kdog

Dave Dombrowski released from contract, Al Avila takes over as GM VP of Baseball OPS

I think the notion that Illitch is somehow mentally incapable is laughable at best and agism at worse. Go on twitter with that ****.

FWIW, I didn't attribute this to his age...I attributed this to the fact that his first choice to run this team was Randy Smith. There's no guarantee he's making the right decisions as to who runs this team no matter what his age.

This is a pretty good write-up, and makes the most sense to me:

The Dombrowski Era Ends | New English D

If this is the right reading, then we come back around to my contention way back at the beginning of the thread that Ilitch's PR line about 'some success' might have been intended to be facetious. And I think we really do have to keep in mind under this scenario that Dave may have ended up the victim of some blow black from the Babcock situation in terms of Mike preferring him to go now if he was not going to re-sign so that the Tigers would not have to deal with the speculation that would swirl around him for the rest of the season.

I also have a feeling that if Dave really wanted out, the other teams looking for a new GM are going to be disappointed. I think if he wanted out of this gig it is because he will choose to do something else - league office, Olympics, who knows, but something different.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I also have a feeling that if Dave really wanted out, the other teams looking for a new GM are going to be disappointed. I think if he wanted out of this gig it is because he will choose to do something else - league office, Olympics, who knows, but something different.

I initially had that same thought. DD had a sweet setup here, holding title of CEO, President and GM with an owner willing to spend big. Why make a lateral move... Unless it is simply a matter of money. Ilitch may not want to give him 7 mil a year, but he should be able to find that in Anaheim (where they want to keep up with the Dodgers) or Boston or Toronto.

The way things have been going... Norris with one excellent start under his belt, Boyd getting his first tomorrow and Fulmer continuing his AA dominance in Erie, and not much competition in Detroit, I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 (and maybe Cessa too) in the show by September.

Yeah, I agree. We got 5 pitchers for 2 months of Price and a guy we can re-sign in November. Three of those were in AAA, and the one in AA is basically AAA-ready. TNSTAAPP, but if you're going to bet on guys, bet on them as high up in the minors as possible. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 2016 rotation of three of these guys plus Anibal and Verlander, with the fourth one plus Buck Farmer and maybe even Greene shoring up the bullpen with Alex Wilson, who we also have under control for 4 more years.

I think most likely, we will see another FA SP added, so we only need two of them to work out (and Verlander and Sanchez to return to some semblance of normal). But that's just one more guy we can throw into the mix for a complete bullpen overhaul.

When you add that in with our younger position players like JD, Iglesias, McCann, maybe Castellanos, Gose and whoever platoons with him, and then throw in Cabrera, Kinsler, and VMart, that's already a very solid core that will get you a winning team.

This team is not in that bad of shape moving forward.

Yeah, I agree. We got 5 pitchers for 2 months of Price and a guy we can re-sign in November. Three of those were in AAA, and the one in AA is basically AAA-ready. TNSTAAPP, but if you're going to bet on guys, bet on them as high up in the minors as possible. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 2016 rotation of three of these guys plus Anibal and Verlander, with the fourth one plus Buck Farmer and maybe even Greene shoring up the bullpen with Alex Wilson, who we also have under control for 4 more years.

I think most likely, we will see another FA SP added, so we only need two of them to work out (and Verlander and Sanchez to return to some semblance of normal). But that's just one more guy we can throw into the mix for a complete bullpen overhaul.

When you add that in with our younger position players like JD, Iglesias, McCann, maybe Castellanos, Gose and whoever platoons with him, and then throw in Cabrera, Kinsler, and VMart, that's already a very solid core that will get you a winning team.

This team is not in that bad of shape moving forward.

a lot we can be optimistic about with the pitching now, but the LH bat need is still out there and it's serious.

After sleeping on this the thing that really bothers me, is that neither Ilitch nor any member of the family was there. Dave was man enough to clean up the mess that he'd help create, Ilitch was not man enough to be there and take the heat as well. As if he were just an innocent on looker.

If Dave couldn't fix this franchise and get it a World Series championship, I don't think anybody could.

I don't think the lack of an ilitch family member being there means much.

First, mike is old. Maybe he wasn't feeling well.

Second, you don't just send some other ilitch. This is mike's team.

That makes sense. Having Chris is ok if Mike is there. Chris with no Mike is worse. Besides if Ilitch were there then all the focus and questions would be about what went down rather than Avila.

There are pluses / minuses to any press conference strategy, and it seems probable to me that how best to handle the conference was discussed and this was decided the best way to go for various reasons.

In summary, I think the no excuse for an Ilitch to not be there is a little overly simplistic.

I do think overall it would have been a better decision for Mike or Mike and Chris to be there if Mike was capable of handling the thing. But I don't have any sort of insight into the factors that played into that decision and I can easily imagine a plausible set of circumstances where it was defensible for Mike to not be there, and they decided Chris alone was a worse option than no Ilitch.

I think the thing that's not being talked about which is a primary, if not the primary, reason for the split is reporting structure.

If you're an in demand executive such as DD you know you are going to get paid and he's also savvy enough to know what his going rate will be +/- 15% based on other market signings in front offices. So the choice comes down to working environment where the biggest factor is who you work for - DD is mostly likely looking at signing a contract for 5 years a and I wonder how much concern he had for what life would be like on that contract without Mr. I around. I have no doubt that Mr I is still in charge and I believe he has been a great owner for Detroit sports teams.. That's what worries me most though going forward; that those that are close to the inner workings of Olympia have concerns on leadership up top when the inevitable transition happens.

