Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Van Noy struggling early.

Even if Best looked like he could break off a run, he rarely did it, and ultimately we are judged on what we accomplish.

The narrative that Best made the offense better or was significant loss when he was out of the line-up does not appear to me to be reflected in the team's performance (with and without him).

I must not have liked him or something, because I frankly didn't think much of him as a player when he did play, and the last time I looked at the numbers did nothing to change my opinion. But I often hear how much he impacted games and opened up the offense.

His impact definitely got overstated, but he did average 4.6 ypc in his 2nd year and scored 9 total TDs in about 330 touches. That's not elite, but its not unimpactful either.

Yep. Just watched the game last night (recorded it), and Van Noy looked like a big goofy dog running around out there. He has the speed and size to always appear in the frame while someone else makes the play. Lost count of how many times he ran by the ballcarrier. Meanwhile, Lewis found ways to do far more with less. Maybe some day Van Noy will be a productive professional, but last night he looked way out of his league. And that against Washington's backups. Bust. Very frustrating.

Yep. Just watched the game last night (recorded it), and Van Noy looked like a big goofy dog running around out there. He has the speed and size to always appear in the frame while someone else makes the play. Lost count of how many times he ran by the ballcarrier. Meanwhile, Lewis found ways to do far more with less. Maybe some day Van Noy will be a productive professional, but last night he looked way out of his league. And that against Washington's backups. Bust. Very frustrating.

He looked really bad out there. He took bad angles towards the ball carrier and looked slow as molasses in January.

Not a big deal, he's a depth guy out there. Right now, the Lions are in great position with depth there, so the light will come on eventually. Last year was a lost year, so this isn't unexpected.

Not a big deal, he's a depth guy out there.

Let's not forget we traded up to pick him in the second round.

Not a big deal, he's a depth guy out there. Right now, the Lions are in great position with depth there, so the light will come on eventually. Last year was a lost year, so this isn't unexpected.

At what point does throwing 2nd round picks out the window become a big deal, I ask? Great, we don't need him at the moment, but there are positions on this team that could stand an infusion of the talent that one generally associates with 2nd round picks. I don't know that the light is any more likely to come on for Ebron than it has for any number of other 2nd round busts (not all of them ours). Before dismissing the impact of his bustiness (that can't be right, but I'm going with it) you may want to consider our playoff record, both recent and all-time/ We need players who can play. Van Noy cannot.

He looked really bad out there. He took bad angles towards the ball carrier and looked slow as molasses in January.

This is a reality-based post. I have high hopes for the Lions, same as you -- nice that we can also agree that there are some weak links/areas of concern. As Cruzer said, we don't really need him -- unless someone gets hurt. If he ever gets on the field for an actual game, I hope he looks nothing like the player I saw in last week's game.

I loved the Van Noy pick at draft time and thought it was their best pick of that draft, but now it's looking like yet another 2nd round clunker. Outside of Slay, has any team had worse 2nd round picks (or in Best's case, 2nd pick) than the Lions over the last 5 drafts? Sheesh

I loved the Van Noy pick at draft time and thought it was their best pick of that draft, but now it's looking like yet another 2nd round clunker. Outside of Slay, has any team had worse 2nd round picks (or in Best's case, 2nd pick) than the Lions over the last 5 drafts? Sheesh

What about Abdullah?

This is a reality-based post.

I will be more careful in the future, it's not an area I venture to very often.

What about Abdullah?

I meant the previous 5 drafts. The 2015 draftees are still unknowns.

What about Abdullah?

What about him? He literally has done nothing yet. Looked good doing it, but against the Jets. In the preseason. We have reason to think he'll be good, but we can hardly make the argument that he's already a good pick.

I think it's too early to make a judgement call on Van Noy.

It's premature to call him a bust. It's not looking great at the moment... but I'm going to wait and see. Some guys take until their 2nd or 3rd season before the light bulb turns on. And he essentially missed most/ all of last year so this is his "effective" rookie year.

Josh KatzensteinVerified account

‏@jkatzenstein

Kyle Van Noy underwent hip surgery early in offseason. Discovered injury during August core muscle surgery, but played through pain. #Lions

This makes sense, as I've had some hip issues lately, and mistook the hip pain for a hernia. Any injury to the hip is extremely painful, so I'm extremely empathetic towards Van Noy.

Josh KatzensteinVerified account

‏@jkatzenstein

Kyle Van Noy underwent hip surgery early in offseason. Discovered injury during August core muscle surgery, but played through pain. #Lions

This makes sense, as I've had some hip issues lately, and mistook the hip pain for a hernia. Any injury to the hip is extremely painful, so I'm extremely empathetic towards Van Noy.

No wonder he looked so bad trying to move around during the preseason. Hopefully it gets taken care of and he can come back and contribute, I was hoping he'd be useful as a pass rusher his rookie season.

I am actually happy he is hurt b/c if he wasn't than he was the worst player on the field healthy. Terrible angles, slow and just looked like he didn't belong on the field. Hope he gets straight cause that was just bad.

I'm trying to remember... was Van Noy injured this pre-season? For some reason I thought he was going to be out a number of games again, but then I thought I heard them call his name during a kick yesterday. If he's healthy, that's another unfortunate nail in his coffin if he can't be the number one backup to Levy.