cruzer1

DETROIT DILEMMA: REBUILD OR RELOAD?

No question that was a pitching staff that could also fail. But OTOH, other than Price and Grienke (neither of which I can see wearing a 'D'), all of the other FA starters seem to be to have pretty big questions also compared to Norris so I am not that confident you are going to be able to sign more than one pitcher that turns out to be good. Similarly with the pen - one reliable FA, which moves Wilson and Hardy into roles they may be more suited for, and while the rest of the BP while not anything to excited about, would be light years ahead of Joba, Alburquerque, Gorzelanny in term of consistency.

And I won't deny optimism. Can't fight the mood: M just threw a shutout. :classic:

I think you're right that getting an ace will be very hard....if that is the case, then I think we need to go for two "good" starters....I would define that as 200+ IP and less than 90 runs allowed.

Agreed, just make a solid bp signing (I really like O'Day). I would also like to bring back Soria to close, if he's healthy.

They should go very aggressively after O'Day from the start. He should be priority #1. He's even been closing very well for Baltimore with Britton banged up a bit.

But I agree with G2, kind of: 4 quality pieces. O'Day, BP#2, SP, LHH-LF. Re-sign Avila (or whoever), Davis (4th OF/platoon CF), and Feliz (if the price is right). That's kind of the minimum to have a team that competes for the division (on paper). That gives you rotation depth, an okay back-end of the bullpen and a #2 hitter/good defensive team (other than Nick). That shouldn't be all they do, for example they could be aggressive on the periphery with bullpen arms, but that should take care of most of it.

I also have been wondering how tempted they would be to deal Iglesias. He should not be shopped, but a deal involving somebody like Odorozzi or Ross might make AA think, assuming he wants to be extra sure with the rotation.

So basically the idea is:

- replace Soria with O'Day

- replace Cespedes with another good OF

- replace Price with another good SP

- keep the Manager

....and somehow we go from 70 or so wins to 90 wins and the playoffs?

We need a 200 net run improvement...I don't see how the moves above add up to that kind of improvement.

- keep the Manager

We need a 200 net run improvement...I don't see how the moves above add up to that kind of improvement.

Replace Greene with Norris

Replace Simon with Boyd

Healthy JV, Victor, Anibal, Iglesias, Miggy, etc.

- keep the Manager

They will also hopefully be adding full seasons from Verlander, Cabrera, Victor Martinez and Sanchez. Some of pitchers they acquired in the deadline trades could help too. Norris is already looking like he could help a lot. If they are going to be unhealthy again next year and none of the young pitchers develop, then no they aren't going win next year.

.... That gives you rotation depth, ....

With JV at 33 and Sanchez's health now continually iffy, I think the Tigers can't underestimate how important the 6-8 starters at Toledo are. We had that great run when JV, Max, Porcello, Smyly, Fister were all relatively young and healhty and we didn't use much extra starting depth, but that isn't were we are now. Given the choice of the a trade of that depth for one more starter, I'm going to be pretty reluctant unless we get a pretty perfect return.

With JV at 33 and Sanchez's health now continually iffy, I think the Tigers can't underestimate how important the 6-8 starters at Toledo are. We had that great run when JV, Max, Porcello, Smyly, Fister were all relatively young and healhty and we didn't use much extra starting depth, but that isn't were we are now. Given the choice of the a trade of that depth for one more starter, I'm going to be pretty reluctant unless we get a pretty perfect return.

Yeah, there's no way they'll be trading a pitcher. Right now they have 5 options (JV, Anibal, Norris, Boyd, Fulmer), which isn't enough. They might pencil Lobstein in as an spot start type option too, and so with an FA signing that would make 7. So I can see why AA would like to acquire 2 SPs, altho I personally wouldn't like to spend too much on the 2nd.

Replace Greene with Norris

Replace Simon with Boyd

Healthy JV, Victor, Anibal, Iglesias, Miggy, etc.

Well yeah, if everybody who was injured in 2015 is suddenly healthy for all of 2016, then we'll be a lot better....I'm sure that some of them will be healthier, but most or all of them being healthy for all of 2016 sounds pretty wishful to me.

Well yeah, if everybody who was injured in 2015 is suddenly healthy for all of 2016, then we'll be a lot better....I'm sure that some of them will be healthier, but most or all of them being healthy for all of 2016 sounds pretty wishful to me.

You don't need them all to be healthy to make up a lot of games. Those 5 guys combined for only ~7 fWAR. They'll probably be projected for close to double that next season.

Note also that needing to improve by 20 games is probably an exaggeration. They probably end the season close to 75 wins, and metrics other than final W/L record would say they're 10-15 behind the Royals.

Also, the replacements they get for Soria, Cespedes and Price probably won't be traded at the end of July.

Also, the replacements they get for Soria, Cespedes and Price probably won't be traded at the end of July.

Didn't they replace them with Norris/Boyd/Labourt/Jones/Fulmer/Cessa?

Didn't they replace them with Norris/Boyd/Labourt/Jones/Fulmer/Cessa?

I think he means it that whatever roster additions are made going into next year, they are unlikely to leave us with any top pieces that are prime deadline sales material.

I think he means it that whatever roster additions are made going into next year, they are unlikely to leave us with any top pieces that are prime deadline sales material.

I know that, I was being facetious.