Mr.TaterSalad

Detroit Lions 2015 Predictions Thread

I think the @gb game sets up well for us this year. I know the lions haven't won there in 500 years, but they are due and it's after the bye week.

This is the reputation I win when Smith and/or Scivique flame out? :ermm:

What do I get...the Elias code? :classic:

I looked at the NFL Thursday night game schedule and from November on, the games are only on the NFL network except for one game on December 3rd, Packers at Lions. Did we just luck out as Lions fans?

Thursday Night Schedule

My predictions: 8-8

Week 1: @ San Diego Chargers LOSS

Week 2: @ Minnesota Vikings LOSS

Week 3: Denver Broncos (Primetime Game NBC) LOSS

Week 4: @ Seattle Seahawks (MNF ESPN) LOSS

Week 5: Arizona Cardinals WIN

Week 6: Chicago Bears WIN

Week 7: Minnesota Vikings WIN

Week 8: @ Kansas City Chiefs (London Game) WIN

Week 9: BYE WEEK

Week 10: @ Green Bay Packers LOSS

Week 11: Oakland Raiders WIN

Week 12: Philadelphia Eagles WIN

Week 13: Green Bay Packers (TNF) LOSS

Week 14: @ St. Louis Rams LOSS

Week 15: @ New Orleans Saints LOSS

Week 16: San Francisco 49'ers WIN

Week 17: @ Chicago Bears WIN

My rationale: Mathis hasn't looked good so far this preseason; not sure how much pressure we will get on the QB this year and I don't think Slay + Quin can do it alone in the secondary. I think the offense will be better particularly the run game, but not enough to make up for the fall-off the defense faces without consistent pressure on the QB. I mentioned the stats earlier in the offseason (we lost 32.9 "Pass Rush Productivity" according to PFF and replaced that with 11.9) so unless we are hoping for Reid + Wright + Cudjo + Taylor to have stellar years getting after the QB, I am not hopeful in repeating as the #1 defensive line and #2 overall defense which was the main factor we made it to the playoffs last year.

My rationale: Mathis hasn't looked good so far this preseason; not sure how much pressure we will get on the QB this year and I don't think Slay + Quin can do it alone in the secondary. I think the offense will be better particularly the run game, but not enough to make up for the fall-off the defense faces without consistent pressure on the QB. I mentioned the stats earlier in the offseason (we lost 32.9 "Pass Rush Productivity" according to PFF and replaced that with 11.9) so unless we are hoping for Reid + Wright + Cudjo + Taylor to have stellar years getting after the QB, I am not hopeful in repeating as the #1 defensive line and #2 overall defense which was the main factor we made it to the playoffs last year.

In all seriousness, this is a plenty reasonable prediction. I believe in this team, but they have a lot to prove. In terms of pass rush, I'm basically counting on a). Ansah improving his pass rush score due to maturation as a player. b). Walker increasing his score due to volume. c). Reid and Taylor chipping in a bit and d). more blitzing. Only time will tell if any or all of them happen. I do think the run D has a chance to be just as good though, with Ngata and Tulloch helping a lot there.

If Mathis is toast that will definitely hurt us. We need a young DB or two to step up. Wilson does seem like an upgrade in the nickel though. Wish Carter was healthier. Lawson intrigues me.

Edited by Nastradamus

Week 1: @ San Diego Chargers WIN

Week 12: Philadelphia Eagles LOSS

Week 13: Green Bay Packers (TNF) WIN

9-7 apparently. Hard doing it individually. Could see us splitting the Rams and Saints on the road 1-1, but then again could easily see us dropping a game in the ARI, CHI, MIN home games. Also, we could maybe get a surprise victory against DEN or SEA.

Basically, individually I'm not sure but I think it all adds up to between 8-8 - 10-6 most likely.

you have them losing to the Rams? The Rams?

Any given Sunday....predictions in football are almost as much a waste of time as baseball predictions. This team could be 13-3 or they could be 7-9...you can say that exact same thing about half the league right now.

Every team has the same questions...

Are the draftees going to contribute?

Are 'x' players going to get better?

Are 'x' players going to regress?

How are the players that left going to affect us?

How are the free agents we signed going to help us?

