Yoda

Cespedes to Mets

Denard Span career OBP is .353, and has exceeded it the last two seasons. Recently voted as the 2nd best defensive outfielder in the NL in a BA poll of MLB managers. Finishing a 6 yr/$25MM deal. Will be 32 next year and will be lucky to get a 4 yr/$40MM deal.

But Denard Span isn't the kind of name for a ballplayer. It sounds more like a bridge in Oklahoma.

Do we really want to drop 40MM on a 32 year old Span?

And despite this managers poll, he's a pretty mediocre OFer.

But Denard Span isn't the kind of name for a ballplayer. It sounds more like a bridge in Oklahoma.

<span>I also don't want to feel like I'm writing HTML code in the game threads.</span>

He's always struck me as a guy with a corner OF glove coupled with a CF bat.

That being said, I'd take him on a reasonable deal.

I would imagine the managers were rating his tools rather than his actual performance.

I would imagine the managers were rating his tools rather than his actual performance.

Pretty sure he's a craftsman guy. I myself am a Kobalt man.

I wouldn't give him that much, but I suspect he won't see that. Those figures were for whoever previously thought that he'd get a QO, which he won't, or for the poster who suggested paying Fowler (who is inferior), a similar contract.

I don't get to see him play much, so can only speak to his defense when he was in Minny, where he was good. Agree that MLB managers are largely idiots and not a very good judge of assessing player's prowess.

Span's probably good for 5 or 6 wins over the next 3 years. Teams are paying about 7 mil for wins these days. I'd probably throw 3/35-40 at him, maybe throw in a team option for year 4 with a buyout. OBP skills tend to age reasonably well.

I wouldn't give him that much, but I suspect he won't see that. Those figures were for whoever previously thought that he'd get a QO, which he won't, or for the poster who suggested paying Fowler (who is inferior), a similar contract.

I don't get to see him play much, so can only speak to his defense when he was in Minny, where he was good. Agree that MLB managers are largely idiots and not a very good judge of assessing player's prowess.

Your argument is walking a tight line. That he's good enough that he'll be great in our lineup, but he's bad enough that he won't cost much money.

I've seen 3 sources thinking the Nats probably should offer Span a QO, and none saying they shouldn't. I think continued injuries could change that thought, tho.

I don't mind Span at all but I wouldn't take Span over Cespedes just cause his OBP skills. OBP can tend to get overrated a bit. Span's a career .350 OBP, Cespedes is .317. So basically Span takes about 15 extra walks/singles a year than Cespedes. 15 walks/singles may be worth about 5-7 runs over the course of the entire season. So it's not a big deal, I'd rather have the power presence and extra base threat of Cespedes in the lineup, I think that more than offsets the extra 6 or so runs that Span brings from OBP.

Span was a Twin... I don't recall a lot of success with former Twins. I think there's still a curse and it's a sinister plot.

I don't mind Span at all but I wouldn't take Span over Cespedes just cause his OBP skills. OBP can tend to get overrated a bit. Span's a career .350 OBP, Cespedes is .317. So basically Span takes about 15 extra walks/singles a year than Cespedes. 15 walks/singles may be worth about 5-7 runs over the course of the entire season. So it's not a big deal, I'd rather have the power presence and extra base threat of Cespedes in the lineup, I think that more than offsets the extra 6 or so runs that Span brings from OBP.

Cespedes is also a couple of years younger - if you believe his bio. Over the likely life of the contract that will be offered, you have a better chance Cespedes will fall off less.

One of my early baseball memories was of Dan Gladden hitting grand slams in back-to-back games. Probably around 1992 or so. I was a fan, but I didn't have much feeling or knowledge for other teams back then.

One of my early baseball memories was of Dan Gladden hitting grand slams in back-to-back games. Probably around 1992 or so. I was a fan, but I didn't have much feeling or knowledge for other teams back then.

