Motor City Sonics

Remember When................

Remember When...........

...........only about 50 games were televised and that seemed like a big number?

...........if you wanted to know the score of that night's game you had to con your parents into letting you stay up until 11:20 when Al Ackerman came on the news?

...........or you had to wait for the morning paper?

...........you didn't know the score of a Wednesday west coast game until Friday's paper?

How could we stand it.

...........you collected baseball cards pack-by-pack instead of ordering the whole set because $20 was unattainable. It's the first time you'd heard of a town in Wisconsin called Stevens Point.

............when This Week In Baseball mentioned the Tigers?

...........you went to Dairy Queen and spent $1.25 so you could get a sundae in a helmet bowl and there were always two or three teams you could never get (Padres comes to mind)

...........your dad gave you 26 stamps and you had to go to the library to look up the address for all 26 teams so you could send out a request for a pocket schedule and how awesome it was when pretty much all the teams sent you envelopes back (sometimes 5 in one day). Most teams would send more than one and some teams would send other things. The Mets envelope was padded with special baseball cards and stickers. I loved the Mets because of that.

...........watching a random Saturday afternoon game against Cleveland with this scrawny-looking blonde-haired kid pitching that was more fidgety than you, and he made the announcers laugh?

...........when bringing in a relief pitcher wasn't a sign of surrender?

Edited by Motor City Sonics

...........only about 50 games were televised and that seemed like a big number?

Actually, I was thinking about this the other day. I've watched an incredible amount of games this season (be it just bits and pieces or whole games, and started to feel guilty about it. Then I realized that there was a time when only a handful per week were televised, and even then I might not have been able to watch. And the offseason will be upon us once again and there will be no baseball to watch until the glimpse of spring training games come March.

remember when we didn't have these hot dog players like Carlos Gomez ruining the game?

Remember When...........

I do! Back before remote controls, I can remember going to my Grandpa's house and he would never take the TV off of channel 4 because he didn't want to miss a televised game!

Channel 4, 24/7, 7 days a week!

And every January or February you would go to the magazine section at the store and buy the season previews. Except the really bad ones came out first and you would buy them anyway because you were starved for baseball. The Tigers preview wouldn't be updated for the off season trades and have guys projected at the wrong positions.

I don't remember much of this at all... Honestly I wasn't a huge sports fan when I was a kid. I semi-followed the Tigers (as well as the other Michigan teams of course), but only a little bit. 1984 was different of course... and 1985 I followed a little more closely, but I was soon back to 'casual fan' (at best) after that. Wasn't until late 90s that I really started following the Tigers closely again.

Watching the Tigers on TV was a special thing.... we didn't get PASS right away because my parents said it was too expensive. (You had to pay extra to get it, like getting another movie channel). When you'd hear George Kell say "Hello Everybody" it wasn't a standard greeting.... you hadn't seen him in 4 or 5 days.

"Tigers are on tomorrow....." magical words.

Watching the Tigers on TV was a special thing.... we didn't get PASS right away because my parents said it was too expensive. (You had to pay extra to get it, like getting another movie channel). When you'd hear George Kell say "Hello Everybody" it wasn't a standard greeting.... you hadn't seen him in 4 or 5 days.

"Tigers are on tomorrow....." magical words.

Indeed. Tiger games on TV was an event. As was the Saturday game on NBC.

I'd never want to go back to those days, but the specialness has worn completely away since every game from every team is available to anyone with a baseball package.

Hell, even a regular cable subscription will get you baseball every night.

I have lived in Australia for more than forty years and if I ever get back to a visit to Detroit I want to take in a Sunday double header! The twi-night double headers they have finish too late for me.

I have lived in Australia for more than forty years and if I ever get back to a visit to Detroit I want to take in a Sunday double header! The twi-night double headers they have finish too late for me.

Aaaaah yes, traditional double headers before the current day/night double headers. Miss them. My last one was almost 20 years ago in Milwaukee vs. the Tigers.