Still fun either way and I always hope for the best, but reasonably expect the worst. It usually ends up somewhere in between...except for the 01-09 seasons! lol

Week 1: @ San Diego Chargers - loss

Week 2: @ Minnesota Vikings - loss

Week 3: Denver Broncos (Primetime Game NBC) - loss

Week 4: @ Seattle Seahawks (MNF ESPN) - loss

Week 5: Arizona Cardinals - win

Week 6: Chicago Bears - win

Week 7: Minnesota Vikings - win

Week 8: @ Kansas City Chiefs (London Game) - win

Week 10: @ Green Bay Packers - loss

Week 11: Oakland Raiders - win

Week 12: Philadelphia Eagles - loss

Week 13: Green Bay Packers (TNF) - win

Week 14: @ St. Louis Rams - win

Week 15: @ New Orleans Saints - loss

Week 16: San Francisco 49'ers - win

Week 17: @ Chicago Bears - win

I'm not believing the hype. Suh is a huge loss that will leave them exposed vs. DEN and PHI and average road teams. Stafford will still have a clunker game and too many clunker starts to games.

9-7 despite what doesn't seem like a tough schedule.

you have them losing to the Rams? The Rams?

The Rams had some impressive wins last season with a combination of Shaun hill and Austin David as their QB and that DO should be even better with Aaron Donald having another year under his belt (and I'm still not sure about our young OL). Not to mention by the time we play them Gurley should be at 100% and they can end up being a very solid team.

and New Orleans. Ouch. They probably end up drafting top 5 IMO.

At 8-8? I guess I don't see either of those losses as big shockers. We beat the saints last year by 1 thanks to some stellar defense late and Stafford throwing two TD in the last 3 minutes. Is it crazy to think we aren't quite as good as last year and we get less pressure on Brees and don't have a last minute comeback? I don't.

At 8-8? I guess I don't see either of those losses as big shockers. We beat the saints last year by 1 thanks to some stellar defense late and Stafford throwing two TD in the last 3 minutes. Is it crazy to think we aren't quite as good as last year and we get less pressure on Brees and don't have a last minute comeback? I don't.

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you were saying. I thought you meant the lions would probably draft top 5 if they lost those two games. I don't think the saints will be that awful.

I think the Rams are going to be a damn good team this year. I could certainly see a loss to them. I would think we'd beat NO but on the road its going to be tough.

The Rams had some impressive wins last season with a combination of Shaun hill and Austin David as their QB and that DO should be even better with Aaron Donald having another year under his belt (and I'm still not sure about our young OL). Not to mention by the time we play them Gurley should be at 100% and they can end up being a very solid team.

Not sure that passing game is any better. Foles is an INT machine who Kelly made look good for a short stretch and they have terrible passing weapons.

As for NO, they're now down Graham,Stills and Galette(double digit sack guy) from last year without much to replace any of them plus a few OL starters. I think they're significantly worse this year.

Not sure that passing game is any better. Foles is an INT machine who Kelly made look good for a short stretch and they have terrible passing weapons.

As for NO, they're now down Graham,Stills and Galette(double digit sack guy) from last year without much to replace any of them plus a few OL starters. I think they're significantly worse this year.

We are without three double digit sack guys plus Mosley without much to replace them, especially in terms of getting after the QB. And Brees has shown throughout much of his career the ability to make marginal talents look good. Not to mention Graham didn't even play against the Lions last year and it was still a very tight game that required late game heroics to win.

Foles, IMO will be asked to do less in St. Louis system. I expect him to be more of a game manager who plays off of play action and on the run while relying on the run game and defense. And to be fair he is only one year removed from 27 TD:2 INT season. Regardless I don't think there is any arguing he is better than Hill/Davis.

3 double digit sack guys?

I think we did a better job replacing the guys we lost than they did and I suppose in order to believe in this team you have to believe the offense will take a MAJOR step forward. I personally see them as minimally above average and potentially elite, compared to putrid last year. I value what I see in preseason more than most, but in this year's preseason Stafford leads the league in passer rating and our OL has ranked 9th(with Waddle not playing) in the NFL on PFF. Abdullah looks like a big upgrade on Bush and the backup WRs look upgraded to me. Production from Ebron is obviously an unknown at this point, but I do like the Wright addition.

