hail2mich

GDT: Michigan at Utah 9/3/2015

Michigan's offensive line is average at best at run blocking, but our tailbacks are epically bad. None of them, except maybe Isaac runs a sub 5 second 40. All of them have poor vision. Derek Green has the worst vision of any Michigan running back that I can recall. Notice how seemingly 90% of the runs are straight up the middle? It's not because Harbaugh's obsessed with running it up the gut, it's because none of these guys can turn the corner.

I do like Smith's strength and effort. It's definitely needed since he loves running directly into our o-linemen's backs.

Maybe when Johnson comes back this offense will be decent. Butt is an All Big Ten caliber TE. Darboh looked pretty good. Chesson is serviceable. The o-line can pass block, and Rudock will, hopefully, have better days. They're never going to be an offensive dynamo, but with a good running back, Michigan should score enough points to contend for 2nd place in the Big Ten east.

Edited by Sparks4Ever

They're never going to be an offensive dynamo, but with a good running back, Michigan should score enough points to contend for 2nd place in the Big Ten east.

I know that it is a new season with a new coach, and I expect the offense to get better each week, but after watching tonight, I don't see how Michigan is in the same solar system as MSU or OSU. I can't imagine they will be contending for 2nd place in the East, without a revolutionary turnaround.

The best case scenario in my mind right now is that Michigan will be competing with PSU for 3rd place in the East. The rest of the East is garbage.

I thought the OL did a decent job. Good pass protection. I'm more worried about the open receivers Rudock missed than the INTs. In today's football, college & pro, you're only as good as your QB.

So, went to the local restaurant/bar to watch the M game. The Worst Ever Tiger Fan was there--this is what we called him and he was a guy I chewed out for being a dick last year because all he'd do is ***** about the Tigers like a whiny little *****.

Turns out he's a Sparty fan. He did not shut up the entire game and had the most obnoxious voice. He was wearing an Appalachain St. vs. Michigan shirt, I **** you not. I thought these people only existed in fairy tales. The entire bar wanted to murder him.

It must be a sad lot in life leads a MSU fan to root against UM in public on a Thursday night. **** that guy.

This is what I imagine sportz is like.

Having met sportz, he is nothing like that, FWIW.

That was a shockingly poor display from rudock and not what we were led to believe about him. I can hope that it was simply a bad day. He had five interceptions all of last year, right?

Part of it was the running game not being enough to keep them honest, but utah's front seven was their strength so credit to them.

Utah was the better team. We can hope that perhaps Utah is just pretty good.

I saw signs for remaining optimistic, at least.

That was a shockingly poor display from rudock and not what we were led to believe about him. I can hope that it was simply a bad day. He had five interceptions all of last year, right?

Part of it was the running game not being enough to keep them honest, but utah's front seven was their strength so credit to them.

Utah was the better team. We can hope that perhaps Utah is just pretty good.

I saw signs for remaining optimistic, at least.

My optimism would be: The defense played reasonably well on the road vs what is supposed to be a top level RB and an experienced senior QB

and the O-Line did well in pass protection vs a strong defensive line

Those are pretty big positives

But the QB, RB, and run blocking from the O-Line all being (imo) horrendously bad is a pretty big negative.

Obviously it would be pretty crazy not to be optimistic about the long term future of the program, but the dream of a miracle one year turnaround would need Rudock to be a lot better than he looked or for Alex Malzone or someone to be the answer.

So, went to the local restaurant/bar to watch the M game. The Worst Ever Tiger Fan was there--this is what we called him and he was a guy I chewed out for being a dick last year because all he'd do is ***** about the Tigers like a whiny little *****.

Turns out he's a Sparty fan. He did not shut up the entire game and had the most obnoxious voice. He was wearing an Appalachain St. vs. Michigan shirt, I **** you not. I thought these people only existed in fairy tales. The entire bar wanted to murder him.

It must be a sad lot in life leads a MSU fan to root against UM in public on a Thursday night. **** that guy.

This is what I imagine sportz is like.

wow you're pretty sour about the game huh?

My optimism would be: The defense played reasonably well on the road vs what is supposed to be a top level RB and an experienced senior QB

and the O-Line did well in pass protection vs a strong defensive line

Those are pretty big positives

But the QB, RB, and run blocking from the O-Line all being (imo) horrendously bad is a pretty big negative.

