Sign in to follow this  
hueytaxi

Henly Field to be sold

The Ledger is reporting Florida Southern will purchase the field for $1,000,000.

The sale won't impact the Lakeland Flying Tigers' plans to play at the field in 2016 while construction is underway at Joker Marchant Stadium. The deal includes about $180,000 in improvements to the stadium by the city before the Tigers begin play, including new lights, and upgraded locker rooms, concession stands and improvements to the clubhouse.
City of Lakeland to sell historic Henley Field to Florida Southern College for $1 million | TheLedger.com

This could answer some of the questions on Henly failing to meet lighting minimums.

Not sure anyone around here with the city or Tigers ever makes an official announcement. In one briefing, no construction would begin until after ST. Locals are already up in arms about the cost to the taxpayers on renovations, the $23MM interest and when they read about putting almost 200G's into Henly to upgrade the sale, who knows what will hit the fan. Lakeland's city commissioners are under constant fire over decisions of the last few years.

It seems to me that construction would start following the 2016 Spring Training. The question would come up where would the Tigers play their games in 2017 if the construction isn't finished in time. The Flying Tigers could begin the 2017 season at Henley if necessary.

i must have misssed something about 2017 being mentioned. It sounded like the 2016 LFT season would be at Henley (no real surprise) and they are renovating it (no mention of parking...) to improve lighting - yay, I think, concessions, locker rooms, etc. Not sure I see the upside for FSC but maybe their program is maturing.

Did it ever get announced officially where ST was next season?

From what I was told by LFT staff, Tigers ST will take place a Joker Marchant Stadium, and after ST they will start construction and LFT will be playing at Henley Field.

I think we will find out when we show up at the gates of the 2016 season!