Yoda

Cespedes to Mets

And getting on base more than any one else.

Which former poster/troll are you?

Remember Cookies? Or could be the person formerly known as Grapes. or both.

From fangraphs re: Fulmer:

This would probably put him in our top 2-4 with Hill, Burrows.

But he also sticks to his Joba Chamberlain comp, so....glass half empty.

EDIT to add:

I know Joba sucked here, but I still think if the Yankees handled him correctly he could've been a decent Starting pitcher. THey just kept moving him back and forth from starting to relieving and I think it screwed him up. Early on he had some of the most electric stuff I've ever seen from a starting pitcher.

It really hurts to see us not be a competitor this year. Hurts my pride. But we seem to be getting decent returns, and will have a totally new Top 10 prospects list at the start of next season. The good thing is that a lot of these guys are either in AA or AAA, and could conceivably contribute pretty soon.

The fact that we got two good pitchers for Cespedes is amazing. He doesn't have a draft pick attached, so we didn't have as much leverage when trading him. It would be cool to get these two guys for him, and then re-sign him anyway in the off-season. I really like how he plays.

Chris McCosky ‏@cmccosky 34s35 seconds ago View translation

Fulmer to Erie. Cessa to Toledo

It really hurts to see us not be a competitor this year. Hurts my pride. But we seem to be getting decent returns, and will have a totally new Top 10 prospects list at the start of next season. The good thing is that a lot of these guys are either in AA or AAA, and could conceivably contribute pretty soon.

The fact that we got two good pitchers for Cespedes is amazing. He doesn't have a draft pick attached, so we didn't have as much leverage when trading him. It would be cool to get these two guys for him, and then re-sign him anyway in the off-season. I really like how he plays.

I agree with this. I can't help but have mixed feelings about all these deals. They had to do this because they are losers this year, but they did add some good prospects to an empty system. I also like that they are mostly upper level guys, so we can find out about them quickly. This should make off-season building easier.

I don't even think they could have gotten much more for Cespedes if he had the draft pick attached. Fulmer and Cessa are clearly worth more than the value of the pick would have been.

@anthonyfenech 1m1 minute ago

About next season, Dombrowski said, "Our starting pitching will need to be addressed in the wintertime."

I know Joba sucked here, but I still think if the Yankees handled him correctly he could've been a decent Starting pitcher. THey just kept moving him back and forth from starting to relieving and I think it screwed him up. Early on he had some of the most electric stuff I've ever seen from a starting pitcher.

It seems he was definitely mis-handled. IIRC he initially went to the bullpen so they could limit his innings. He was great in the pen but they moved him to SP the next year and then back to the pen.....he was never really the same. Fulmer shouldn't have those issues with the Tigers so that's good.

Wow.

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason 10m10 minutes ago

Dombrowski: “We must have had at least 20 conversations with Sandy Alderson today.” Mets didn’t want to part with Fulmer until today.

Cessa was having a terrific season in AA. He got promoted to the high alt, hitter paradise of the PCL and his numbers soared. I look forward to seeing what he can do in Toledo.

It seems he was definitely mis-handled. IIRC he initially went to the bullpen so they could limit his innings. He was great in the pen but they moved him to SP the next year and then back to the pen.....he was never really the same. Fulmer shouldn't have those issues with the Tigers so that's good.

That was kind of a dark time in MLB, with the way that teams didn't know how to treat their pitching prospects.

About next season, Dombrowski said, "Our starting pitching will need to be addressed in the wintertime."

Yeo i thinking free agent and possibly moving a new guy along with hill and moya and maybe turnbull for a high end guy. A staff of jv anubal, free agent, trade guy and norris would be nice.

Cessa was having a terrific season in AA. He got promoted to the high alt, hitter paradise of the PCL and his numbers soared. I look forward to seeing what he can do in Toledo.

K and walk rates were fine though. Proabably just got tagged in a couple of games then settled down, if I had to guess.

So sweet...

@BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago

When the #Tigers traded Cespedes to #Mets, they parted ways believing they'll be reunited again this winter

So sweet...

When the #Tigers traded Cespedes to #Mets, they parted ways believing they'll be reunited again this winter

I like it.

I do think they add at least one starter, probably someone from the deep FA class. A 2nd or third tier guy, I'm expecting.

We'll see how Norris develops over the season. It could be he in the 4 spot, one of the new guys + Lobstein/Greene/Farmer for that 5 spot.

K and walk rates were fine though. Proabably just got tagged in a couple of games then settled down, if I had to guess.

He and the Labourt guy seem like kids that you keep starting in the minor leagues because they have talent and need innings, but probably will come up to MLB as relief pitchers when they are ready.

He and the Labourt guy seem like kids that you keep starting in the minor leagues because they have talent and need innings, but probably will come up to MLB as relief pitchers when they are ready.

Well I'm no expert, but when you look at Labourt, with his body type he can't be anything but a reliever in the majors. Even his movement on the mound, it all screams reliever.

Yeah, rates look good. Excited to see how he does in a more reasonable AAA ballpark/league.

Question is by who?

So sweet...

I can't think of a good reason for this not to happen. Other than money. Obviously.

Cespedes fit in here, hit RHP well, and played outstanding defense. Among outfielders, he's top 20 bat and top 5-10 glove. And if he indeed supposedly likes Detroit as much as Price supposedly didn't, it's a match.

So sweet...

Awesome to hear.

I think they'll add one good starter and hope that two of the young guys can hold down the last two spots. If not, then they'll have trade ammunition at the deadline next year. It's really important that Verlander pitches very well down the stretch. If not, then the off-season becomes more difficult.

I think they'll add one good starter and hope that two of the young guys can hold down the last two spots. If not, then they'll have trade ammunition at the deadline next year. It's really important that Verlander pitches very well down the stretch. If not, then the off-season becomes more difficult.

Probably, and I think that is a mistake. They really need two SP. One pretty decent one, and the second an innings eater at a minimum.