Yoda

Cespedes to Mets

I miss VORP. What ever happened to it? Replaced by WAR? It disappeared about the time people realized Cruzer was a girl. Coincidence?

Back in the glory days circa 2004 the team picked up a minor league free agent, maybe Warren Morris, and someone here said "He puts the R in VORP".

Back in the glory days circa 2004 the team picked up a minor league free agent, maybe Warren Morris, and someone here said "He puts the R in VORP".

That's gold, Jerry.

From the NY Post:

Cespedes' representatives and the Mets have changed the clause in his contract, which originally required him to be signed within five days of the end of the World Series or not be able to be signed by the team until May 15, Joel Sherman of the NY Post reports.

This change allows the Mets to negotiate with him like the other 29 teams and try and sign him as a free agent. Despite this alteration, the Mets may not be willing to sign him, as Cespedes is expected to sign a multi-year deal somewhere between $130-175 million.

From the NY Post:

Cespedes' representatives and the Mets have changed the clause in his contract, which originally required him to be signed within five days of the end of the World Series or not be able to be signed by the team until May 15, Joel Sherman of the NY Post reports.

This change allows the Mets to negotiate with him like the other 29 teams and try and sign him as a free agent. Despite this alteration, the Mets may not be willing to sign him, as Cespedes is expected to sign a multi-year deal somewhere between $130-175 million.

That's really odd. I mean I guess a contract can be altered by the two parties in pretty much any situation at any time, but it seems strange to hear this now.

It's really a smart move by Cespedes's reps to do that. It includes the Mets, and allows Yoenis to reach the market.

I'm still surprised it was even worded that way in the first place.

I'd be very interested to see the original language. I still can't believe they would have negotiated for a release instead of a non-tender in the first place.

But I'm also surprised that MLB would allow such a contract modification.

I'm still surprised it was even worded that way in the first place.

I'd be very interested to see the original language. I still can't believe they would have negotiated for a release instead of a non-tender in the first place.

But I'm also surprised that MLB would allow such a contract modification.

I think that forbidding a team to make a qualifying offer is against the rules. I think releasing a player in the off-season means you can't make a qualifying offer (obviously), and also as a side-effect can't re-sign the player until May 15 (don't quote me on that). So the mid-season trade made the release clause irrelevant to its original purpose, and getting rid of it gets rid of the unwanted side-effect.

I'm guessing arbitration doesn't come into play at all with veteran foreign free agents. But I'm not sure on that either.

I think that forbidding a team to make a qualifying offer is against the rules. I think releasing a player in the off-season means you can't make a qualifying offer (obviously), and also as a side-effect can't re-sign the player until May 15 (don't quote me on that). So the mid-season trade made the release clause irrelevant to its original purpose, and getting rid of it gets rid of the unwanted side-effect.

I'm guessing arbitration doesn't come into play at all with veteran foreign free agents. But I'm not sure on that either.

That's not really what the contract language was about. The issue was that he signed a 4 year deal, and he wouldn't have gone to free agency at all after it expired because he's only have 4 years of service time, at most. So in order to get free agency, they needed a mechanism to get there. Obviously a release is one way. Non tendering is the other. In both cases, a qualifying offer is not possible.

Free agency from a non tender doesn't occur until early December.

If you want free agency when the other free agents declare, you need to be released. But being released during that period does prevent the releasing team from re-signing the player until May.

With all the hype he is getting now I wonder what it's gonna take to get him. I'm sure he is going to get overpaid big time.

The way he has played since the trade, he's upped his price tag by what...$50 million? You have to pay him an additional $8 million, over 6 years?

Did you know... he and Kinsler have about the same WAR this year (6.0, 5.8).

Ian might be one of the most underrated players in baseball.

Edited by Yoda

Did you also know... Kinsler is going to have a higher WAR than Cabrera for the 2nd year in a row.

Did you know... he and Kinsler have about the same WAR this year (6.0, 5.8).

Kinsler is having a criminally underrated season. Not to beat a dead horse but it's too bad we don't still have Travis cause with the year Kinsler had and his contract I'm sure we could get a good return for him. Of course without a solid 2B to take his place it wouldn't be worth it.

Kinsler is having a criminally underrated season. Not to beat a dead horse but it's too bad we don't still have Travis cause with the year Kinsler had and his contract I'm sure we could get a good return for him. Of course without a solid 2B to take his place it wouldn't be worth it.

Yup. Tootblans and popups aside, he's a lot of fun to watch. And we have him for 3 more seasons.

Yup. Tootblans and popups aside, he's a lot of fun to watch. And we have him for 3 more seasons.

Good thing they didn't trade him like all the salary scolds wanted last winter!

Good thing they didn't trade him like all the salary scolds wanted last winter!

He's about to become extremely cheap too. A 7 WAR player should make roughly 21MM. He's getting 14, 11, and 12 the next 3 seasons.

Yeah I think the current market is paying like 6 mill a win right?

That would be 42 million... I thought it was around 3. 21 seems pretty realistic.