Sign in to follow this  
Todd

Tigers Vs, Buco's round 3

DETROIT (Ticker) -- The Detroit Tigers hope to win consecutive games for the first time in almost three weeks on Sunday when they close out a three-game interleague series against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Detroit has just two wins in its last 10 games and has not put together two consecutive victories since beating the Montreal Expos on June 10-11.

The Tigers snapped a four-game losing streak Saturday with a 2-1 triumph as Jeff Weaver allowed one run in 7 2/3 innings. Detroit is 6-11 in interleague play this season.

Rookie Mike Maroth (1-1, 3.86 ERA) makes his fifth start for the Tigers. Maroth did not receive a decision in his last start, but it was his worst one as he was pounded for five runs and eight hits in 2 2/3 innings of Tuesday's 8-6 defeat at Kansas City.

The 24-year-old lefthander has split two starts against National League teams, defeating the Arizona Diamondbacks and losing to the Atlanta Braves.

Kris Benson (1-4, 7.03) comes off his first win of the season. The righthander, who missed the entire 2001 season after undergoing surgery on his pitching elbow last May, allowed one run and six hits over five-plus innings in Tuesday's 4-1 victory over the Montreal Expos.

Benson had gone more than five innings only one time this season before his last start. He has never faced the Tigers.

The Pirates have lost eight of their last 11 and 11 of the past 15 overall and are 2-9 against American League foes this season. However, they have won each of their last three Sunday games on the road.

Pittsburgh's designated hitters have two hits in interleague action this season.

Pittsburgh Pirates

Batter

Kendall C

Wilson, J SS

Giles LF

Ramirez 3B

Young 1B

Wilson, C DH

Mackowiak RF

Reese 2B

Hermansen CF

Detroit Tigers

Batter

Santiago SS

Easley 2B

Paquette 1B

Young DH

Fick RF

Inge C

Magee CF

Truby 3B

Lombard LF

Kendall flies out to center,j wilson walks, Giles pops out, Ramirez lines out to short, 0-0 mid 1st

Santiago grounds out, Easley grounds out, Paquette grounds out. 0-0 after 1

lombard triples with one of but gets cut down trying for home after easley gets caught in a run down still 2-0 pirates after 7

When it gets to the point where your win total starts to match your "behind first place" total, you know you are screwed.

In 1996 I thought "It can't get any worse"

In 1999 I thought "It can't get any worse"

In 2001 I thought "It can't get any worse"

In 2002 I think "It can't get any worse"

In case anyone watched the game.......I was in the first row right behind home plate from the 8th inning on.

I had on a white hat and sunglasses. (not that that matters any)