Sign in to follow this  
DTroppens

Last Tiger to start at each position at an All-Star Game

I'm going to make a trivia graphic on this one. Without cheating (checking baseball-reference like I had to do to make the graphic) let's see who can get the most. I'll post the answers sometime tomorrow.

Can you name the last Tiger to actually start at each position during the All-Star Game? DH is excluded and I also have the last starting LHP and last starting RHP.

If I was given a couple of minutes to rattle off the names, I would've missed a bunch of them. At least for me, this isn't as easy a trivia question as I would've guessed it to be.

For LHP I'll go Kenny Rogers. RHP Scherzer.

C Avila

1B Cabrera

2B Polanco

SS Trammell

3B Kell

RF Ordonez

CF Lemon

LF Gibson

Some of these were pure guesses.

I couldn't help myself, so I looked it up.

My guesses would have been way off. And there's at least one who probably nobody would guess.

I decided to look it up and can't believe I missed on 3B. The OF is tricky because I was going by the position they played for the Tigers and not in the All-Star game.

For LHP I'll go Kenny Rogers. RHP Scherzer.

C Avila

1B Cabrera

2B Polanco

SS Trammell

3B Kell

RF Ordonez

CF Lemon

LF Gibson

Some of these were pure guesses.

I agree with the SP.

Did Avila actually start in an ASG?

It's been that long since we had a SS start? I would guess (a wild guess) that it was Peralta?

3rd base looks like it very well may be before most of our times. But how about the original ARod? Aurelio Rodriguez? (another wild guess)

I'm not sure about the entire OF. We haven't had any since Chet? How about Curtis as my wild guess?

And Magglio in LF over Gibson? And maybe Gibby as our last CF?

I didn't look anything up so I'm probably wrong on every guess. But I think (know?) we're all correct with Cabby at 1st base? Maybe he was also our last 3rd baseman? Very well could be.

So when do we get the results?

Avila started in 2011 didn't he? He caught Jared Weaver who was the starter. I remember when later in the year in the kerfuffle with weaver and guillen that weaver referenced feeling bad having to throw at Avila since he was his catcher in the ASG.

I doubt penalty ever started with meter around..

Gibby never made the ASG. he was always an answer to a trivia question about most HRs without making the team.... Along with Eric karros.

My guesses would've been way off myself. Motownbombers - I'd say that's about as good as I think anyone would do if they were given five minutes to think about it.

Here we go. Remember they had to actually start, so Migel qualifies at first for last year, not this year.

RHP - Max Scherzer (2013)

LHP - Kenny Rogers (2006)

Catcher - Alex Avilla (2011)

First Base - Miguel Cabrera (2014)

Second Base - Placido Polanco (2007)

Third Base - Miguel Cabrera (2013) - Only person on the list for two different positions. I'll give some other variations if you want him on only once below

Shortstop - Dick McAuliffe (1966)

Left - Magglio Ordonez (2007)

Center - Chet Lemon (1984)

Right - Rusty Staub (1976)

I think Rusty Staub is the toughest answer, and it was proven on my facebook page. No one got him until I mentioned as a hint "Ernie Harwell sometimes dropped the word Trusty before saying his complete name." Trammell was never a starter at the All-Star Game. Maybe he was a bit underrated during his career as well? I completely forgot about Alex at catcher.

If I guessed this I think I would've gotten 4-5 and that's about it.

If you only want a player on the list once and his first position is the one we include, then we'd have Miguel at third and Prince Fielder at first.

If we wanted to go with the player's most current All-Star start and put Miguel at first, we'd have to go way back to Ray Boone (forget the year) since a Tiger started at third base in an All-Star Game.

I think next year I'm going to figure out who were the first Tiger starters at each position in an All-Star Game.

My guesses would've been way off myself. Motownbombers - I'd say that's about as good as I think anyone would do if they were given five minutes to think about it.

Here we go. Remember they had to actually start, so Migel qualifies at first for last year, not this year.

