Biff Mayhem

What television series are you currently watching?

I wonder how many times Chuck bailed him out in the past? It LOOKED like Jimmy was on his way to redemption, but was sabotaged by one of only 2 people (it seems) in the world who loved (or should have) loved him.

Point being you root for Jimmy even though we all know what he is to become. We know about what he was in BB and we already know about what he is at the very end of the show (assuming the Cinnabon thing is his legit present)...we saw Chuck bail him out on one occasion and it looked like he was already sick of his crap back then.

Would Jimmy have walked the straight and narrow if Chuck had not sabotaged him? I have a hard time thinking he would have. He was a con man...deep down it was what he was and no matter what Chuck did I would guess he was always going to be a con man. As the show was being aired I thought what Chuck did was horrid. It was his brother and no matter what you back your brothers play...UNLESS his actions could hurt other people. This is where the show goes in a direction I do not know a lot about. I have older brothers so can relate to that part of it, but the brother who is dirty? I do not have one of those. Would I continue to back my brother if he was a con man? Probably not. Still love him of course, but help him? Nope.

Exactly! Jimmy's a Con Man. It doesn't mean that he's not capable of doing the right thing sometimes, but just look at the evidence from the show. He gets his degree struggles, then does the right thing and helps a bunch of people. But then, after his brother shoots him down (as he should have because his brother is right about him), he goes back to Chicago, hooks up with his old buddy and goes right back to being a five and dime Con Man like he's never missed a day. That is who he is. Just because we are seeing things from his point of view, it doesn't make him totally good. And as Mike said to that guy.......you can be a GOOD criminal and a BAD cop. Jimmy can be good while being a con man, but he's still a con man.

It's like Walter White. We see him as a good guy in the beginning, but he's so good at being a bad guy, that Walt was probably pretty much faking being a good guy all along. He was the devil (as Jesse said), and his mortality brought it out.

I really don't think that is the point being made by filling in the Jimmy back story.

And with regards to Walter, I don't think he wasn't 'faking it' all along either.

He reached a point in his life where he stopped worrying about the the consequences due his imminent mortality and started questioning what being the 'good guy' really got him. Financially, in the form of leaving Gray Matter and seeing it blow up. Intellectually in the form of becoming an unappreciated teacher and not really well respected for his intelligence by those around him. Romantically in the form of being betrayed by his girlfriend and best friend.

I would argue the point of Breaking Bad is that an otherwise solid member of society can Break Bad if the circumstances set up for it. In other words, we all are 'faking it' / have the devil in us to some extent. It is easy for people to overlook the good in their respective lives and think they should have gotten more. I hear people talk like that all the time. Hell, I think like that from time to time. I guess we all are fake.

I really don't think that is the point being made by filling in the Jimmy back story.

And with regards to Walter, I don't think he wasn't 'faking it' all along either.

He reached a point in his life where he stopped worrying about the the consequences due his imminent mortality and started questioning what being the 'good guy' really got him. Financially, in the form of leaving Gray Matter and seeing it blow up. Intellectually in the form of becoming an unappreciated teacher and not really well respected for his intelligence by those around him. Romantically in the form of being betrayed by his girlfriend and best friend.

I would argue the point of Breaking Bad is that an otherwise solid member of society can Break Bad if the circumstances set up for it. In other words, we all are 'faking it' / have the devil in us to some extent. It is easy for people to overlook the good in their respective lives and think they should have gotten more. I hear people talk like that all the time. Hell, I think like that from time to time. I guess we all are fake.

I can't remember now exactly, but don't they kind of allude to Walt not being without fault when it came to being shut out of Grey matter?

Exactly! Jimmy's a Con Man. It doesn't mean that he's not capable of doing the right thing sometimes, but just look at the evidence from the show. He gets his degree struggles, then does the right thing and helps a bunch of people. But then, after his brother shoots him down (as he should have because his brother is right about him), he goes back to Chicago, hooks up with his old buddy and goes right back to being a five and dime Con Man like he's never missed a day. That is who he is. Just because we are seeing things from his point of view, it doesn't make him totally good. And as Mike said to that guy.......you can be a GOOD criminal and a BAD cop. Jimmy can be good while being a con man, but he's still a con man.

It's like Walter White. We see him as a good guy in the beginning, but he's so good at being a bad guy, that Walt was probably pretty much faking being a good guy all along. He was the devil (as Jesse said), and his mortality brought it out.

Maybe. I think he's a guy who's going to work with the opportunities he has. He will resort to being a con man if there is a lack of opportunity, but deep down he wants to be something better and will be give that opportunity.

I just started watching "The Man in the High Castle" on my Amazon Prime account. I'm 3 episodes into it, and it is really good. Basic premise is that the axis won WWII, and now the United States is split between the Nazi's and the Japanese (West Coast-Japan, East Coast-Germany). I think this show takes place around the early to mid 60's. There are rumors that Hitler has a debilitating disease and likely will not be around much longer. The Japanese feel that once Hitler is gone, the Germans will likely try and take over the West Coast from them. There is a faction of American rebels that are secretly planning a coup and the "Man in the High Castle" has something to do with this plan. It's pretty ruthless in terms of how the Germans and Japanese handle things.

