RedRamage

Fulmer: 17 2/3 Scoreless innings

Fulmer made his first start for the Erie Seawolves yesterday pitching 6.2 innings. 6 Ks, 2 walkes, 2 hits. He gave up zero runs.

This is his third consecutive start without allowing a run.

In those three starts we gave up 11 hits and 3 walks (.792 WHIP) and struck out 24 (2.6 K/9).

Fulmer made his first start for the Erie Seawolves yesterday pitching 6.2 innings. 6 Ks, 2 walkes, 2 hits. He gave up zero runs.

This is his third consecutive start without allowing a run.

In those three starts we gave up 11 hits and 3 walks (.792 WHIP) and struck out 24 (2.6 K/9).

I think his K/9 > 2.6...

Yup.

Or 12.6 if you divide by 17.2 rather than 17.6667.

Ha, I was wondering what the goof up might be, that is it, and the preceding one omitted.

Wasn't he just moved up to AA a few starts ago ? No reason to push this kid this season !

No. He's got 86 innings in AA and 7 in A this season.

Blurb about him on BA the other day:

Brett Lew (Minneapolis, MN): The one player I have a hard time judging is Michael Fullmer. I had all but written him off coming into the year. Now I'm having a hard time figuring out his value in one of my keeper leagues that has a 10-player farm system. His story appears to be similar to Mike Montgomery and I'm not a huge fan of him. Right now I'm looking for a power armed SP who could have a high K-rate in the Majors to fill the void in my fantasy farm system left by the Severino and Owens call-ups. I guess I'm wondering what his upside is, when will he arrive, what is the most likely outcome of his career, what type of K-rate is he capable of achieving, and any comps you have.

Matt Eddy: Some contextual clues regarding new Tigers RHP Michael Fulmer (because I have covered him with the Mets since he was drafted). First, he was a well-regarded HS pitcher in Oklahoma in 2011 who got a bit lost in the shuffle because that was also the draft year for Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley. Second, his 2013 season was torpedoed by meniscus trouble early and more knee trouble late. Third, his 2014 performance needs to be adjusted for what turned out to be a poor St. Lucie defense (I believe they had lowest fielding pct in FSL). Fourth, Fulmer is quite possibly the best pitcher in the EL this year (he leads in ERA, AVG, SO/9). Fifth, I received *glowing* reports on Fulmer while researching the Mets midseason list this year: he sits 95 mph even late into starts, his ball is heavy, and he has a slider good enough to attack RHB and LHB. His delivery features effort but he’s physical and can shoulder a big workload. In other words, I would hang onto him.

Add another 6 IP to the scoreless streak.

Michael Fulmer extends shutout streak in 2nd win for Erie SeaWolves - Bless You Boys

23 2/3 innings. Impressive even if it's just Double-A. I saw one Q&A article a while back where the author was asked in Fulmer would be a Sept. call up... the writer didn't think so, figuring the Tigers would prefer to bring him up slowly. I imagine there's also something about call ups and arbitration clocks and all that that comes into play but I'm not very familiar with the business end of all of that.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in AAA just to see what he can do, but on the other hand maybe the Tigers figure there's no need to rush him and just let him get his work and confidence in in AA right now.

And the streak ends. Fulmer gave up a home run to lead off the second inning on the 16th. That means his streak ended at 24 and 2/3 innings.

Fulmer only threw four innings that game, giving up 3 runs total.