Yoda

Cespedes to Mets

I'd give Cespedes 7/140....it's not any dumber than giving Prince 9/214. in fact, I think it would be a genius move compared to that deal

Your argument is walking a tight line. That he's good enough that he'll be great in our lineup, but he's bad enough that he won't cost much money.

I've seen 3 sources thinking the Nats probably should offer Span a QO, and none saying they shouldn't. I think continued injuries could change that thought, tho.

I don't think Span is worth $10mm per year, but he would make sense for our team. As I've stated 3 or 4 times, he'd solve lead off for us, at at least half the cost of Cespedes, allowing us to address our pitching issues via free agency.

And if Span gets a qualifying offer, I will send you an autographed Cespedes card.

Why do you think there is a problem at leadoff? Kinsler and Iglesias have been getting on base quite a bit this year. I think they lack power more than on base guys.

I'd give Cespedes 7/140....it's not any dumber than giving Prince 9/214. in fact, I think it would be a genius move compared to that deal

We're thinking that we won't have $140 to spend though.

Edited by Chili Mac Davis

Why do you think there is a problem at leadoff? Kinsler and Iglesias have been getting on base quite a bit this year. I think they lack power more than on base guys.

and the relative value of power increases if scoring is going to continue to lag.

I really think the Tigers should give Cespedes whatever amount of money he wants. It's not my money. :) and ticket prices will continue to rise anyways.......no matter how much the front office spends.

In Heyman's latest look around the league, this was a throwaway line at the end of the Tigers' section:

While rumors have circulated that the Tigers may pare down their payroll for a change, sources close to the situation say, in effect: Don't count on it. One great thing about the Ilitches, "they remain committed to winning," a Tigers source said ... Upton is a player who has interested the Tigers before.

Upton is a fine player, but I'd really hate to give up the pick for him. He doesn't turn 28 until later this month, so I'm guessing he gets a 7 year deal.

Cespedes might cost around the same per year, but should be less costly in years and wouldn't cost a pick.

If the Tigers do chase a FA with a QO attached, I'd much rather it be an ace or maybe even Heyward.

Inside Baseball: How Blue Jays pulled off best-ever deadline double - CBSSports.com

and the relative value of power increases if scoring is going to continue to lag.

MLBN did a sabermetric roundtable during Wednesday's Houston @ San Francisco game. It was interesting, hosted by Brian Kinney, Jim/Dan Duquette (forget which one), Kevin Millar, and Rob Neyer. I have it recorded and have not gotten through the whole game yet, but this point was brought up in relation to the Astros. They have a few guys that don't hit for average too well, but can contribute HRs (Valbuena, Carter, Gattis). Heck, if you look at it, a few guys even have OBPs below .300. But because power is so precious, they can live with the lack of hitting for average.

In Heyman's latest look around the league, this was a throwaway line at the end of the Tigers' section:

Upton is a fine player, but I'd really hate to give up the pick for him. He doesn't turn 28 until later this month, so I'm guessing he gets a 7 year deal.

Cespedes might cost around the same per year, but should be less costly in years and wouldn't cost a pick.

If the Tigers do chase a FA with a QO attached, I'd much rather it be an ace or maybe even Heyward.

Inside Baseball: How Blue Jays pulled off best-ever deadline double - CBSSports.com

If the Tigers are going to spend big-$$$ on an OF'er, I think Heyward would be the best fit. I like Cespedes; but I'd rather have the LH'ed power bat and annual 5-WAR in Heyward. I'd be willing to lose a 1st-rounder on him, and go 7 years on a contract. Just my 2 cents.

If we're going cheap, I think Fowler and Bernard/ Collins is the best fit.

or we could just finish with one of the 10 worst records.

If the Tigers are going to spend big-$$$ on an OF'er, I think Heyward would be the best fit. I like Cespedes; but I'd rather have the LH'ed power bat and annual 5-WAR in Heyward. I'd be willing to lose a 1st-rounder on him, and go 7 years on a contract. Just my 2 cents.

If we're going cheap, I think Fowler and Bernard/ Collins is the best fit.

go big or stay home, right? Sort of where I am also.

The problem with Heyward is that his 'power bat' doesn't really exist.

He has a career .429 slugging. It's been .427 .387 and .429 the last three years. Still a good player as he plays strong defense and can take a walk/doesn't strike out a ton, but I sure wouldn't want to go 7 years huge money on him.

MLBN did a sabermetric roundtable during Wednesday's Houston @ San Francisco game. It was interesting, hosted by Brian Kinney, Jim/Dan Duquette (forget which one), Kevin Millar, and Rob Neyer. I have it recorded and have not gotten through the whole game yet, but this point was brought up in relation to the Astros. They have a few guys that don't hit for average too well, but can contribute HRs (Valbuena, Carter, Gattis). Heck, if you look at it, a few guys even have OBPs below .300. But because power is so precious, they can live with the lack of hitting for average.

This is why Cespedes > Span..........and for that matter, many other major league outfielders by a wide margin.

This is why Cespedes > Span..........and for that matter, many other major league outfielders by a wide margin.

While I prefer Cespedes to Span, he's not better by a wide margin.

The problem with Heyward is that his 'power bat' doesn't really exist.

He has a career .429 slugging. It's been .427 .387 and .429 the last three years. Still a good player as he plays strong defense and can take a walk/doesn't strike out a ton, but I sure wouldn't want to go 7 years huge money on him.

I'm sure there will be a team or two out there that thinks he can still develop some of the impressive power he flashed in the minors.

I'm sure there will be a team or two out there that thinks he can still develop some of the impressive power he flashed in the minors.

Especially if they knew him when he was growing up and have super scouting powers.

Depends on how much value you place in this years numbers. Span, I think, is playing a bit over his head right now and will regress to the mean next year (.750 ops guy) but the same could very well happen to cespedes.

Especially if they knew him when he was growing up and have super scouting powers.

Oh, we're cross-threading now? Truce over.

Stick your head in the sand and fart out more sarcasm, it's easier for you than ever admitting your wrong about something, apparently.

If you read the quote I listed you would've known that my comment was referring to power numbers. Denard Span has 37 homeruns in 3811 career at bats. Cespedes has 91 homeruns in 2075 career at bats. That my friend, is a wide margin.

If you read the quote I listed you would've known that my comment was referring to power numbers. Denard Span has 37 homeruns in 3811 career at bats. Cespedes has 91 homeruns in 2075 career at bats. That my friend, is a wide margin.

No, your quote pretty plainly just says power is the reason that Cespedes is better overall by a wide margin, not that you were just referring power numbers.

Edited by Yoda

No, your quote pretty plainly just says power is the reason that Cespedes is better overall by a wide margin, not that you were just referring power numbers.

Yoda, obviously been in the swamp too long....you have.

Facts are facts. Read what you want into my post.

Bottom line.....if the Tigers want a leadoff hitter, pick up Span. If they want power numbers, pick up Cespedes. Cespedes would sell more tickets. Fans want to see homeruns.......not singles. Which guy would make the Tigers a better team? It really depends on what the hitters around them do.....not just what they can provide.