IdahoBert

7-29-15 Detroit at Tampa Bay 12:10 PM

IE: Frank Tanana.

Steve Carlton and Clemens come to mind, although Clemens had a little...um...help

That really is a pretty bad offense, but I'll take the nice pitching performance anyway.

Casali has 7 home runs and a 1.250 OPS on the year.

Nice win. And as much as I don't like Brad, good call by not letting JV lose it in the 9th

Agreed it was the right call.

JV was the best he's been in about 2 full years, but even still I don't think you can safely take him to 120 pitches anymore. And that's fine. You don't NEED to.

As JV learns his new stuff he can return to being an upper echelon starter. Even a legit #1 if he can really harness it. His stuff is still legit Major League ace good. It's just not Cy Young runaway, MVP candidate, never know if you'll get a no-hitter that day good. The way he's been throwing this year his stuff is still damned good. As he's getting his command back he's starting to see results. I've been encouraged by what I saw from him in Toledo & Detroit thus far. Past 2 starts finally putting it together. It's nice to see.

Oooh, 4-game series with Baltimore coming up? Awesome, because I'm blacked out from those games. :/

Consider it a blessing

@Derick_Hutch: 16 innings, 11 hits, 13 K's, no walks for Verlander in his last two starts.

Agreed it was the right call.

JV was the best he's been in about 2 full years, but even still I don't think you can safely take him to 120 pitches anymore. And that's fine. You don't NEED to.

As JV learns his new stuff he can return to being an upper echelon starter. Even a legit #1 if he can really harness it. His stuff is still legit Major League ace good. It's just not Cy Young runaway, MVP candidate, never know if you'll get a no-hitter that day good. The way he's been throwing this year his stuff is still damned good. As he's getting his command back he's starting to see results. I've been encouraged by what I saw from him in Toledo & Detroit thus far. Past 2 starts finally putting it together. It's nice to see.

Yes indeed

Consider it a blessing

I'm going to. Obviously Thursday and Friday I'll have the MLB Network on following trades, and having to listen to Jim and Dan in the background of whatever else I'm doing isn't such a terrible thing. I also tend to get less angry when I'm listening to them. A weekend of serenity!

Nice to see JV with a dominant performance.

I'll be happy with this win if the twins lose today. That puts us 3.5 games back and stupidly within striking distance.

Win tomorrow and another loss by the twins and we are only 2.5 back at the deadline.

Ugh, this sucks.

If the tigers buy i think the white sox will be bigger rivals for that wc spot than the twins.

If the tigers buy i think the white sox will be bigger rivals for that wc spot than the twins.

I think the Orioles will be the biggest rival, the Jays if they pick up a pitcher. I'm not worried about the White Sox or even the Twins.

He does look like an old man who could be eccentric enough to say, "Screw it! It's my team and I'm not giving up yet!"

Either that or, "How do you like me now, *****?!"

Not picking on you, but I often hear of how pitcher x has to re-invent himself like Frank Tanana.

The fact a guy from 30 years ago is the example often cited as a pitcher who others should model themselves after probably illustrates how hard it is to do.

Right.

But he's just the most memorable (or at least, from whatever dim memory of mine that I can conjure up...) example of a flame-thrower that had to reinvent himself to be successful in MLB.

I think there are quite a few examples... but I wouldn't call it an easy transition as I am certain there have been as many failures, if not more, as successes.

But JV still has a big arm/ fastball, so I'm not certain how his transition will work. But he does need to pitch more than just try to overpower guys.

Just saw a recent article stating a close comp to JV is AJ Burnett, who also had a big power fastball; and when he lost several MPH's on it, switched from a 4-seamer to a 2-seamer to get more sink... and continued to be successful after the switch.

I'll send a note to JV...

:wink:

Great to see the old Verlander a few times lately. I just hope that DD isn't thinking 'surely this one game shows we shouldn't sell while the past 10 horrible ones meant nothing!'

Most fun I've had watching a game in a while. Whatever happens this year, if JV can be a solid #2 for the next couple of years, it does really help the offseason shopping list. Much easier/less expensive to get a couple of mid-rotation innings eaters than a top of the rotation guy.

@sharkmgs

Verlander's last 4 starts: 3.32 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, 23 K in 27.1 IP.