Aaaaah yes, traditional double headers before the current day/night double headers. Miss them. My last one was almost 20 years ago in Milwaukee vs. the Tigers.

I went to one in 2003, I think, right around May 1st. They played the Orioles and Mike Maroth had a no-hitter in the second game into the 8th inning. I had to go to work and I called my boss and asked if I could be a little late, I am witnessing history and he said "sure, but you won't miss anything". About the time I hung up the phone he gave up a hit and then 6 runs and we lost. I went to work on time.

.........your Dad worked at the printing company right across the freeway from Tiger Stadium and would come pick you and your friends up on his lunch break, take you back there, give you a $20 and it was enough for bleacher tickets, hot dogs and sodas for the four of you and you'd have change for him? Then you'd walk back over the freeway after the game and he'd be standing at his car ready to take you home?

.........you had a big family get together at your house and nobody knew where "Pa" (Grampa) was and it turned out he was sitting in a hot car listening to Ernie Harwell because he didn't want to trouble anyone and even though the game was on TV he preferred listening to Ernie?

I remember when the Tigers last scored six runs......................

I do remember falling asleep listening to a Tiger game with Ernie on my transistor radio...............

I remember when I had season tickets prior to the 2007 season.... you'd get vouchers for tickets to any Mon-Thur game. I think 10 in total. And they had an exchange program where your unused tickets could be exchanged for the same, free of charge. I got my son in the Kids Club and that came with 2 or 3 vouchers.

.........you had a big family get together at your house and nobody knew where "Pa" (Grampa) was and it turned out he was sitting in a hot car listening to Ernie Harwell because he didn't want to trouble anyone and even though the game was on TV he preferred listening to Ernie?

I always knew grandpa was shady but I had no idea he was stealing cars.

I remember sticking a flavoradio from Radio Shack under my pillow to listen to the sports final on WJR at 11:15pm... Vacation times at my grandmother's were brutal...multiple sisters and an old woman who hated baseball vs me and one or two of my brothers who liked baseball fighting over one television. I t was the old woman's TV...guess who won?

Being at Gram's did provide an opportunity to read the Grand Rapids Press every day. In the sports page they printed a drawing of a cartoon Tiger in a baseball uni. If the Tigerss won he was smiling...if they lost he was frowning. Don't know why they didn't show him sleeping in a hammock on off days, but they didn't.

......a pack of Topps cards was 50 cents and had like 18 cards in it? And complete sets had one card of each guy, two for all-stars, instead of 30 of one guy and none of 30 other guys? And Target sold old boxes of 36 packs, factory sealed, for like $8? I bought a ton of those with lawn mowing money...I remember buying a 1987 Topps, a 1988 Score, a 1993 Topps, and several others.

I remember sticking a flavoradio from Radio Shack under my pillow

I do remember falling asleep listening to a Tiger game with Ernie on my transistor radio...............

More times then I can count I fell asleep with the transistor radio under the pillow listening to Ernie and Paul.

I remember when Michigan used to be good at football. Those were the days...

I remember, my last senior weeks in Ann Arbor and some old guy playing Those Were The Days on a mandolin. :)

When the most popular chants at Tiger Stadium were:

- We Want A Hit, We Want A Hit (being led by kids in the lower LF stands banging miniature wooden bats against their seats)

- Go! Go! Go! (when Leflore was leading off 1st base)

When you'd hear a press box announcer with news from out of town speaking in the background and then Paul Carey would relay it to the listening audience a few seconds later

Whenever there was a rain delay Channel 4 would kill time by showing the highlight film of the 1968 World Series and sometimes it would cut out with the Tigers down 3 games to 1 to go back to the stadium to show the tarp had been taken off the field and the pitchers were warming up again

Edited by lordstanley

When you checked the transactions section in the paper each morning to learn about all the moves from two days ago.

When The Sporting News came in your mailbox each Friday and you were excited because that was the only way to get news on all the teams.

When the Sunday paper was the only time you could could get statistics for every player.