, many should still be better at this point in their careers. Maybe Harbaugh just needs more time, but at this point, many of those 4* and 5* guys are average at best to being a bust, and I could see several of them getting bumped by Harbaugh's incoming class next year. I would have thought with the ratings of those athletes on the OL and at RB, that it would be a GREAT Michigan strength. They are just a GREAT disappointment so far this year. (although Rudock seemed to get decent good pass protection from the OL at times)

2) Rudock was not the savior that many made him out to be (even some writers and commentators). At this point, I'm sure Iowa fans aren't too bothered by losing him. If Harbaugh sticks with him, he is another bad game away from being done at Michigan, as he will not be back next year. Of course, maybe Morris just can't do it, then maybe they need to look at developing one of the freshman QB's. If all the QB's are worse than Rudock was last night, we need to brace for a true freshman next year at QB....and another rough year.

3) Even if Rudock missed a few wide open guys, I didn't feel the WR's for Michigan were open most of the night. About the only guy that seemed to get much separation was Butt.

4) The Defense looked pretty good, especially for the first game. I think they are Michigan's Obi Wan Kenobi this season. If they stay consistent, than Michigan should be a bowl eligible team.

5) Michigan is a terrible team on offense right now, and the deficiencies they had last night are likely only going to be solved by replacing many of those upper class men guys with new recruits. That means.....it may be 2-3 years before we see a Michigan team that actually is championship caliber team on offense.

I didn't expect Michigan to do to much this year, but got caught up a little bit in the Rudock hype. I still think they can win 8 games, but at this point, it will take A LOT of improvement to get there. Michigan now can just worry about B1G play, and getting ready for that. They have a pretty easy B1G schedule not having to play Wisconsin, or Nebraska, but Minnesota looks like they are going to be a pretty good team after the game against TCU last night. Michigan will lose to MSU and OSU barring a big injury or a miracle from Harbaugh. They likely will lose on the road at Minnesota. I think they could beat Penn State, although that is a road game as well.

5-3 in B1G play would have them at least at 7 wins, and maybe even 8-9 depending on how good the rest of their OOC opponents are. Right now though, I think 4-4 in B1G is about the best we can hope for base solely on last nights game, but I think Harbaugh can still pull them up to a 7 win team. I guess we'll see.

This seems much too gloomy. A new coach, a new system opening on the road against a decent team (ranked 30) all figure in. Be it the open TD passes he missed or the 6 he gave away, Rudock had an uncharacteristic rough outing. Darboh had 100+ receiving yards and Butt 90+ and that's not bad. They have something to work with.

I don't think the defense is done settling in....it will improve too.

This seems much too gloomy. A new coach, a new system opening on the road against a decent team (ranked 30) all figure in. Be it the open TD passes he missed or the 6 he gave away, Rudock had an uncharacteristic rough outing. Darboh had 100+ receiving yards and Butt 90+ and that's not bad. They have something to work with.

I don't think the defense is done settling in....it will improve too.

Am I really coming across as gloomy? We were 5-7 last year, and had one of the worst offenses in the country. We've clearly gotten better, and have a new QB and coaching staff. I even think we are a bowl team this year. I'm still wondering why so many Michigan fans were so optimistic about this team being a good team this year (with several predicting a blow out win against Utah last night), and why many feel a 7 win season is considered a "gloomy" prediction.

No doubt this team will get better, if they don't than my 7-8 win prediction for this season won't even come close to happening. The problem I see is that Rudock, even if he improves, doesn't help us in future seasons. If the guy makes a big leap next week, than maybe we keep him behind center, but if not, let's get someone under center that at least gives Michigan a chance to have a returning QB with several games under his belt in the mix for next years QB competition. Football is a QB's game now, and I don't think you can be truly successful anymore without a great QB. Also, from my perspective, I didn't feel really confident in the receivers outside of Butt. Not that they are terrible, I just felt that they weren't great by any means. Maybe that is because of Rudock, I don't know, just my perspective. I'm all for Rudock continuing if Harbaugh feels he is the best option, but if he has another rough game or even half a game, do you not think that it would be wise to jump to someone who has a future after this season in AA?