I don't see potential for either unit in NO to do such a thing. The offense was pretty good last year, and I think at best matches what it did last year. The D does add some talent, but Galette is a huge loss that they didn't replace at all.

I drink the kool-aid every season. And after an 11 win season, it goes down even easier.

But finding 11 wins in this schedule is hard. It all comes down to injuries. The NFL is very hard to predict because of them.

I'll go on record as saying 10-6. Wildcard playoff loss. That seems like a pretty safe call. But my heart has them winning back to back to back Super Bowls....

3 double digit sack guys?

I think we did a better job replacing the guys we lost than they did and I suppose in order to believe in this team you have to believe the offense will take a MAJOR step forward. I personally see them as minimally above average and potentially elite, compared to putrid last year. I value what I see in preseason more than most, but in this year's preseason Stafford leads the league in passer rating and our OL has ranked 9th(with Waddle not playing) in the NFL on PFF. Abdullah looks like a big upgrade on Bush and the backup WRs look upgraded to me. Production from Ebron is obviously an unknown at this point, but I do like the Wright addition.

I don't see potential for either unit in NO to do such a thing. The offense was pretty good last year, and I think at best matches what it did last year. The D does add some talent, but Galette is a huge loss that they didn't replace at all.

I apologize, Fairley and Johnson weren't double digit sack guys...what I meant to say/should have said is they were highly rated "Pass Rush Productivity" guys who got to the QB often.

Gallete PRP was 12.1, he is replaced largely by rookie Hau’oli Kikaha, who is obviously an unknown but was the leader in sacks in college football last year at 19...and has seemingly looked good in the preseason according to a quick glance at reports.

Suh was 8.4, Fairley was 10.0, and Johnson was also 10.0 another interesting note is that if you project Johnson's sack total/pass rush attempt to the same as Junior Galette's he would have 9 sacks as opposed to Galette's 10. We replaced those three guys with Ngata (4.7) and Walker (7.3) so our net loss is 16.4 in terms of pass rush productivity to NO net loss of 12.1 and obviously that doesn't include Kikaha's future numbers.

It will be interesting to see how the two teams develop, but I just don't think the Saints are going to be in the lottery at all, I would be interest in seeing if you can even find a projection for the Saints to win less than 8 games.

I apologize, Fairley and Johnson weren't double digit sack guys...what I meant to say/should have said is they were highly rated "Pass Rush Productivity" guys who got to the QB often.

Gallete PRP was 12.1, he is replaced largely by rookie Hau’oli Kikaha, who is obviously an unknown but was the leader in sacks in college football last year at 19...and has seemingly looked good in the preseason according to a quick glance at reports.

Suh was 8.4, Fairley was 10.0, and Johnson was also 10.0 another interesting note is that if you project Johnson's sack total/pass rush attempt to the same as Junior Galette's he would have 9 sacks as opposed to Galette's 10. We replaced those three guys with Ngata (4.7) and Walker (7.3) so our net loss is 16.4 in terms of pass rush productivity to NO net loss of 12.1 and obviously that doesn't include Kikaha's future numbers.

It will be interesting to see how the two teams develop, but I just don't think the Saints are going to be in the lottery at all, I would be interest in seeing if you can even find a projection for the Saints to win less than 8 games.

I mean, we're talking a rookie replacing a 10 sack guy, on a defense that was ranked 31st(28th in scoring, 20th on PFF). I don't think I'm that crazy to not like their roster much considering their offense lost more talent than it gained and got another year older(yes I realize every team did that,lol). I realize we played a 1 point game and to be honest, a team with a QB like Brees has a shot in any game. Was just slightly surprised that's the one you picked.

Fwiw I did probably under credit the Rams, but I don't think a power running team is going to fare as well against us as high powered, spread the field type passing teams will so they surprised me a bit as well.

Speaking of PFF points, Stafford is where we need to make our major improvement. He was basically a +13 3 years in a row and a -9.4 last year. I'm hoping for a significant improvement(20-30 range), but a regression to the mean even would be huge.

Week 1: @ San Diego Chargers WIN

Week 2: @ Minnesota Vikings WIN

Week 3: Denver Broncos WIN

Week 4: @ Seattle Seahawks LOSS

Week 8: @ Kansas City Chiefs WIN

Week 12: Philadelphia Eagles LOSS