Biff Mayhem

What television series are you currently watching?

On 6/27/2020 at 12:19 PM, Hongbit said:

Chernobyl was fantastic.    I’m not sure if I was bothered more by the subject matter or that literally everyone chain smokes cigarettes though the entire movie.    I was getting flashbacks to my days as a smoker.  

I have often wondered if every building in Russia smells like stale cigarette smoke.  

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you know why we stopped you?

- I suppose it's about all those boys.

So chilling................

Right up there with John Lithgow saying, 'Hello, Dexter Morgan...'

58 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Right up there with John Lithgow saying, 'Hello, Dexter Morgan...'

Delivered so perfectly by Lithgow................

Schitt's Creek is criminally underrated. I'm in season 3 and cannot stop watching. 

15 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Schitt's Creek is criminally underrated. I'm in season 3 and cannot stop watching. 

Yeah.  We really liked it. And it gets better. 

15 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yeah.  We really liked it. And it gets better. 

It reminds me of something and I can't put my finger on it. Not sure if it's the writing style or what. 

I gained a new appreciation for Eugene Levy and Catherine O Hara.  I knew who they were obviously and loved their work in the Chris Guest mockumentaries... but I also chalked a lot of that up to him... now I see it's them.  She might be the funniest female ever. 

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I gained a new appreciation for Eugene Levy and Catherine O Hara.  I knew who they were obviously and loved their work in the Chris Guest mockumentaries... but I also chalked a lot of that up to him... now I see it's them.  She might be the funniest female ever. 

well, before Guest they were two of the original second city ensemble with John Candy et all.

43 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

well, before Guest they were two of the original second city ensemble with John Candy et all.

I dont know if they were both originals but yeah they were part of the great troupe there.... that would have been great to be around.  I read a book about it.  All these future legends living in close quarters in near poverty making each other laugh.  Candy would cook Thanksgiving dinners but it wouldn't be ready until like midnight...  Candy was a strange one.  Not really a fan of Hollywood or SNL.            

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I gotta say the son and daughter are both excellent as well, and enjoy watching them even more than the parents. They each have just the right amount of charisma and have great chemistry together. 

According to the Chicago Second City website O’Hara replaced Gilda Radner in 1974 when Gilda left for New York. When she first auditioned for the Toronto troupe Joe Flannery told her to keep her day job as a waitress.

When Ohara gets all flustered on that show and just screams a little....lol  It is awesome stuff.  The way she overly projects her voice and her tone...just like you would expect a long running actress on a soap opera to talk. 

Dan Levy is fantastic in it, I later found out he is really gay, but through the whole thing thought he was a straight dude playing a gay guy and was amazed at how well he did, knowing he was gay in real life dimmed it a LITTLE for me, but he is still great in it.  Almost EVERY episode you can see him trying to hold in a laugh....I think it adds to his character.

It is hard to pick a favorite character on that show.  No one has even mentioned Chris Elliot.

We binged it in like 2-3 weeks and were bummed out when it ended.

I always wondered what lead to them not having the real life sister play his sister on the show.  The girl who plays his sister was fantastic and maybe the real sister just could not pull that part off, but she was good as Twyla and she is smoking hot also.

15 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

We binged it in like 2-3 weeks and were bummed out when it ended.

If you watched it on Netflix, there is still a season 6 coming this fall. It has already aired on Canadian TV though. Not sure if you were able to watch it there or not. 

4 minutes ago, Yoda said:

If you watched it on Netflix, there is still a season 6 coming this fall. It has already aired on Canadian TV though. Not sure if you were able to watch it there or not. 

Yeah we saw season 6 on POP TV, thanks for looking out.

Yeah it was also on CBC in real time so we recorded those... just had to sit through commericals.

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Schitts Creek is on Pop in the US.  All episodes are available for streaming if you get the channel.

https://www.poptv.com/schittscreek

It's called SODA TV here and I don't get it. 

On 7/1/2020 at 8:35 PM, Yoda said:

Should have stopped there. Seasons 4 and 5 went from a very good comedy to a mediocre drama about a couple gay dudes. It got pretentious and almost all of the comedy died. Pretty disappointing. 

10 hours ago, Yoda said:

Should have stopped there. Seasons 4 and 5 went from a very good comedy to a mediocre drama about a couple gay dudes. It got pretentious and almost all of the comedy died. Pretty disappointing. 

I still enjoyed the show, but I agree about the noticeable shift. I appreciated that they avoided the intolerant country bumpkin storyline, but they put way too much focus on David. I loved the interactions with David and Alexis as well as David and Stevie, and those became fewer and far between in the last couple seasons. Pairing Stevie with John didn't work nearly as well.

16 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I still enjoyed the show, but I agree about the noticeable shift. I appreciated that they avoided the intolerant country bumpkin storyline, but they put way too much focus on David. I loved the interactions with David and Alexis as well as David and Stevie, and those became fewer and far between in the last couple seasons. Pairing Stevie with John didn't work nearly as well.

Agreed on all of these. It was a definite jump the shark moment when David got a BF. And I liked Patrick quite a bit.

The show just became "let's try to make people cry every episode by showing the struggles of a gay couple," which I have a lot of sympathy for. I just don't need it in virtually every episode of what is supposed to be a comedy. 

The show just became way too dramatic. The Office walked that like perfectly because it was very spread out. Harder to do in a short season but it was way over the top.  

I'll still watch season 6 probably when it hits Netflix. 

Well Dan was the show runner and it makes sense it becomes a bit autobiographical especially once he knew there was a definite end in sight so he wanted to wrap things up.  I didn’t see it as all about that but rather  about both of the kids.  Catherine O Hara gets her thing too in it. 

after the finale they aired a special and Dan Levy read letters from LGBTQ kids who thanked them for making them feel “normal”.  It was touching. Maybe he felt a need to crusade a little bit once he had a chance.  

On 5/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, Shelton said:

I had completely forgotten that there was going to be a snowpiercer tv series, and suddenly it is premiering this Sunday. And I read that it was actually kind of decent. 

So I binged this the last two days and enjoyed it.

I knew nothing of the source material (either the graphic novel or the movie adaptation) going into it.