People were optimistic because rudock wasn't supposed to be throwing three interceptions per game.

Everything else about the game went about as I expected, except for maybe the way utah's front seven made our run game so difficult.

I thought the defense held up quite well.

The obvious worry is the way the offense performed. One part was the interceptions and the other part was the lack of push from the line.

The interceptions can hopefully be corrected given rudock' track record. The run blocking is more of a concern, but hopefully against a less stout front seven they will be able to make it work.

The story of this game was 3 Rudock throws. The 1st pick, the missed TD, the last pick. I think this was somewhat flukish and he'll be better going forward.

The potential story of the season was the O-line. They were poorer than I expected and far poorer than I hoped for. How much they improve will be the story of the season.

EDIT: I also think our RBs were very poor with their vision and didn't help the OLine at all.

Edited by Who is the Drizzle?

I have the missed TD throw and the TERRIBLE personal foul that Utah committed on 3rd down and long in against Rudock in the 3rd quarter as a wash. That personal foul from Utah was just dumb, and Michigan punts the ball from there and we go into the 4th quarter down 17-3 and Utah has the ball. We gave them a gift by missing a wide open TD pass, and they gave us a gift by hitting our QB out of bounds when it would have been 4th and long with no chance of a FG.

I was more concerned about the running game than the O-Line (although both were far from great). It seems like the RB's were struggling to hit the holes, and it seemed that although the line wasn't getting a good push, they still created some decent holes throughout the night. Our RB's were some of our highest rated recruits IIRC, so I was hoping that they would be able to run the right routes.

I have the missed TD throw and the TERRIBLE personal foul that Utah committed on 3rd down and long in against Rudock in the 3rd quarter as a wash. That personal foul from Utah was just dumb, and Michigan punts the ball from there and we go into the 4th quarter down 17-3 and Utah has the ball. We gave them a gift by missing a wide open TD pass, and they gave us a gift by hitting our QB out of bounds when it would have been 4th and long with no chance of a FG.

I was more concerned about the running game than the O-Line (although both were far from great). It seems like the RB's were struggling to hit the holes, and it seemed that although the line wasn't getting a good push, they still created some decent holes throughout the night. Our RB's were some of our highest rated recruits IIRC, so I was hoping that they would be able to run the right routes.

I'm not trying to go to "What-if Land" and say we would have won, just saying that our QB had a real bad game that crippled our chances, and that I think he'll be better going forward.

I'd like to see more of Isaac in the running game, and hopefully Drake Johnson is healthy soon.

I'm not trying to go to "What-if Land" and say we would have won, just saying that our QB had a real bad game that crippled our chances, and that I think he'll be better going forward.

I'd like to see more of Isaac in the running game, and hopefully Drake Johnson is healthy soon.

With a QBR of 32.6, I'm not sure he could do much worse. Again, with all the juggling catches I saw last night by Michigan receivers, I'm not real confident in the WR's, but again this is game #1, and several guys hadn't had much playing time before last night, so I'm hoping they get better with experience. I still think I would feel better if they would put one of younger QB's in the game. Of course, Harbaugh is probably hiding the fact that there is a big drop off in play making ability after Rudock.

The story of this game was 3 Rudock throws. The 1st pick, the missed TD, the last pick. I think this was somewhat flukish and he'll be better going forward.

The potential story of the season was the O-line. They were poorer than I expected and far poorer than I hoped for. How much they improve will be the story of the season.

EDIT: I also think our RBs were very poor with their vision and didn't help the OLine at all.

Rudock was horrible on the last two picks and the long ball, but I'm going to bet the 1st pick was on the receiver, he was almost certainly supposed to be breaking to the side line and he failed to make any kind of cut and thus left the defender inside a throw he should have been behind.

Am I really coming across as gloomy? We were 5-7 last year, and had one of the worst offenses in the country. We've clearly gotten better, and have a new QB and coaching staff. I even think we are a bowl team this year. I'm still wondering why so many Michigan fans were so optimistic about this team being a good team this year (with several predicting a blow out win against Utah last night), and why many feel a 7 win season is considered a "gloomy" prediction.