RHP - Max Scherzer (2013)

LHP - Kenny Rogers (2006)

Catcher - Alex Avilla (2011)

First Base - Miguel Cabrera (2014)

Second Base - Placido Polanco (2007)

Third Base - Miguel Cabrera (2013) - Only person on the list for two different positions. I'll give some other variations if you want him on only once below

Shortstop - Dick McAuliffe (1966)

Left - Magglio Ordonez (2007)

Center - Chet Lemon (1984)

Right - Rusty Staub (1976)

I think Rusty Staub is the toughest answer, and it was proven on my facebook page. No one got him until I mentioned as a hint "Ernie Harwell sometimes dropped the word Trusty before saying his complete name." Trammell was never a starter at the All-Star Game. Maybe he was a bit underrated during his career as well? I completely forgot about Alex at catcher.

If I guessed this I think I would've gotten 4-5 and that's about it.

Dick McAuliffe was the biggest surprise to me. I sort of guessed at Cabrera being the last Tiger to start at 3rd base so it wasn't a big surprise.

And didn't Magglio play LF for us quite a bit? It seems like he did. But come on, Rusty Staub in RF? How embarrassing for him...:classic:

And BTW? Great thread. Very fun even if it had me racking my failing memory!

It's fun trying to figure these things without looking up websites and stuff like that. Unfortunately, I didn't get to have that entertainment. I should've tried to list my team before I looked for the answers. I know for certain I wouldn't have done well.

If you only want a player on the list once and his first position is the one we include, then we'd have Miguel at third and Prince Fielder at first.

If we wanted to go with the player's most current All-Star start and put Miguel at first, we'd have to go way back to Ray Boone (forget the year) since a Tiger started at third base in an All-Star Game.

I think next year I'm going to figure out who were the first Tiger starters at each position in an All-Star Game.

That would be fun too.

Ray Boone was the starter at 3rd base in 1954. As best as I can tell, he was the most recent until Cabrera came along.

I'm shocked that Tram never was a starter in the ASG. Smith was in the NL, so he wouldn't have blocked Tram. Then I remember Ripken was in his prime then too...

Trammell was of course a 6 time all star...

In 1980, Bucky Dent was the AL Starter. This first half OPS was .674. Trammell was .841

In 1984, Ripken was the starter. 1st half OPS: .853. Tram was .842

In 1985, Ripken was the starter. 1st half OPS: .814. Tram was .737

In 1987, Ripken was the starter. 1st half OPS: .778. Tram was .909

In 1988, Ripken was the starter (sensing a pattern here?). 1st half OPS: .861. Tram was .882

In 1990, Ripken was the starter. 1st half OPS: .750. Tram was .779

So, just looking at the offensive side of things, I think one could make the case that Tram should have been starter worthy in 1980. But he was still pretty new to the league then, and it could easily have been that Dent was just considered the better guy, even if he wasn't having a great offensive season.

In '84 and '85 Ripken had the better offensive numbers and was easily on his way to becoming a legend (ROY in '81, started IronMan streak, WS and MVP in '83), so though the numbers were close, Ripken was the easy choice.

In '87 Tram got jobbed. Ripken got the nob by name only. Trammell was having a career year and was clearly better offensively.

'88 and '90 again saw a little better better offense than Ripken, but not so great as '87. An argument could easily be made for either Trammell or Ripken as the starter those years, and the nationally known name of Ripken made him the winner both times.

To be fair on Trammell... he was elected the starter in 1988 but was injured and couldnt play.

McAuliffe was the biggest surprise to me. I always think of him as a second baseman.

I never really followed what the Tigs were doing with their IF in the early 60's. When Mac came up he played SS next to Jake Wood and that was a nice combo.. As Wood slowed down we had Lumpe, Trixey, Oyler, and a few other guys, none of whom could hit a lick. They moved Mac to 2nd when they picked up Oyler - who probably did have a better glove, but Ray is most famous for being the shortstop that hit so poorly that a CF replaced him the WS!