Obviously it would be pretty crazy not to be optimistic about the long term future of the program, but the dream of a miracle one year turnaround would need Rudock to be a lot better than he looked or for Alex Malzone or someone to be the answer.

My concern on the offense is the inability to stretch the field in any direction. If you have no breakaway speed at RB and you can't throw the ball long and hit anyone, you just make it way too easy for the D. I suppose they may be able to slug it out on the ground against the lesser D lines but that just leaves you mid pack.

Edited by Gehringer_2

wow you're pretty sour about the game huh?

Eh, this was supposed to be a fun game to watch. We're not going undefeated, we're not supposed to win, so it is not very relevant to the season.

Don't need some ******* more concerned with my team than he is with his team trying to piss me off. People with that mindset always piss me off.

Eh, this was supposed to be a fun game to watch. We're not going undefeated, we're not supposed to win, so it is not very relevant to the season.

Don't need some ******* more concerned with my team than he is with his team trying to piss me off. People with that mindset always piss me off.

It does take a real ******* to go to another team's bar and openly root against that team. I've only encountered it a few times. A couples sparties showed up to the UM bar the year Tate lost the game in OT. A few ND bros came to the same bar for the first UM ND night game. And I also recall the time a couple cards fans showed up the Tigers bar during the World Series.

Oh well.

It does take a real ******* to go to another team's bar and openly root against that team. I've only encountered it a few times. A couples sparties showed up to the UM bar the year Tate lost the game in OT. A few ND bros came to the same bar for the first UM ND night game. And I also recall the time a couple cards fans showed up the Tigers bar during the World Series.

Oh well.

It wasn't a UM bar, but there were 3 only guys that weren't rooting for Michigan and they were the loudest. None were sporting Utah gear.

We're simply not going to go back for UM games, because nothing good is going to happen if we do. Trying to be adults and all that. It's a shame, because the pizza is great and the staff is all really cool.

It wasn't a UM bar, but there were 3 only guys that weren't rooting for Michigan and they were the loudest. None were sporting Utah gear.

We're simply not going to go back for UM games, because nothing good is going to happen if we do. Trying to be adults and all that. It's a shame, because the pizza is great and the staff is all really cool.

really you won't go back because people rooted against michigan? that's weak bro. -2 man cards.

I won't go back because I don't want to get in fights.

Grow up.

Sounds to me like if you're potentially getting in fights over a stupid college football game, the "grow up" finger is pointed in the wrong direction.

Sounds to me like if you're potentially getting in fights over a stupid college football game, the "grow up" finger is pointed in the wrong direction.

I phrased that badly. I'm not worried about getting into a fight, I simply don't want to continually exchange heated words with *******s over them being an *******. The best way to do that is to avoid known *******s.

If that reduces my man points in the eyes of the resident frat bro, so be it.

I won't go back because I don't want to get in fights.

Grow up.

grown ups don't fight people in the bar because they're rooting for the other team

grown ups don't fight people in the bar because they're rooting for the other team

Verbal fight. I'm not talking about throwing punches.

But if someone is being a drunk ******* I'm calling them out on it. And then avoiding the situation in the future.

I apologize for my gender if that's not macho enough for you.

I'll stop now, sorry for whining. It's just annoying when fans from a team I give zero ****s about show up just to troll.

I'm still not sure what the best thing to do is. Leave? Stay silent and annoyed? Tell them to shut up? Wait until MSU loses and be equally obnoxious?

The dude in the bar is being a real life troll, so any reaction from you aside from brushing him off is him succeeding in his mission.

Similar to what noted MSU fan TPPinDC is doing right now.

Trolls are annoying, so being annoyed by them is inevitable. But ignoring them is probably the best solution. That could mean still going to that bar and paying him no mind, or going to a different bar or staying home. Whatever works.

I wouldn't bother saying anything to him (unless of course his cause is defeated, which in that case requires almost everyone around him to make him feel like trash).

This guy probably owns an O'Doyle Rules t shirt.

Wait until MSU loses and be equally obnoxious?

Life was so much easier when Michigan routinely beat them in football! I hope those days come back soon.