No doubt this team will get better, if they don't than my 7-8 win prediction for this season won't even come close to happening. The problem I see is that Rudock, even if he improves, doesn't help us in future seasons. If the guy makes a big leap next week, than maybe we keep him behind center, but if not, let's get someone under center that at least gives Michigan a chance to have a returning QB with several games under his belt in the mix for next years QB competition. Football is a QB's game now, and I don't think you can be truly successful anymore without a great QB. Also, from my perspective, I didn't feel really confident in the receivers outside of Butt. Not that they are terrible, I just felt that they weren't great by any means. Maybe that is because of Rudock, I don't know, just my perspective. I'm all for Rudock continuing if Harbaugh feels he is the best option, but if he has another rough game or even half a game, do you not think that it would be wise to jump to someone who has a future after this season in AA?

Maybe not by record but by comment. I don't think Rudock was considered a savior. He was thought to be a decent game manager with experience. The interceptions were uncharacteristic and had they not happened we probably have a different outcome. If he continues to be a TO machine he will have not met expectations.

Michigan has some good QB prospects who will benefit from the year in a system. They will lack experience but at least are being developed.

I didn't think the offense was terrible. Obviously they weren't great but they showed signs. Utah packed it in and their DL is well thought of. I think Harbaugh will adjust to that.

I saw quite a bit that went well, much better than last season. They say a team makes it's biggest leap between their first and second games. We will see.

.... Utah packed it in...

yup. which is why the long balls were so critical. Hit one of those and then it really is a different game. To me the fact that they did not go back to it more than twice argues that JH doesn't really have much confidence in Rudock's arm. Of course the fact that they could not make decent yardage on 1st down didn't set up them up for many deep tries.

One of the bigger stories of the game was Michigans starting tailback, D. Smith. I would argue no one could have have done a worse job last night than he did. He missed every hole, when they were open, and often time cut away from the open field and back into the pile to be tackled for no gain. He missed his blocking assignments and had a drop. Did Hoke not recruit one guy out of the backfield who wants to run somewhere than into the heart of the defenders.

That was the worst running back performance I have ever seen.

Maybe not by record but by comment. I don't think Rudock was considered a savior. He was thought to be a decent game manager with experience. The interceptions were uncharacteristic and had they not happened we probably have a different outcome. If he continues to be a TO machine he will have not met expectations.

This thing is, by most comments I read about Rudock (many on this site) before this game, people felt that if someone was a significantly better than Gardner, that this team would do some great things this year. Again, I hope for the best, but what, besides what he did on a different team last year, makes you think that Rudock is going to be a significant upgrade to Gardner? I'm going to give him the benefit of being on a new team, a team that is using a new system, and playing in the first game of the season, but on the offensive side of the ball, there was little to celebrate. That was the problem Michigan had last year, and I'm not real optimistic that it isn't a player problem. We'll know by the end of the month, because if Harbaugh can't get this offense playing consistent ball, than no one can.

I didn't think the offense was terrible.

If it wasn't terrible, what do you think would be terrible??

QBR 32.6 with 3 INT's one being a pick 6

Rushing 76 yards on 29 carries (2.6 average) with the longest run being 7 yards

A missed FG

Obviously they weren't great but they showed signs. Utah packed it in and their DL is well thought of. I think Harbaugh will adjust to that.

I saw quite a bit that went well, much better than last season. They say a team makes it's biggest leap between their first and second games. We will see.

I'm curious, besides a solid defensive performance, what did you see that went well yesterday? I don't think I saw "quite a bit that went well" unless you are talking primarily about defense. If they don't make a huge leap from the first to second game, this will be a VERY long season, because I don't think they could do much worse on offense.

Fortunately for Michigan they play a pretty decent OOC schedule. Not overwhelming where they are playing a powerhouse, but they are playing some decent programs. That can only help them going into B1G play as long as they make big leaps each week.

Edited by belcherboy

I don't see why you wouldn't consider what rudock did for his old team in prior years.

