chasfh

David Price to Blue Jays

If it's Norris, Boyd and Alford, that's actually at the high end of what I originally expected before hearing all the Dodger rumors.

That's a fair comment. I probably got too caught up on the possibility of getting Wood plus a couple of good prospects, which seemed more in line with the stated goal of rebooting for 2016. To me, this package is more geared towards 2017/18, but no matter what it is better than draft pick compensation.

I'm just not enamored with Norris and Alford is two years away in my opinion. I like Boyd the best of the three, which probably puts me on the fringe of how people see this package, since the other two are more highly rated.

Dave Cameron tweet: "Matt Boyd is going to be the afterthought prospect in this deal, but he’s a @cistulli guy, as was Kluber and Richards, among others."

Morosi tweet: "LHP Jairo Labourt, going to Detroit in Price deal, pitched a perfect inning in Futures Game. Exciting arm, even if he has high walk total."

Like Daniel Norris does?

Rosenthal tweet: "#BlueJays taking on entirety of Price’s remaining salary in trade with #Tigers."

Not that this is a primary consideration for the Tigers, but every little bit helps.

Labourt and not Alford. That really diminishes the package.

What the hell is up with Toronto's minor league pitchers? Does the organization purposefully look for guys that walk the most hitters per 9 innings? Crap, they'll fit in just fine in our minor league system.

pretty meh deal. Boyd seems like he could be decent, but Norris and Labourt are two guys with no control. No idea why this org has a fascination with guys that cant throw strikes.

Morosi tweet: "LHP Jairo Labourt, going to Detroit in Price deal, pitched a perfect inning in Futures Game. Exciting arm, even if he has high walk total."

Like Daniel Norris does?

Could have been worse, if we had gotten stuck with Sanchez.

Swing and a miss for Dombrowski. Shouldn't have even considered trading Price. I am thinking more and more that both Ausmus and Dombrowski need to go.

Norris has been highly unimpressive and he is the main piece. It's getting ugly.

Would you rather have Smyly and Jackson or the group we will get from Toronto?

We had Price for basically 2 seasons to see if we could put together a run. Didn't work out, so we move on.

I like that they went out and replenished our starting pitching depth with the deal. Now use the Price money to sign another starter who isn't on Price's level, but can be a strong #3.

and go get something for Cespedes and Soria now

Tom Gage tweet: "@baseball_ref lists Jairo Labourt as pitcher/outfielder"

Interesting, but he has not had a single at bat in the minor leagues in five seasons, so does this even matter?

If it's Norris, Boyd and Alford, that's actually at the high end of what I originally expected before hearing all the Dodger rumors.

Freep says it's Norris Boyd & LeBourt.

Rosenthal tweet: "#BlueJays taking on entirety of Price’s remaining salary in trade with #Tigers."

Not that this is a primary consideration for the Tigers, but every little bit helps.

I honestly believe this was a much bigger consideration than people realize. I pointed this out in the Trade Deadline thread, but in the last 7-8 years when we were buyers, DD always took on the entire salary of those players he was acquiring. Even in deals where he clearly should not have. That's on top of very good prospect packages we provided. And I think it was a strong expectation of his that the acquiring team in this trade had to take Price's salary, because that's how DD sees it. Meanwhile, other clubs likely would have paid some of the salary and improved the return. We are just not a ball club that does that type of thing, and it probably snake bit us here, because this package is not nearly as 2016 ready as one would have thought given our stated objectives of rebooting for next year.

I think the Dodger rumors were bogus and I think this was a pretty good return for Price.

Every part of it looks bad for Dave. Gets price last year after the risky Ausmus hiring, fails to lock up Scherzer after embarrassing him publicly, refuses to get any quality bullpen arm, sells Price for pennies on the dollar with no real plan going forward. Dave hasn't made a good move in about two years outside of Cespedes, and he may be willing to throw him away now too.

Would you rather have Smyly and Jackson or the group we will get from Toronto?

We had Price for basically 2 seasons to see if we could put together a run. Didn't work out, so we move on.

I'm with you on this. Hanging on the Price and getting nothing but a draft pick when he signs with the Cubs would have been pointless because the Tigers don't know how to draft.

Swing and a miss for Dombrowski. Shouldn't have even considered trading Price. I am thinking more and more that both Ausmus and Dombrowski need to go.

Norris has been highly unimpressive and he is the main piece. It's getting ugly.

Eh, going forward we have 18 years worth of those 3 guys instead of zero of Price.

I honestly believe this was a much bigger consideration than people realize. I pointed this out in the Trade Deadline thread, but in the last 7-8 years when we were buyers, DD always took on the entire salary of those players he was acquiring. Even in deals where he clearly should not have. That's on top of very good prospect packages we provided. And I think it was a strong expectation of his that the acquiring team in this trade had to take Price's salary, because that's how DD sees it. Meanwhile, other clubs likely would have paid some of the salary and improved the return. We are just not a ball club that does that type of thing, and it probably snake bit us here, because this package is not nearly as 2016 ready as one would have thought given our stated objectives of rebooting for next year.

I had thought they were looking for major league ready pieces as well, but that said, did the Tigers specify that they were rebooting for next year? I didn't note that in yesterday's stories.

pretty meh deal. Boyd seems like he could be decent, but Norris and Labourt are two guys with no control. No idea why this org has a fascination with guys that cant throw strikes.

True. If the Dodgers were offering Wood he was a much more safe bet to actually eat some innings than anyone in this deal, but maybe Wood was never offered.

I like that they went out and replenished our starting pitching depth with the deal. Now use the Price money to sign another starter who isn't on Price's level, but can be a strong #3.

and go get something for Cespedes and Soria now

I don't follow how trading any of these players makes us better next year or two years down the road. Our problem was Simon, Greene and the bullpen. Bull it all up because Ausmus and cheap pitchers suck? Makes no sense.

True. If the Dodgers were offering Wood he was a much more safe bet to actually eat some innings than anyone in this deal, but maybe Wood was never offered.

I don't believe Wood or Urias were ever offered.

Daniel Norris tweet: "Brad Ausmus is my 2nd cousin."

!!!!!

Well now we will have a pissed off cousin once Ausmus is fired. I wonder how Brad is handling this. The tigers have won 4 consecutive division crowns, Ausmus will have zero playoff victories and a cellar finish in his two years. Dave really botched that hire.