kdog

The Red Sox have hired Dave Dombrowski as their president of baseball operations.

Ben Cherington declined the opportunity to continue as general manager. He will assist in the transition.

It's funny that he takes over a team that currently has a worse bullpen than the Tigers.

Report out from Nightengale that Frank Wren will be his GM. It doesn't appear that he's going to raid the Tigers for his new gig.

Good for Dombrowski. Surprised it wound up being Boston...but that's likely the best option that would have been available under the circumstances and current teams.

In addition, despite the work he has done, it might have been time for a change in Detroit anyway. Close to 15 years doesn't happen too often anymore. I'm interested to see how Avila does.

But I'm more interested to see if the Illitches won't interfere, as they have been somewhat, and let Avila do what's best for this franchise. Otherwise, he's just a puppet as we sink deep into the ocean.

Report out from Nightengale that Frank Wren will be his GM. It doesn't appear that he's going to raid the Tigers for his new gig.

Wren worked for him in Fla.

I was hoping Dombrowski would go to a smaller market team. It would have been fun to see him build with a smaller budget.

Might be another component to this. His wife was an ESPN employee...might have friends in the backwaters of CT.

I've seen some chatter out there scratching their heads about DD as a match with Boston's analytics program. Maybe after this season they are looking for a different equilibrium.

I've seen some chatter out there scratching their heads about DD as a match with Boston's analytics program. Maybe after this season they are looking for a different equilibrium.

"Let's take a step backwards" isn't something Boston does.

Dombrowski seems like a bright enough guy where he could easily become more sabermetric oriented if that's what Henry wants.

I would imagine DD would be a great upper level/CEO type guy for any organization regardless of their style. It's the Wren hire that would be odd to me. I don't see how he fits in Boston at all

This is the worst possible outcome. I hate the red sox. Redsox fans are a blight on humanity.

Why wouldn't DD assume GM duties like he did in Detroit and hire a strong assistant GM? That seemed to work well for him here.

Surprising, I've always been under the (correct) impression that Frank Wren is a horrible GM

With their new OE% strategy, they plan on taking the saber world by storm, winning the next 10 world series titles.

Damn.

I was very seriously thinking that wherever DD went would instantly turn into my second- or third-favorite team.

This move is going to make that very difficult--if not impossible.

There's about five teams that would have made this difficult: Cubs, Boston, Yankees, White Sox, and Royals. I actually wouldn't even mind the White Sox that much, just because it would make them better than the Cubs, and I hate the Cubs so much that anything that pisses off their fans would be good, even if it means wins for a different team I dislike that's in the Tigers' division. :)