We don't write off a free agent in the pros after a bad game because his prior good performance was for his previous team.

You're putting way too much stock into this one game as far as rudock goes.

That's not to say there aren't signs of concern. The run blocking was definitely troubling. Utah's defense had a say in that a bit, but they still needed to be better.

Fortunately, the next few opponents won't present as a tough of a test so we can hope that the line improves as it goes on.

The way I see it, Michigan was about 4 combined feet away from being up 24-10 in the first half.

Obviously I am considering the three wide open receivers that Rudock overthrew to be the tipping point here. I don't care as much about the INTs, considering his track record, Utah being a good team, and the overall hype situation he walked into. Michigan should have won. They almost did tie it up even after being down 17-3, which felt like 100-0 at the time.

I was pissed at the outcome, but this morning I'm hopeful as ever. I can look through the weeds and see the truth of this football team. They are flawed, but much, much, much better than last year. We will win many games, and surprise people I think.

I don't see why you wouldn't consider what rudock did for his old team in prior years.

We don't write off a free agent in the pros after a bad game because his prior good performance was for his previous team.

You're putting way too much stock into this one game as far as rudock goes.

That's not to say there aren't signs of concern. The run blocking was definitely troubling. Utah's defense had a say in that a bit, but they still needed to be better.

Fortunately, the next few opponents won't present as a tough of a test so we can hope that the line improves as it goes on.

I'm all for giving him a chance to succeed here, but why wouldn't we talk about making a change? (and I hope Michigan's staff is discussing it as well) How much time do you give Rudock? The difference between a "free agent in the pros" is that we can keep the free agent for many years to come if we want. We don't have the option with Rudock. I'm not saying we need to demote him yet, but if he gives another below average performance and shows signs of struggling early in the next few games, why wouldn't you begin investing game time in the guys that will be here next year at QB?

The way I see it, Michigan was about 4 combined feet away from being up 24-10 in the first half.

Obviously I am considering the three wide open receivers that Rudock overthrew to be the tipping point here. I don't care as much about the INTs, considering his track record, Utah being a good team, and the overall hype situation he walked into. Michigan should have won. They almost did tie it up even after being down 17-3, which felt like 100-0 at the time.

I was pissed at the outcome, but this morning I'm hopeful as ever. I can look through the weeds and see the truth of this football team. They are flawed, but much, much, much better than last year. We will win many games, and surprise people I think.

I don't agree that Michigan should have won. I've said it before, but Utah had some bad breaks go their way as well. Also, I'm definitely no expert, but it seemed pretty clear to me that late in the game Utah went into a "prevent type defense" that allowed Michigan's last TD to happen. If it weren't for a HORRIBLE penalty in the 3rd quarter on 3rd and long near the 40 yard line where a Utah player (a captain no less) took a cheap shot at Rudock, Michigan likely would have been down 17-3 going into the 4th with Utah having the ball.

I'm not sure if anyone would agree with you that "Michigan should have won". I agree they could have won if things went right, but if you give Rudock those three overthrown balls, you have to give Utah some of the bad bounces they got as well. Overall, Utah outplayed them, and was clearly the better team IMO. That isn't a slap on Michigan, because I agree with what Colin Cowherd said at the end of the game, "Utah is the most balanced team in the Pac 12 South...they really don't have any weaknesses. They play consistent ball, and have good players at every key position" I agree with him (although I think their kicking game is questionable)

I'm all for giving him a chance to succeed here, but why wouldn't we talk about making a change? (and I hope Michigan's staff is discussing it as well) How much time do you give Rudock? The difference between a "free agent in the pros" is that we can keep the free agent for many years to come if we want. We don't have the option with Rudock. I'm not saying we need to demote him yet, but if he gives another below average performance and shows signs of struggling early in the next few games, why wouldn't you begin investing game time in the guys that will be here next year at QB?

I think you kind of missed my point. Or maybe I missed yours (you made a lot of points).

I was responding to your line about what it is about rudock other than his time at Iowa that should make us feel good about him (I paraphrased because I don't feel like going back and finding it).

