RedRamage

Lions, Ngata contract negotiations going well...

...which means I expect him to sign with the Dolphins in a week or so.

Lions' contract negotiations with Haloti Ngata going well - Pride Of Detroit

According to Rand Getlin of NFL Network, Detroit wants to have Ngata for more than the lone season remaining on his contract and is currently seeking an extension. Getlin reports that those talks seem to be going well so far.

Seriously though, I do hope they get a contract signed to provide some stability to the DL, but I also hope they don't go for broke in terms of money or length of deal. Ngata isn't a spring chicken anymore and I'd hope we can actually see him on the field before committing major dollars to him.

I think they'll work out something fair. 3/25 maybe?

I agree,we need the stability on the line and he's the only big time run plugger we have.

If we get this done, we'll have few holes going into 2016, but probably 30 mil in cap space and 11 draft picks. Me like

It sure would be nice to see how he looks before giving him an extension. Did how he got injured ever come out? I never read anything about it.

It sure would be nice to see how he looks before giving him an extension. Did how he got injured ever come out? I never read anything about it.

He's played 8 years or so in the league, plus the team has seen him at practice during the ota's. There is no reason to see him before signing. That is silly.

Then I'm silly, personally I'd like to see how he looks. He's older, coming from a new team, and is already injured.

I think I agree. He is getting quite old in the NFL world at his position. I'd rather risk him costing us more, or losing him than to over pay him before we see what he brings to the table. Practice is one thing, but can his body give us 14-16 quality regular season games a year?

I found this interesting:

When Does Age Catch Up to NFL Players? | Bleacher Report

Defensive Line

Though they're counterparts, you can see the increased role athleticism plays in defensive linemen: Peak AV gets higher and faster. There's less volatility in the peak and more volatility in the average, and the production drop-off from year 12 to year 15 is swift and shocking:

NFL_offensive_line_experience_original.png?1372336418

The extended line at the end is not one Jerry Rice, but two: Bruce Smith is responsible for the excellent year 17 and year 18 single data points, and Jim Marshall (whose consecutive-games record Brett Favre broke) was still going strong in his 19th and 20th seasons.

Only Marshall's last two years count, though, as they were 1978 and 1979!

Let's look at the experience distribution of qualifiers:

NFL_defensive_line_by_year_original.png?1372336470

The typically massive jump in starters from year one to year two is even more massive with defensive linemen. The greatest numbers of qualifiers are mostly flat from year three to year six, but years two and seven aren't far off the pace.

After a defensive lineman's seventh year in the NFL, his time is very, very short. Look at the huge drop-off in qualifying starters from year seven to year eight, and from year nine to year 10. The decline flattens for a while, as the best defensive linemen can stick around a very long time, but the quick development, long plateau and quick decline is obvious.

If the Lions do sign him, I hope it is because they see that he is looking to be at tip top shape, and not just the hope that he will return to his former self. We'll see, I'm glad he is here!!

Edited by belcherboy

I'm sure the Lions know the risks. My point about silliness is that the Lions have seen him. We don't have to see him.

So you're saying I should call the Lions back and retract my demand that I must see him play before they can give him a new contract?

So you're saying I should call the Lions back and retract my demand that I must see him play before they can give him a new contract?

You are correct.

Then I'm silly, personally I'd like to see how he looks. He's older, coming from a new team, and is already injured.

I'd either like to see him suit up or maybe a couple clauses in the contract to protect the Lions or performance clauses.

But we traded for him and don't mind increasing the guaranteed money a little bit to make him a happy Ngata. :)

Lets see him play before we offer him a longer contract. He's older, is slowing down, and is coming off injury and a ped suspension. Those arent great signs, imo.

I can't imagine the deal would include a particularly large signing bonus. I'm sure you'd only really be locked into him for a year. That said its not ridiculous to want to see him play a bit either.

Lets see him play before we offer him a longer contract. He's older, is slowing down, and is coming off injury and a ped suspension. Those arent great signs, imo.

Another KVB situation? He looked good for one season with the Lions and then things went downhill.

Another KVB situation? He looked good for one season with the Lions and then things went downhill.

But he's not a pass-rusher. His game isn't built on speed. Run-stopper.

Power, pure and simple. All he has to do is be big, powerful, and crush the LOS.

As long as he can avoid injuries, he should be effective for at least the next 3 +/- years or so.

I expect them to try and add 2 years to his contract. And I'm fine with Ngata signed for the next 3 years...

But he's not a pass-rusher. His game isn't built on speed. Run-stopper.

Power, pure and simple. All he has to do is be big, powerful, and crush the LOS.

As long as he can avoid injuries, he should be effective for at least the next 3 +/- years or so.

I expect them to try and add 2 years to his contract. And I'm fine with Ngata signed for the next 3 years...

True but he is 31 and IMHO, he will slow down, not be as good, etc. based on aging.

True but he is 31 and IMHO, he will slow down, not be as good, etc. based on aging.

Mathis has gotten better with age, maybe Ngata can too

Mathis has gotten better with age, maybe Ngata can too

The only explanation for Mathis has to be the hair.