PuNk42AE

07/10/2015: Detroit Tigers (Verlander) at Minnesota Twins (Santana) - 8:10 PM

This was THE worst. Seeing Verlander pitch so well was one of the high points of the season and then the bullpen blows a five-run lead. It doesn't get worse than that.

I know, that's the problem. Last time it was the worst...and the time before that. They keep outdoing themselves by increasing the suckage

If the past is any indication, Dombrowski will depend on him to be a key piece of the bullpen.

Poor Lynn Henning. He is polishing his 2013 rondon championship ring.

I wonder what the asking price is for Aroldis Chapman?

He is a free agent. No need to waste anything on a trade.

If any Star Wars fans need a pick-me-up, head to the bar & grill section.

He is a free agent. No need to waste anything on a trade.

I was thinking for the rest of this season.

Simon and Greene still to come in this series.

I hope Ausmus takes them out early, so we can watch their great bullpen in action.

This one's on Rondon. Soria had pitched 2 days in a row. Brad brought in Rondon in the 8th. Rondon, pitched, what, one pitch in the eighth to get the out, so they brought him back out. He failed in the 9th. The options then were:

• a tired Soria
  • unreliable, spastic AA (although somewhat better of late, and rested)
  • kroll - huh-uh
  • Farmer - nope
  • Hardy - yeah, that move could be defended
  • Ferrell - uh, no
  • Wilson - He's not been reliable lately, but he hasn't pitched in 3 days.

(Wow. I think I just determined we have an 8 man pen. Til Sunday when Ferrel or Farmer go to AAA for Greene. )

So, the good news was that Brad had an 8 man pen to work with. The bad news was that the 7 pitchers there in the 9th, other than Hardy and Wilson, were not very good. Every guy but Soria and AA spent time in AAA this year. (Pretty sure Hardy did not make the team out of ST. I could be wrong.)

Conclusion - Brad didn't have much to work with. Wilson and Hardy were the obvious alternatives here, but we don't know their health, etc. They were not great alternatives certainly. Brad can certainly be questioned but he has a pretty good argument that he made the best moves. Our pen is Soria and the 7 dwarfs. Rondon is a big dwarf, I know.

Having said that, Brad needed to go to a third reliever sometime there in the ninth. He definitely left Soria in too long when he had nothing.

Time to pick up Badenhop, although he's having a tough year in Cinci...

Edited by Chili Mac Davis

I was thinking for the rest of this season.

I just don't think it's worth the investment for this team.

95% of the time any pitcher in the bigs would be able to get 3 outs before giving up 5 runs-- Krol, Ferrell, whoever. It just didn't happen tonight.

freaking unbelievable. How to you parley 7.2 innings of 2 hit ball into giving up 8 runs in regulation? There are no words to describe it. I left to get a few things done before turning in and THIS?!

I don't care if you have to warm up everybody and pull 6 guys after facing one batter, you don't let 2 pitchers give up 7 runs in the 9th without doing more than watching. I don't care how bad the other options are, you have to keep trying them.

I'm not sure they can contend even next year. Unless, Illitch is willing to increase the payroll yet again and bring in some ML pitching other than Price. Theres certainly nothing left in the minors.

freaking unbelievable. How to you parley 7.2 innings of 2 hit ball into giving up 8 runs in regulation? There are no words to describe it. I left to get a few things done before turning in and THIS?!

I don't care if you have to warm up everybody and pull 6 guys after facing one batter, you don't let 2 pitchers give up 7 runs in the 9th without doing more than watching. I don't care how bad the other options are, you have to keep trying them.

I don't think most managers take their closer out. Maybe I'm wrong. After watching Verlander tonight and the offense since Cabrera went down, I think DD has one move (not counting crossing his fingers)...get a closer. And I mean an experienced closer, Papelbon quality.

The problem is that if the Tigers acquire a closer they still need someone to pitch the 7th and 8th innings

It's depressing, I'm sure that overall the next Tigers GM will be worse than Dombrowski, but the prospect of a GM who actually thinks a bullpen is important is so tantalizing

Neftali Feliz is apparently a Tiger now

I've seen that in a couple of places, but not seeing any reliable sources yet. I fully expect it to happen. I doubt it would help them this year, but he seems like a good guy to take a chance on for the future.

I don't think most managers take their closer out. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think they do either. They almost always leave them in until the end unless it's a guy whose role is not solid. I think the only thing you can maybe fault him for is using Rondon as the set up guy. Regardless, there is absolute no excuse for a bullpen to give up a five-run lead. You've got to blame this one on the pitchers.

I don't think most managers take their closer out. Maybe I'm wrong. After watching Verlander tonight and the offense since Cabrera went down, I think DD has one move (not counting crossing his fingers)...get a closer. And I mean an experienced closer, Papelbon quality.

Irrelevant. Most managers have mlb pitchers in their pens- this group would be a joke even at Toledo. It may be the worst collection of trash ever assembled by a GM that had ever won anything.

We dont have a closer, we haven't had a closer or any real kind of stopper since Benoit, and he was marginal. All we have are BaBIP IEDs waiting for their phone numbers to dial.

Irrelevant. Most managers have mlb pitchers in their pens- this group would be a joke even at Toledo. It may be the worst collection of trash ever assembled by a GM that had ever won anything.

We dont have a closer, we haven't had a closer or any real kind of stopper since Benoit, and he was marginal. All we have are BaBIP IEDs waiting for their phone numbers to dial.

Well, then the blame should be placed on Dombrowski.

We all thought that DD did that with Nathan. Wasn't he the big name experienced closer available last year.

Had the bartender change the TV to the Tigers' game.

Left when it was 6-0.

Got home just now to see they lost 8-6.

Don't really know what else to say.

Well yeah, but then why fault Ausmus (as I thought your first post did)?

Well yeah, but then why fault Ausmus (as I thought your first post did)?

because it's still important in the overall scheme of things that the right people get the right credit for doing well and badly. The players care about their stats, they get paid from them, and you if you continually manage in a way to hang bunches of runs on guys who give you 7.2 of two hit ball, you are going to have a lot of unhappy campers among your good players, plus a reputation that will chase away FA pitchers.