I hope Mr I keeps running things for 10 years and things end up great even if it transitions to his family but leadership above the GM is also critical to what happens within a sports team. However, it's possible this isn't a good sign on confidence for that leadership within the executive branch.

No matter what, I wake up this morning with less confidence moving forward than I did yesterday. I hope AA kicks butt and it is great to see a longtime exec get his chance thought.

The press release has made things unnecessarily confusing and probably has caused people on both sides to blame the party they feel is "responsible," which is not fair to whichever one actually wasn't responsible. It would have been easy enough for the press release to read "Dave and I enjoyed many years of great success together, but we've mutually agreed that it is now time to part ways" or "We've had a great run together, but I have decided to relieve Dave of his duties in order to head in a new direction" or "Dave has asked for, and I have granted, his release from his contract."

One of those three things happened, so the press release should have made it crystal clear which one occurred. Instead, everyone's been trying to pussyfoot around the issue or speculate about what might have happened, and it's created a whole new bit of drama that could – and should – have been avoided. Any good PR firm would have provided the same recommendation, but the Tigers (Illitch) apparently chose not to involve their PR staff in any meaningful way or simply overlooked their recommendations so that Illitch could do things his way (my guess).

Perhaps because Illitch decided to do things his own way and wanted to take a little jab at Dave on his way out the door, or perhaps because he was trying to cover for him a bit, I don't know. But had this been handled a little more transparently, we wouldn't have this drama and I think we'd all feel a little better, whatever the truth was.

Expect DD to have a press conference or interview soon... unless he's interviewing already with clubs.

As for timing.... don't discount the start of the school year. His son is about my son's age and he's starting HS so Landon may be at that point where maybe they wanted someplace fresh at the beginning of the year. He struck me as a Cranbrook type.

My confidence hasn't really changed much, at least in the near future. I thought that Dave's strong point was knowing when to cut bait with prospects to maximize their value. And I would imagine that Avila and the scouting department had just as much to do with that.

And most of his free agent signings and trade targets were no Brainers. Aside from Peralta and maybe Fister, its not like he was picking up guys that no other GM would try to get in our situation.

I'm not trying to downplay his importance to the franchise but I just think that the current staff is capable of doing the same things.

Edit: forgot about the Scherzer trade. When I was thinking trades, I was focusing on deadline deals so that one completely slipped my mind. Definitely deserves praise for that one.

Edited by RandyMarsh

If Dave couldn't fix this franchise and get it a World Series championship, I don't think anybody could.

Dave built a contending team, which is all any GM can do. There's no such thing as building a championship-level team.

Oh my word I wanted to strangled the WBBL morning guys on my drive in! This story of course was one of the big things they were talking about... But all three of the guys kept saying Av-u-la insteaf of Avila.

The stupidest thing is that one of that said: Al Av-u-la, father of Alex Avila, will be the new GM.

Then Grey kept saying Alex Av-u-la instead of Al when talking about the GM. It was really annoying.

The press release has made things unnecessarily confusing and probably has caused people on both sides to blame the party they feel is "responsible," which is not fair to whichever one actually wasn't responsible. It would have been easy enough for the press release to read "Dave and I enjoyed many years of great success together, but we've mutually agreed that it is now time to part ways" or "We've had a great run together, but I have decided to relieve Dave of his duties in order to head in a new direction" or "Dave has asked for, and I have granted, his release from his contract."

I agree with this.

Setting aside the question of whether Ilitch should have been there, I do think a clearer press release should have been in order.

Then Grey kept saying Alex Av-u-la instead of Al when talking about the GM. It was really annoying.

Michael Grey is only one rung above Bill Simonson in sports radio hell.

Ilitch is a smart man.......Letting Dave go and figuring he'll get his next job with the Royals.........to implode their bullpen.

Al does pronounce it differently than Alex. Al says "AVV-eela" and Alex says "Ah-VEE-la." I think the former can tend to sound like "Av-u-la" if you let it. It's kinda funny that they say it differently. I've heard them both interviewed about it in the past.

Expect DD to have a press conference or interview soon... unless he's interviewing already with clubs.

As for timing.... don't discount the start of the school year. His son is about my son's age and he's starting HS so Landon may be at that point where maybe they wanted someplace fresh at the beginning of the year. He struck me as a Cranbrook type.

df5a12cd812d788b8345611f5a8d426f4ac35fae4cf2a9abef0b1b4b18b11fb0.jpg

That makes sense. Having Chris is ok if Mike is there. Chris with no Mike is worse. Besides if Ilitch were there then all the focus and questions would be about what went down rather than Avila.

Yes. The purpose of the press conference was not to get a blow by blow of why mike fired Dave. If ilitch is there the focus becomes mike and Dave.

It was noted this morning on the radio that at the press conference he was introduced with same pronunciation as Alex, rather than we we used to hear for Al. I can't put phonetically on here.

But it was also noted that the family pronounced it the "Al" way all along but it wasn't until Alex got to college that the college people pronounced it the new way so they just stuck with it as a professional.

If DD was fired as some surmise, then Mr. Illitch has a strange way of showing it. Hiring his right hand man who worked with DD for 24 years and keeping the rest of the staff the same isn't what most people would do when they fire a guy who they are unhappy with. They would make a lot more wholesale changes.

Many examples to the contrary. Just look next door to ford field, Mayhew was under Millen.