PuNk42AE

08/27/2015: Los Angeles Angels (Shoemaker) at Detroit Tigers (Wolf) - 1:08 PM

The game should end with Tyler Collins at the plate.

Would'of, could'of, should'of.

Well, if you are going to lose, you might as well do it in a devastating fashion. What a waste of a nice start by Wolf. Two hit shut out by Shoemaker. Good grief.

Well, if you are going to lose, you might as well do it in a devastating fashion. What a waste of a nice start by Wolf. Two hit shut out by Shoemaker. Good grief.

And Shoemaker only allowed one of those hits.

25 runs in 2 games in Chicago and 26 in 8 games since then. The only way we win is if someone pitches a 1-hit shutout.

What are the chances we bring avila back next year? 95% or 97%?

0%

Al has been waiting for 3 decades for this job. Alex will move on to a new team or something else just to protect this dad.

0%

Al has been waiting for 3 decades for this job. Alex will move on to a new team or something else just to protect this dad.

Roving minor league instructor.

If anything I think Al being his Dad makes it even less likely he comes back. You know Avila is feeling the pressure this offseason with us having a bad year and him having to replace DD. I doubt he wants to take any chances of possibly ruffling some feathers by bringing his son back unless everybody else in the organization is OK with it.

Has Ausmus tried the suicide squeeze at all this season? I was thinking after the JD triple, it might be a good play (though I'm not sure about Nick's ability to pull it off). As it happened, just another futile AB from Nick. Ho-Hum.

I recall a point when he did try it, though I don't remember when. Romine was the batter, he muffed the bunt, and the play was off, as I recall.

Also, the Tigers scored so many runs in Chicago. Hate to say it, but I wonder if having Victor out had anything to do with it.

I'm liking the Randy Wolf pickup. He's had great command of his 2-seamer/cutter and it's producing a lot of swings and misses. Love those crafty LHers.

This would be perfect. The only thing that would make it more perfect would be if ausmus told him to stop at third because he didnt want the game tied to go into extra innings because alex wilson wasnt ready yet.

This literally had me giggling for about 30 seconds.

If the Tigers spend any serious money on relief pitching it will only prove that Avila is no better than his predecessor on building a bullpen; which is to say, crappy.

Has Ausmus tried the suicide squeeze at all this season? I was thinking after the JD triple, it might be a good play (though I'm not sure about Nick's ability to pull it off). As it happened, just another futile AB from Nick. Ho-Hum.

Brad did call for the suicide squeeze. But it probably wasn't an ideal situation, since Cabrera was on first base.

Games like this happen way too often. This guy should not have pitched a 2 hitter today.

Alex being Al's son has a 0% affect on whether the Tigers bring him back.

False. It's the entire decision, in so that they don't even have to make a decision. Alex is gone.

Games like this happen way too often. This guy should not have pitched a 2 hitter today.

Brad, shrugging. "Gotta tip your hat to their pitcher. That's baseball."

I'm liking the Randy Wolf pickup. He's had great command of his 2-seamer/cutter and it's producing a lot of swings and misses. Love those crafty LHers.

I don't know how long they had been watching him this season, but he looks like we could have used him when Greene was sent down the first time a couple of months ago.

It's the kind of move the Tiger's haven't been very good with under DD. We'll see if this was just a little luck or if scavenging guys off the discard pile is something Al does better at.

I don't know how long they had been watching him this season, but he looks like we could have used him when Greene was sent down the first time a couple of months ago.

It's the kind of move the Tiger's haven't been very good with under DD. We'll see if this was just a little luck or if scavenging guys off the discard pile is something Al does better at.

The frustrating thing is they have had 40-man roster spots open for much of the season. And that's not counting a lot of the rabble. They didn't seem to even try.

I'm still mad Avila didn't pick up Nava or especially Snider.

I wouldn't so much as say that the Tigers haven't been very good at it under DD, so much as I'd say that they refused to participate in such a way. Rarely have we signed any veterans to minor league deals in the spring. Rarely have we had any MLB veterans on the Toledo roster at all during the season (other than rehab appearances, etc). DD's philosophy seemed to be to target a small handful of minor league free agents to fill those needs in ST, etc. But rarely ever guys who have spent any appreciable time in the majors, they just weren't on the radar. And unfortunately, we really haven't gotten a lot of of those guys that DD was signing either.

I do wonder if DD was still with the Tigers, if we would have made the move for Wolf. Maybe, the team was pretty desperate for a cheap arm to throw innings. But its really not a DD move.