PuNk42AE

07/18/2015: Baltimore Orioles (Tillman) at Detroit Tigers (Price) - 7:08 PM

^ sure seems like it.

I think I read heard, whatevs, that strike out pitchers have higher pitch counts than say a ground ball out type pitcher? Stands to reason cuz they need to get higher counts.

But finishing this game it probably out for Price. 50+ pitches with 1 out in the 3rd. Ouch.

High pitch counts have more to do with throwing balls and hitters fouling off pitches, imo. Blaming it on strikeouts is what TV/radio guys like to use to justify a pitcher that can't strike batters out (think porcello). I'll take a high pitch count over a guy that keeps a low pitch count but gives up tons of hits.

High pitch counts have more to do with throwing balls and hitters fouling off pitches, imo. Blaming it on strikeouts is what TV/radio guys like to use to justify a pitcher that can't strike batters out (think porcello). I'll take a high pitch count over a guy that keeps a low pitch count but gives up tons of hits.

But to strike out batters, you have to waste pitches, imo. You have to set up pitches with balls. So pitch counts have to be higher. No?

And lol I was thinking about Porcello when I was writing about ground ball pitchers.

You don't have to set up pitches with balls. 3 pitch strike outs are pretty common.

A lot of strike outs can definitely raise a pitch count versus a bunch of groundouts, but with the groundouts you're more likely to give up hits, and balls and foul balls can have a bigger effect on pitch counts.

You don't have to set up pitches with balls. 3 pitch strike outs are pretty common.

A lot of strike outs can definitely raise a pitch count versus a bunch of groundouts, but with the groundouts you're more likely to give up hits, and balls and foul balls can have a bigger effect on pitch counts.

Still, I think a good ground ball pitcher typically throws fewer pitchers than a good strikeout pitcher. That is the reason some pitchers decide to pitch to contact.

On cue, Dickerson just noted that most of the strikeouts have been really quick and that it was a few longer ab's that have driven up the pitch count.

There's #9.

Wow. 10 k through 4 ip. The last two have taken 6 pitches. Up to 80 pitches now. We'll get 6 ip out of him, maybe 7. Just in time for the rain.

Isn't that exactly what I said? :P

It wasn't clear what you were saying. It sounded like you said strikeout didn't raise pitch counts over pitching to contact

When did Chris Tillman start sucking?

That being said......7 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs

This is looking pretty good. He's destroying us.

And of course now price gets a 7 pitch inning with 0k haha. I'll take it!

Can we just let iggy play short and 3rd at the same time? It may not be much worse than keeping casty.

Can we just let iggy play short and 3rd at tge same time? It may not be much worse than keeping casty.

LMAO! Love it!