My point is that you don't just ignore his performances prior to last night's game because it came from another team. That's a huge part of how you evaluate any player. I referred to the pros because of common it is to switch teams.

Your comment about the future seems extremely premature. This isn't a farm team. You play the guys that give you the best chance to win. Period. If a younger guy closes the gap, good for him. Play him then.

As for how long to wait, I hate those types of questions. I don't think there is a right answer. Especially because we aren't privy to what these guys are doing behind the scenes. I'm fairly confident that Jim harbaugh has the skills to determine who the best QB is.

Maybe Morris or somebody else is close behind and they will have a better week of practice and win the job.

For as bad as the interceptions were, if the first was truly because the receiver ran the wrong route, you can't blame rudock. For all we know the second one slipped and sailed. The third was terrible no doubt.

I don't really blame him for the long balls that missed. It's not like those are easy throws to make. And it was pretty damn windy out there, too.

I think you kind of missed my point. Or maybe I missed yours (you made a lot of points).

I was responding to your line about what it is about rudock other than his time at Iowa that should make us feel good about him (I paraphrased because I don't feel like going back and finding it).

My point is that you don't just ignore his performances prior to last night's game because it came from another team. That's a huge part of how you evaluate any player. I referred to the pros because of common it is to switch teams.

Your comment about the future seems extremely premature. This isn't a farm team. You play the guys that give you the best chance to win. Period. If a younger guy closes the gap, good for him. Play him then.

As for how long to wait, I hate those types of questions. I don't think there is a right answer. Especially because we aren't privy to what these guys are doing behind the scenes. I'm fairly confident that Jim harbaugh has the skills to determine who the best QB is.

Maybe Morris or somebody else is close behind and they will have a better week of practice and win the job.

For as bad as the interceptions were, if the first was truly because the receiver ran the wrong route, you can't blame rudock. For all we know the second one slipped and sailed. The third was terrible no doubt.

I don't really blame him for the long balls that missed. It's not like those are easy throws to make. And it was pretty damn windy out there, too.

Ok. I tend to view games as they are, not as they could or should have been. For some reason (I know it is a Michigan fan board so there will always be homerism) this board often gets caught up in this game of "let's paint the best picture possible" in terms of talking about the Michigan teams. I heard it for years about Rich Rod, and followed it up with Hoke (I mean I was part of that crowd with both coaches), and instead of people talking about what is actually happening, they simply make ludicrous predictions about how Michigan will blow out their opponents, or make statements like "I won't predict a blowout, but I don't think it will be close". Then following a loss you see people say that Michigan should have won the game, or simply state that it's game #1 and the real growth doesn't happen till game #2. This usually occurs until everyone has seen enough and they call for the firing of the coach.

I don't think I'm not trusting the coach by questioning whether he made the right choice of starters for the game opener when his QB plays a TERRIBLE game. (I know many on here don't agree) Ultimately, I think Harbaugh has everything under control, but from a message board discussion purpose, I really want to talk about the deficiencies of this team, but I don't feel like anyone else does (I don't blame them, it is depressing). For some reason, I think I am alone on this message board in my beliefs that this team doesn't have as much talent as many of us thought was recruited by Hoke. Again, I hope they develop under Harbaugh, but game #1 showed me that most our high end recruits from 2012, 2013 and 2014 are not very good right now. My thoughts are that this team is 2-3 recruiting classes away from contention, but I think most disagree. I hope they are right.

Dude, everyone is talking about the deficiencies. People are falling over themselves to talk about the deficiencies.

Every fan base points to a few plays after s loss and wishes for what could have been. Nothing wrong with that.

Rudock had an objectively terrible game, no doubt about that I don't think anyone disagrees.

But when you start trying to draw greater conclusions from one bad performance, you're going to have people pointing out the other things too.

Homerism can get annoying. Most people are guilty of it from time to time, myself included.

But doom and gloom is also pretty annoying.

Both sides should be challenged.