I remember me and my friend would always play "Sports talk baseball", this video game for Sega Genesis circa 1990 or so. Anyway Dan Gladden sucked so bad on it so we always made fun of him. He was like the only guy on the game that we knew had no chance of hitting a home run, then suddenly one game he actually did. We still joke about that with each other to this day. Anyway long story short, that's what I think of whenever I hear the name Dan Gladden.

The issue here is that Cespedes will most likely be signing for approximately 7 years and $140-175M. Somewheres in that range.

While Span or Fowler can be had for a guess of 4 years $48M.

Personally, I thought Span would get more than that, but maybe not. I thought Fowler would be the cheapest of the 3.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Span is better than Cespedes, he's not. And Span is better than Fowler...

But the "Bottom-Line" decision will be based on contract, age, overall ability, and 2016 Budget. I don't think we go after Cespedes based on contract and budget. If Span & Fowler get equal contracts, I would choose Span over Fowler. But... if Span gets 4-years @ $64M and Fowler gets 4-years @ $48M... I think I would choose Fowler and stick him in Left. And just live with the OBP.

The issue here is that Cespedes will most likely be signing for approximately 7 years and $140-175M. Somewheres in that range.

While Span or Fowler can be had for a guess of 4 years $48M.

Personally, I thought Span would get more than that, but maybe not. I thought Fowler would be the cheapest of the 3.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Span is better than Cespedes, he's not. And Span is better than Fowler...

But the "Bottom-Line" decision will be based on contract, age, overall ability, and 2016 Budget. I don't think we go after Cespedes based on contract and budget. If Span & Fowler get equal contracts, I would choose Span over Fowler. But... if Span gets 4-years @ $64M and Fowler gets 4-years @ $48M... I think I would choose Fowler and stick him in Left. And just live with the OBP.

Oh I agree, I thought I seen some posts saying that Span was a "better fit" cause of his OBP, which is what I was commenting on. But yeah if Span gets half the amount of Cespedes, I would definitely rather have him.

Actually, I was wrong about his OBP from 2010-2015. It was .363. Coors Field helped, but still had a good OBP with the Astros in 2014. I wouldn't mind if he were on the Tigers, but he doesn't have a lot of skills beyond OBP - poor fielder, little power, doesn't use his speed too well. Not somebody I'd really want to see signed to a long-term deal.

Actually, I was right originally because I said Span not Fowler. 84lives got me all confused when he brought up Fowler. Now, I keep mixing up Span and Fowler.

Oh I agree, I thought I seen some posts saying that Span was a "better fit" cause of his OBP, which is what I was commenting on. But yeah if Span gets half the amount of Cespedes, I would definitely rather have him.

If we signed Span, I'm not sure my 14 yr old son could take it. When we were in FL this June, we went to a Rays and Nationals game. Kiermaier hit a routine ground ball right up the middle. Span, playing normal depth, took his time getting to it and Kiermaier turned it into a double. He would later score on a combination of a groundout and flyout. From that point on, whenever my son is describing someone lazy he calls it /them Denard Span.

If we signed Span, I'm not sure my 14 yr old son could take it. When we were in FL this June, we went to a Rays and Nationals game. Kiermaier hit a routine ground ball right up the middle. Span, playing normal depth, took his time getting to it and Kiermaier turned it into a double. He would later score on a combination of a groundout and flyout. From that point on, whenever my son is describing someone lazy he calls it /them Denard Span.

when we were in MN and I saw a fair amount of him, he always impressed with the tools defensively but not the use of them. His defensive metrics are so noisy they don't tell much, but I doubt he is close to a plus fielder anymore.

Denard Span? Geez, Might as well just keep Gose & Davis........or just give the job to Fields.

Fresh grilled steakl? Geez, might as well just eat this hot dog I found in a dumpster

Denard Span? Geez, Might as well just keep Gose & Davis........or just give the job to Fields.

Out of touch.

Obviously you haven't seen his FIP, WAR, BABIP, FDIC, OBP, UZRSTUV.