Yoda

Cespedes to Mets

I think they'll add one good starter and hope that two of the young guys can hold down the last two spots. If not, then they'll have trade ammunition at the deadline next year. It's really important that Verlander pitches very well down the stretch. If not, then the off-season becomes more difficult.

Add Kazmir/Clippard/O'Day/Blevins and the pitching side looks great. Okay, that's too good to actually happen, but they do have $.

I think they'll add one good starter and hope that two of the young guys can hold down the last two spots. If not, then they'll have trade ammunition at the deadline next year. It's really important that Verlander pitches very well down the stretch. If not, then the off-season becomes more difficult.

This is my thought as well. All of this had to be done but DD or whomever better be more serious than he was last spring when he sent the team north gambling on Simon, Greene, Nathan, Rondon, etc. And I really hope he's not going to try to cut corners with LF.

My thinking exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys get dealt during the offseason as well.

As for free agent signings, other than Sanchez, an in-house option, what other starting pitchers has DD signed as a free agent? He never pursues the really big fish, which is probably wise. I can think of Kenny Rogers and a few other marginal guys. Probably someone I'm missing. But I would expect a Leake or Latos type. I'd really like Kazmir or Zimmerman (although he's one of the few guys who would require a draft pick). That whole draft pick thing really screws some of these guys. MLB needs to fix that.

I'm still not counting out Greene as well. This is a lost year for him but hopefully in the offseason he can figure out what happened and return to his 2014 form.

I really hope they bring Cespedes back. If they could do that I'm pretty happy with our positional roster if left alone from that point. Will need to replace Davis as a platoon cf, but that shouldn't be too terrible.

Then they could concentrate on some pitching. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of these prospects get moved to add a starter, but the fa pool is interesting as well. Both cueto and price will be fa with no draft picks tied to them. If we ended up in the top ten of the draft greinke becomes an option as well. That would be three legit aces available to bid on, not to mention a pretty good class of #2-3 starter fas.

My thinking exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys get dealt during the offseason as well.

As for free agent signings, other than Sanchez, an in-house option, what other starting pitchers has DD signed as a free agent? He never pursues the really big fish, which is probably wise. I can think of Kenny Rogers and a few other marginal guys. Probably someone I'm missing. But I would expect a Leake or Latos type. I'd really like Kazmir or Zimmerman (although he's one of the few guys who would require a draft pick). That whole draft pick thing really screws some of these guys. MLB needs to fix that.

Yep, historically, DD dishes out contracts to position players quicker than pitchers. Well, since the debacle of the Robertson/Bonderman 2007 extensions. The only thing of significance since then has been JV and Anibal.

They might sniff around the in-between guys this off-season tho, the guys that will get $40-$60M or so. Maybe Shark, he will probably get more but he fits the tiger power righty profile. They wouldn't be afraid to go after Kazmir either, even tho he is a bit older.

I get the sense that other fanbases think the Tigers are over and done with for a few years at least. I honestly believe they will come back next year and be better than ever. There is no alternative IMO. They didn't sign JV and Miggy to those contracts if they didn't intend to be winners for a long while.

These moves guarantee the Tigers won't be the Phillies anytime soon.

That whole draft pick thing really screws some of these guys. MLB needs to fix that.

I disagree. It's one of the few things that helps the smaller markets compete in the absence of a salary cap.

And if we end up picking in the top ten it wouldn't matter to us anyhow. And with our subtractions I think that is a real possibility.

Probably, and I think that is a mistake. They really need two SP. One pretty decent one, and the second an innings eater at a minimum.

A lot will depend on what we see the final 2 months. Specifically out of Norris and Lobstein. If both those guys look good for next year, they'll only get 1. If neither, they'll probably look for 2.

Yep, historically, DD dishes out contracts to position players quicker than pitchers. Well, since the debacle of the Robertson/Bonderman 2007 extensions. The only thing of significance since then has been JV and Anibal.

They might sniff around the in-between guys this off-season tho, the guys that will get $40-$60M or so. Maybe Shark, he will probably get more but he fits the tiger power righty profile. They wouldn't be afraid to go after Kazmir either, even tho he is a bit older.

As a general rule signing fa pitchers to mega deals is a losing proposition. They very rarely work out in the teams favor.

Jv is, and was, excusable because he's a homegrown talent that has a chance at a statue when he retires. He is the face of this tigers era of good teams and worth far more to the club than just his on field performance.

Signing $200 million pitchers is no way to build a winner though. I'm fine with the way dd has avoided it.

Why are we so sure that Cespedes will sign with the Tigers? That seems like an optimistic assumption given the way the business of baseball works. Unless Cespedes thinks he's got all the money he needs and likes the Tigers and playing in Detroit, this seems like a stretch.

A lot will depend on what we see the final 2 months. Specifically out of Norris and Lobstein. If both those guys look good for next year, they'll only get 1. If neither, they'll probably look for 2.

I'd rather have two regardless of how Norris pitches this year. We know who Lobstein is, and the injury doesn't make me think I can pencil him in as an innings eater in 2016. I want to work from a position of strength and have rotation depth. We know what it is like to not have it. And if we have excess, we can always trade a guy next July. But lets make sure we get to that point without any shortages or growing pains from using 2/5ths a rotation of question marks. Heck, bring back Simon on a cheap deal because we know he can throw the innings, but no one will be upset if we just pull the plug and stick him in the bullpen because Boyd or Fulmer is ready for a rotation spot mid-2016.