This thing is, by most comments I read about Rudock (many on this site) before this game, people felt that if someone was a significantly better than Gardner, that this team would do some great things this year. Again, I hope for the best, but what, besides what he did on a different team last year, makes you think that Rudock is going to be a significant upgrade to Gardner? I'm going to give him the benefit of being on a new team, a team that is using a new system, and playing in the first game of the season, but on the offensive side of the ball, there was little to celebrate. That was the problem Michigan had last year, and I'm not real optimistic that it isn't a player problem. We'll know by the end of the month, because if Harbaugh can't get this offense playing consistent ball, than no one can.

If it wasn't terrible, what do you think would be terrible??

QBR 32.6 with 3 INT's one being a pick 6

Rushing 76 yards on 29 carries (2.6 average) with the longest run being 7 yards

A missed FG

I'm curious, besides a solid defensive performance, what did you see that went well yesterday? I don't think I saw "quite a bit that went well" unless you are talking primarily about defense. If they don't make a huge leap from the first to second game, this will be a VERY long season, because I don't think they could do much worse on offense.

Fortunately for Michigan they play a pretty decent OOC schedule. Not overwhelming where they are playing a powerhouse, but they are playing some decent programs. That can only help them going into B1G play as long as they make big leaps each week.

A terrible offensive performance would look more like last season's game against Utah. More punts, more QB hurries/sacks, more RBs being thrown for a loss, etc. Rudock threw as many interceptions as Gardner/Morris combined did last year against Utah, but Rudock also had a better completion rate, a WR with 100 yards and a TE with nearly that. A terrible performance wouldn't have had the opportunity to connect on long pass plays, even if Rudock overthrew his man. And a terrible offense wouldn't have been able to run an efficient 2 minutes offense.

The good things I saw on the offense that I liked were an actual framework, better play calling, open receivers down field, limited penalties, a QB who did a good job of hanging in the pocket and who made some nice reads/throws in the middle of the field. If I remember right, Michigan about split possession time with Utah, again something that they didn't do last season.

I don't think Utah outplayed Michigan so much as they made plays on defense. Michigan was on Utah's 21 yard line the first interception, their own 43 on the second and the Utah 48 for the backbreaker. Michigan shot themselves in the foot and their defense couldn't come up with a key takeaway, even though they had a golden opportunity when Utah was backed up inside their own ten. It bounced off the Michigan man, Utah didn't make those mistakes even if Rudock gave them more chances.

Rudock made some bad throws but Utah isn't the easiest place to throw a football, especially when you're not used to it. Even if you don't account for the wind, the elevation will make a ball travel farther. If you're not used to it I could see how you could sail some or overthrow some like Rudock did on a couple of his deep balls. And as mentioned by others, I put the blame on the receiver for the first pick. He cutoff his route and left Rudock out to dry. And the 2nd one the ball sailed on him a bit. No excuses for the 3rd interception but it was still only 1 throw, even the best QBs make dumb throws and mistakes time to time.

So no, he didn't play good, but when you factor in the elements, a new system and it being the 1st game of the year I think he deserves a little break for his performance yesterday.

Rudock made some bad throws but Utah isn't the easiest place to throw a football, especially when you're not used to it. Even if you don't account for the wind, the elevation will make a ball travel farther.... .

you might be persuading me with this. It did seem a little incongruous that he was very accurate on the short and intermediate throws and then missed the long ones by that much, so maybe there is something to the environment issue. I notice Utah did not even attempt to throw deep so maybe they know something.

In the critique of Ruduck it has not been mentioned that it was a really big change not to see receivers having to try to reach behind them to catch the ball on every attempt.

On the positive side, the OL did a nice job. They were terrible a year ago, but Rudock had time to throw & there were holes for RBs to run through.

I thought Darboh & Chesson did show some separation at times, but Rudock couldn't get the ball to them. I'm not sure why that is, but I'm guessing some combination of hesitation & high altitude.

It's one game .. against a good team. They'll get better.

Of course, maybe Morris just can't do it, then maybe they need to look at developing one of the freshman QB's. If all the QB's are worse than Rudock was last night, we need to brace for a true freshman next year at QB....and another rough year.

I don't think you'll see a true freshman under any circumstance. O'Korn will be eligible and has shown enough to be the favorite to start.