kdog

Dave Dombrowski released from contract, Al Avila takes over as GM VP of Baseball OPS

Now we know why the clubhouse was closed.

Edited by kdog

Now we know why the clubhouse was closed.

DD up, or out?...OUT

Edited by Gehringer_2

Dave is done.

Released from his contract

Mike Ilitch: I've decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities.

Wondering if this is at his request or not.

Guess we'll probably know when we see where he resurfaces. Though if he were going to the league office, you might think it would be a simultaneous announcement.

Guess we'll probably know when we see where he resurfaces. Though if he were going to the league office, you might think it would be a simultaneous announcement.

@BNightengale 7m7 minutes ago

Mike Ilitch on Dombrowski: I feel this is the right time for the Tigers to move forward under new leadership.”

The only reason I can think it happened this suddenly is that other teams were inquiring and Dave asked for his release. Although he's not quoted in the release so that is telling.

@jonmorosi 37s38 seconds ago

Mike Ilitch statement: "I’ve decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him time to pursue other career opportunities."

The trolls may have to get a little creative to make a pun off of avila's name. "Dumbrowski" was tee'd up like a Shane Greene fastball for them.

James Schmehl

‏@jamesschmehl

There's no quote provided by Dave Dombrowski in the #Tigers' press release announcing the move. That's pretty telling, in my opinion.

If Dombrowski was effectively fired, I wonder if it's because Ilitch had second thoughts about selling at the deadline. Seems like I recall that Dave was the one wanting to sell, and he had to convince Ilitch to go along.

This is just breaking!!! What is going on? Reporter on radio saying DD was crying. Ilitch released him from duties.

Holy ****, I did not see this one coming.

At least there's continuity of a sort. I wonder what this means for the direction that the team goes in.

The only reason I can think it happened this suddenly is that other teams were inquiring and Dave asked for his release. Although he's not quoted in the release so that is telling.

there were rumors about Toronto I think. Still the timing this late in the season is weird. Maybe after the approving it Mr I still got ticked off that DD wanted to pull the plug on this season? Who knows?

EDIT: HaHa - ditto Clark

The quote from Avila that "we believe we can win this year" tells me that this was 100% an Illitch call, and Avila is not reciting the company line.

Gordon Edes(ESPN Boston): Source tells him the Red Sox are not pursuing DD.

The timing of this suggests either Ilitch and Dombrowski had a recent falling out, or Dombrowski asked to be released from his contract to pursue an opportunity that has already presented itself.

So when they grab the wildcard after the game 163 playoff, and then storm to a World Series title, does Dave get a ring?

Now Alex Avila will never leave. Literally that kid in little league whose dad is the coach.

only took 20 minutes to rehash this old bit.