Yoda

Cespedes to Mets

that's what makes her hot.... she's probably down for anything.

Another favorite, but small, moment. When Jeff and Suzy got their new house and Larry stopped by. She says "Come and see the house" and larry just says "nah.... I get it...."

I so hate it when people want to show me their new house. I really don't care what color the bedrooms are.

I love that part too

Jerry Seinfeld

✔ ‎@JerrySeinfeld

Dear @ynscspds,

You are a great baseball player.

I love watching you!

Do Cubans really like those Cuban sandwiches?

I love them!

Go #mets

12:30 AM - 6 Aug 2015

Yoenis Cespedes

✔ ‎@ynscspds

thanks and yes! Lets eat one sometime https://twitter.com/JerrySeinfeld/status/629147402067427328

And on trade deadline day when news broke of the trade Seinfeld had tweeted that "there is now a Cespedes for the rest of us".

Did you even watch a Tiger game this year with Cespedes playing? Did you check out his stats? He has to be ranked in the top ten in MLB for outfielders in most categories.

He is great. And absolutely a wrong fit for our team. If you look beyond the obvious, you'll see that, too.

I read today Span could easily get offered a QO. I know he's your guy, but that would make me completely scratch him off my list..

I can't see that happening--reading that the QO will be around $16MM. I don't see him getting more than $9-10MM per year.

He is great. And absolutely a wrong fit for our team. If you look beyond the obvious, you'll see that, too.

Why don't you share your wisdom with the board. They seemed to do just fine offensively with him on the team.

Why don't you share your wisdom with the board. They seemed to do just fine offensively with him on the team.

I have. If you live in a reality where there are budget parameters, you wouldn't commit $20MM per year to him. You'd sign a true lead off hitter for half that (Span), and put the balance into a #2 SP, closer and another arm for the pen. If Porcello can get $20MM per year, we'll spend near that for the quality starter we need. A good closer will be in the $10-15MM range.

Again, not saying that Cespedes is a bad player, just not the best fit for our lineup or payroll, given other pressing needs to contend again in 2016.

Love his defense in our big left field, he's another power bat(behind only Trout and Harper for XBHs for OFs) and he gives you some more speed on the basepaths. I wouldn't hate him being lefty, but I certainly wouldn't call him a bad fit.

I have. If you live in a reality where there are budget parameters, you wouldn't commit $20MM per year to him. You'd sign a true lead off hitter for half that (Span), and put the balance into a #2 SP, closer and another arm for the pen. If Porcello can get $20MM per year, we'll spend near that for the quality starter we need. A good closer will be in the $10-15MM range.

Again, not saying that Cespedes is a bad player, just not the best fit for our lineup or payroll, given other pressing needs to contend again in 2016.

So basically he's a great fit but you think he'll be too expensive...

If you wanna go on the cheap then you sign Dexter Fowler.

High OBP Lead-off switch-hitter. Stick him in LF or CF, whichever works better. Probably Gose in CF and Fowler in LF.

So basically he's a great fit but you think he'll be too expensive...

No. I'd rather use LF for a lead off hitter. Middle of our lineup is set for next year. Solving for lead off is more critical than getting our 6th place hitter. If you put Span and Kinsler ahead of Cabrera and the Martinez bros., they should both score 100+ runs.

Span

Kinsler

Cabrera

Victor

JD

Castellanos

McCann

Gose/platoon

Iglesias

Not to mention the payroll benefits that allow you to address our pitching.

Who cares where he bats. Lead off hitters are entirely overrated. I'd rather have cespedes' bat than whoever this "leadoff hitter" is likely to be. Span isn't going to be much cheaper and I'm willing to bet the Tigers would rather go with cespedes.

Bringing Cespedes back signals to all the other high-strung Cuban players that Detroit is a welcoming place safe from scrutiny.

Who cares where he bats. Lead off hitters are entirely overrated. I'd rather have cespedes' bat than whoever this "leadoff hitter" is likely to be. Span isn't going to be much cheaper and I'm willing to bet the Tigers would rather go with cespedes.

Church

Away (i.e. non-Coors) OBP: .338

ESPN has his Non-Coors splits from 2011-2014 at .357.

2015 is a down year for him, but .338 looks like it would only be for 2015, not for the past 5 years...

Actually, I was wrong about his OBP from 2010-2015. It was .363. Coors Field helped, but still had a good OBP with the Astros in 2014. I wouldn't mind if he were on the Tigers, but he doesn't have a lot of skills beyond OBP - poor fielder, little power, doesn't use his speed too well. Not somebody I'd really want to see signed to a long-term deal.

Actually, I was wrong about his OBP from 2010-2015. It was .363. Coors Field helped, but still had a good OBP with the Astros in 2014. I wouldn't mind if he were on the Tigers, but he doesn't have a lot of skills beyond OBP - poor fielder, little power, doesn't use his speed too well. Not somebody I'd really want to see signed to a long-term deal.

Yeah, the .376 with Houston was a nice #.

I wouldn't wanna go long-term on him either. Not certain if he gets the 5-7 years that Upton/ Cespedes/ Heyward get. He'd also cost significantly less on an annual basis. His fielding (or lack thereof) is an annoyance.

3 years and a team option would be fine IMO. 4 for $48M is enough to get him?

PS: I think short-term with him is a smarter play than paying $20M +/- for 7 years on these other guys...

If they can get him short term, sure.

ESPN has his Non-Coors splits from 2011-2014 at .357.

2015 is a down year for him, but .338 looks like it would only be for 2015, not for the past 5 years...

.338 is his career away OBP, according to bbref. I didn't know how to do non-Coors easily so I figured that was a good approximation.

.338 is still not bad at all, and .357 is very good. It depends on how good his defense actually is and $$$.

His defensive numbers have been consistently bad. He might be better in left.

Edited by tiger337

Denard Span career OBP is .353, and has exceeded it the last two seasons. Recently voted as the 2nd best defensive outfielder in the NL in a BA poll of MLB managers. Finishing a 6 yr/$25MM deal. Will be 32 next year and will be lucky to get a 4 yr/$40MM deal.