Why are we so sure that Cespedes will sign with the Tigers? That seems like an optimistic assumption given the way the business of baseball works. Unless Cespedes thinks he's got all the money he needs and likes the Tigers and playing in Detroit, this seems like a stretch.

True. If the Tigers pay 20 million + a year for a player this off-season, I would prefer it be for a pitcher.

I disagree. It's one of the few things that helps the smaller markets compete in the absence of a salary cap.

And if we end up picking in the top ten it wouldn't matter to us anyhow. And with our subtractions I think that is a real possibility.

It may be fair in terms of competitive balance but it's unfair to the free agent, who through no fault of his own must market himself encumbered by a loss of draft pick. That's ******** and has to cost him some money on the open market

As a general rule signing fa pitchers to mega deals is a losing proposition. They very rarely work out in the teams favor.

Jv is, and was, excusable because he's a homegrown talent that has a chance at a statue when he retires. He is the face of this tigers era of good teams and worth far more to the club than just his on field performance.

Signing $200 million pitchers is no way to build a winner though. I'm fine with the way dd has avoided it.

I don't see us in the mega-pitcher market. If we were, we likely would have extended Price.

There is a sweet spot in that 2nd tier though, where guys are nearly as good as the 1st Tier, but cost about half the price. Guys like Shields and Annibal Sanchez. I'd look at Latos and Leake and Gallardo. Or a Shields trade, if it's mostly a salary dump.

The bad news is that we won't be getting any more prospects. The good news is that we can still trade guys by putting them on waivers.

Now would be a great time to see if anyone would take a flyer on Verlander's contract. ;-)

Who is sure about that? I think it's a situation where a reunion is possible. However I doubt that LF is a priority entering this winter until after we address the rotation and maybe bullpen. But it seems like the parting was on good terms and there could be mutual desire to talk this winter. And he's a player who might be in our payroll range, probably unlike Price. That's about all you can ask for.

I don't see us in the mega-pitcher market. If we were, we likely would have extended Price.

There is a sweet spot in that 2nd tier though, where guys are nearly as good as the 1st Tier, but cost about half the price. Guys like Shields and Annibal Sanchez. I'd look at Latos and Leake and Gallardo. Or a Shields trade, if it's mostly a salary dump.

I disagree. If they had signed Price to an extension, they would not have gotten the much needed prospects. Now they can sign an elite pitcher in the off-season and have a re-stocked system as well. Who knows? Price could be the one they re-sign.

The bad news is that we won't be getting any more prospects. The good news is that we can still trade guys by putting them on waivers.

Prospects sometimes change hands in August, though clearly not in the same way as they do at the deadline. We weren't getting premium guys for Avila, Rajai, or Simon anyways.

And so what, at 3.5 games out of the wild card, lets keep them for 10 to 14 days and see what happens.

I'd rather have two regardless of how Norris pitches this year. We know who Lobstein is, and the injury doesn't make me think I can pencil him in as an innings eater in 2016. I want to work from a position of strength and have rotation depth. We know what it is like to not have it. And if we have excess, we can always trade a guy next July. But lets make sure we get to that point without any shortages or growing pains from using 2/5ths a rotation of question marks. Heck, bring back Simon on a cheap deal because we know he can throw the innings, but no one will be upset if we just pull the plug and stick him in the bullpen because Boyd or Fulmer is ready for a rotation spot mid-2016.

I would like to have 2 as well, but I think I'd rather sign Ces and 1 pitcher than no-Ces and 2 pitchers. And then use the remainder of the budget on 2-3 guys for the bullpen bullpen and maybe a couple million on a 4th OF.

I don't think you could squeeze any more than that into the probable budget. Unless you're talking about Simon at $5M or something for 1 year as the 2nd guy, although not sure how much he counts.

Prospects sometimes change hands in August, though clearly not in the same way as they do at the deadline. We weren't getting premium guys for Avila, Rajai, or Simon anyways.

And so what, at 3.5 games out of the wild card, lets keep them for 10 to 14 days and see what happens.

Yeah, there is nothing stopping us from getting prospects in an August trade. That's pretty common actually. Guys that aren't on the 40 man don't have to clear waivers to be traded.

I disagree. If they had signed Price to an extension, they would not have gotten the much needed prospects. Now they can sign an elite pitcher in the off-season and have a re-stocked system as well. Who knows? Price could be the one they re-sign.

I think the Tigers will have about $40 million to spend, presuming no significant increase in payroll next year. Doubtful they will spend around $28-$30 of that on Price or Cueto. But I could see them spending $18-20 million of it on a 2nd tier SP.

I would like to have 2 as well, but I think I'd rather sign Ces and 1 pitcher than no-Ces and 2 pitchers. And then use the remainder of the budget on 2-3 guys for the bullpen bullpen and maybe a couple million on a 4th OF.

I don't think you could squeeze any more than that into the probable budget. Unless you're talking about Simon at $5M or something for 1 year as the 2nd guy, although not sure how much he counts.

Maybe you are right... But then I sure hope they go out and get Beachy. His 2016 option will only be 3.5 million if they stick him in the bullpen for the rest of 2015 (it increases with number of starts). Just another possible option for next year and 3.5 million shouldn't break the bank either way.

I can't think of a good reason for this not to happen. Other than money. Obviously.

Reasons for Ces to not come back?

1. City of Detroit. Better than Havana, but it's not Boston or Frisco. Detroit's a little rough.

2. Termperature - Like Jack Lemmon, Some Like it Hot.

3. Mgr

We did let him play LF only which is good I suppose.

I suppose I can always remember now that we got Cessa for Ces. But not Price for Prince.