kdog

The Red Sox have hired Dave Dombrowski as their president of baseball operations.

If Avila trades with Dave, I am sure the Tigers lose that trade. Don't do it Al

Actually, if I were Avila, I'd have paged him by now to see what he wants to give up for VMartinez & Moya.

It was interesting to me to see the reports on DD meeting with Wren a few weeks back while the Tigers were in Tampa plus the Ausmus quote after the game that his only surprise was that the Red Sox announcement didn't come sooner. Add those up and it smells more & more like this may have been the reason for the quick separation in Detroit with Ilitch's somewhat tepid press release.

If the reports of meetings are true, could this be construed as tampering and is there a chance to get a draft pick out of it?

If the reports of meetings are true, could this be construed as tampering and is there a chance to get a draft pick out of it?

I like your thinking here.

After Ilitch released him from his contract, I'm guessing any leverage for something like that disappeared.

What in the world happened to Sam Kennedy? It was reported by multiple sources (and I think announced) that he would be replacing Lucchino. I'm guessing that they have parc'ed up the responsibilities a bit to make a role for everyone. Boston seems to have a very top heavy front office format, with an unusual amount of executives.

Actually, if I were Avila, I'd have paged him by now to see what he wants to give up for VMartinez & Moya.

Too bad Victor cannot play 1B anymore

Why is everyone hating Moya recently? It's not like he was ever a great prospect. Hasn't he always been a guy with high upside but with a fairly small chance of reaching it?

Cherington leaving is pretty interesting, given he had the option to stay. But I guess you're a lame duck in that situation, not all that different from Randy Smith when DD joined Detroit. The conflicting analytics/traditional approach may have been a factor, although I somehow doubt this bothered DD. I suspect he's looking for more of a balanced approach and will try to keep some of the analytic foundation together.

Cherington, despite the wild variation in his results, is going to have some job opportunities based upon the 2013 world championship. Maybe Seattle or Milwaukee.

Why is everyone hating Moya recently? It's not like he was ever a great prospect. Hasn't he always been a guy with high upside but with a fairly small chance of reaching it?

I think you put that in the wrong thread. But yes. And in the Tiger's system, that makes him a top prospect.

Cherington leaving is pretty interesting, given he had the option to stay. But I guess you're a lame duck in that situation, not all that different from Randy Smith when DD joined Detroit. The conflicting analytics/traditional approach may have been a factor, although I somehow doubt this bothered DD. I suspect he's looking for more of a balanced approach and will try to keep some of the analytic foundation together.

The thing is, the analytical mindset of the Red Sox comes as much, if not more, from the ownership/executive level as it does the General Manager. Henry/Werner are extreme analytical types and rely excessively on their models (Carmine is the name of the model/system). The entire organization, driven by the ownership group that is very involved in day-to-day activities, has been heavily reliant on analytical approaches. Cherrington is going to get that label as well, based on his affiliation, but I suspect the likely extreme nature of that label will prove inaccurate when he lands with another organization.

What in the world happened to Sam Kennedy? It was reported by multiple sources (and I think announced) that he would be replacing Lucchino. I'm guessing that they have parc'ed up the responsibilities a bit to make a role for everyone. Boston seems to have a very top heavy front office format, with an unusual amount of executives.

I was looking at that last night. Kennedy said earlier he would be looking for an operations guy and that he wanted to delegate the day to day decisions. So will DD report to him?

I was looking at that last night. Kennedy said earlier he would be looking for an operations guy and that he wanted to delegate the day to day decisions. So will DD report to him?

What I have seen indicates that he reports directly to Henry and Werner. To me, that make DD the CEO, and Kennedy moot. But like I said, they have probably divided up responsibilities in a nuanced way to make room for everyone. Its a very top heavy organization.

Dombrowski, 59, will assume responsibility for all baseball operations matters, effective immediately, and report directly to Red Sox owner John Henry and to chairman Tom Werner.

Read more at: Dave Dombrowski Hired As Red Sox President Of Baseball Operations, Effective Immediately | Boston Red Sox | NESN.com

Cherington, despite the wild variation in his results, is going to have some job opportunities based upon the 2013 world championship. Maybe Seattle or Milwaukee.

Tho if they do hire Frank Wren as the GM, he's just as "old school/traditional" as DD, if not more so.

DD is said to be getting a raise and now only has to preside over baseball operations. Sounds like a good move for DD.

Best of luck Dave. Maybe we'll see you in the playoffs one year and hopefully you still won't have learned to put together a strong bullpen.

Gee, Toronto looked like such a slam dunk. I'm very surprised.

Pleasantly. I'm relieved. They would have been my worst possible outcome.

Its not that I hate him. I agree with you about his potential. I just hope some other team is more optimistic about his future and ponies up something useful for him.

And I don't hate VMartinez, but I absolutely hate his contract.

Will be an interesting offseason to watch. Boston and Detroit have similar needs: A rotation that needs a #1 or 2 pitcher + an innings eater + a bullpen overhaul.

DD will have more resources in $ and prospects to acquire them. Based on his press conference, I'd bet Boston lands one of the big 3 ace types. Good gig for him. And once again, he has 3 high paid 1b/DH types in Ortiz, Hanly and Panda. I bet he finds someone to take one of the latter two, even if he won't get an Ian Kinsler back.

Drew Sharp: Dave Dombrowski hiring leaves Detroit Tigers looking silly

I hate to say it but I agree with Drew Sharp.

I really do fear for the future of this franchise. I remember the Pre Dombrowski days. The organization was a joke. Not just because the team was bad... it went beyond that. It was a mickey mouse organization. It all started even before they officially owned the team when they made Monoghan fire Bo via fax, on the day of his wedding anniversary with his terminally ill wife.

Dombrowski gave the organization league wide credibility and stature. Now that's gone. I think they're selling.

Drew Sharp: Dave Dombrowski hiring leaves Detroit Tigers looking silly

I hate to say it but I agree with Drew Sharp.

I really do fear for the future of this franchise. I remember the Pre Dombrowski days. The organization was a joke. Not just because the team was bad... it went beyond that. It was a mickey mouse organization. It all started even before they officially owned the team when they made Monoghan fire Bo via fax, on the day of his wedding anniversary with his terminally ill wife.

Dombrowski gave the organization league wide credibility and stature. Now that's gone. I think they're selling.

I always feel dumber after listening to Drew Sharp.

Will be an interesting offseason to watch. Boston and Detroit have similar needs: A rotation that needs a #1 or 2 pitcher + an innings eater + a bullpen overhaul.

DD will have more resources in $ and prospects to acquire them. Based on his press conference, I'd bet Boston lands one of the big 3 ace types. Good gig for him. And once again, he has 3 high paid 1b/DH types in Ortiz, Hanly and Panda. I bet he finds someone to take one of the latter two, even if he won't get an Ian Kinsler back.

the Angels continue to slide and in disgust decide go for a big off-season rebuild. They and DD swing a 15 player 4 team deal that empties the Red Sox farm system to bring Trout to the Red Sox where DD promptly signs him to a 15 year 400 million dollar extension.