That's as much as I know right now. It has 10 episodes in season 1, and I just heard they are working on Season 2.

I can't remember now exactly, but don't they kind of allude to Walt not being without fault when it came to being shut out of Grey matter?

It really isn't made perfectly clear, but the suggestion was that he realized he was the third wheel and the resulting awkwardness of being in business with his ex-lover and best friend who are now lovers together was enough to get him to leave the business out of embarrassment for relatively little money.

So I am clear, I am not suggesting Walt was faultless or handled everything well or good. He clearly didn't. His pride is what prevented him from simply asking his friends for money or assistance in paying for medical care, which they would have happily provided, for example.

My point is that had he not been diagnosed with cancer -or- had been in a better position financially, he wouldn't have broken bad. It wasn't because he was secretly more devil or more interested in being bad than any number of people. He just was more disillusioned, had far less to lose (in his mind), felt a larger need to make lots of $$$ to feed his ego, and was more capable than the next guy.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I just started watching "The Man in the High Castle" on my Amazon Prime account. I'm 3 episodes into it, and it is really good. Basic premise is that the axis won WWII, and now the United States is split between the Nazi's and the Japanese (West Coast-Japan, East Coast-Germany). I think this show takes place around the early to mid 60's. There are rumors that Hitler has a debilitating disease and likely will not be around much longer. The Japanese feel that once Hitler is gone, the Germans will likely try and take over the West Coast from them. There is a faction of American rebels that are secretly planning a coup and the "Man in the High Castle" has something to do with this plan. It's pretty ruthless in terms of how the Germans and Japanese handle things.

That's as much as I know right now. It has 10 episodes in season 1, and I just heard they are working on Season 2.

The previous page in this thread discusses the Man in the High Castle, FWIW. But spoilers are there.

It really isn't made perfectly clear, but the suggestion was that he realized he was the third wheel and the resulting awkwardness of being in business with his ex-lover and best friend who are now lovers together was enough to get him to leave the business out of embarrassment for relatively little money.

So I am clear, I am not suggesting Walt was faultless or handled everything well or good. He clearly didn't. His pride is what prevented him from simply asking his friends for money or assistance in paying for medical care, which they would have happily provided, for example.

My point is that had he not been diagnosed with cancer -or- had been in a better position financially, he wouldn't have broken bad. It wasn't because he was secretly more devil or more interested in being bad than any number of people. He just was more disillusioned, had far less to lose (in his mind), felt a larger need to make lots of $$$ to feed his ego, and was more capable than the next guy.

For sure

Maybe. I think he's a guy who's going to work with the opportunities he has. He will resort to being a con man if there is a lack of opportunity, but deep down he wants to be something better and will be give that opportunity.

I agree, and I think it was presented that he thought getting a law degree would enable him to do good / get out of being a con man / earn his brother's trust and respect.

I really hate the whole super hero thingy but Jessica Jones on Netflix is pretty entertainIng so far. And damn is she hot!

I took your recommendation on this one. I'm only three episodes in and I like it so far.

I remember the girl who plays Jessica from a show called "The **** In Apartment B", or something like that, Who knew she could act?

I took your recommendation on this one. I'm only three episodes in and I like it so far.

I remember the girl who plays Jessica from a show called "The **** In Apartment B", or something like that, Who knew she could act?

She was in Breaking Bad as well.

Gillian Anderson is hotter than ever. I saw her on a British show called "The Fall" and va va voom!

X-Files is back. I enjoyed it.

Started watching Nurse Jackie too and I really like it.

I dug Nurse Jackie.

I thought the X Files episode was god awful though. That dialogue.....

I thought the X Files episode was god awful though. That dialogue.....

Me too. I think they had a challenge to set the stage, and unravel previous plot lines for the opening episode. I'm going to give it another try tonight, but not sure I like the direction it's going.

Me too. I think they had a challenge to set the stage, and unravel previous plot lines for the opening episode. I'm going to give it another try tonight, but not sure I like the direction it's going.

Yeah, that's what I owe that too. If it's the same tonight, I might be out.

The first two were not well reviewed by the critics but the third is supposedly very good. 4-6 were not sent out for review in advance so who knows how it finishes up.

I didn't see last night's but I will try to watch both of them tonight.

The first two were not well reviewed by the critics but the third is supposedly very good. 4-6 were not sent out for review in advance so who knows how it finishes up.

I didn't see last night's but I will try to watch both of them tonight.

I watched it for 10 years so I'll probably just stick with it................It's free. It's winter.........no baseball......Wings are boring.............why not watch?

Just watched Sunday's episode and as others here have said it was rough, especially the last third of the episode. Will give it a couple more before I determine whether or not I'll bail.